Thread: noob looking for guidance

Thanks

noob looking for guidance

Hello all. Not new to the homebrew scene, just been out of the loop for a while (was all over the zedla exploit when it surfaced). Anyway, threw in the towel a while ago and got a wasabi chip and have been running DVD-r backups using one of the LG DVD drives and rawdump with no problem.... until SMB came out. Now from what I read, us chipped folks have to wait for the manufacturers (wasabi, wiikey etc) to release an update/fix. Thus began my quest back into homebrew for more than my nes/snes emulators. I read that you can boot an iso (basically) from a usb device connected to the appropriate port (left/bottom) on your wii. I was excited to give it a go. In short, I spent the afternoon trying a variety of different faq's, guides, and suggestions with no luck. Here is where I am hung up. I launch USB loader GX and an prompted with the screen "waiting for slow usb device" and it times out and takes me back to the wii system menu. I have referenced the compatibility chart. I tried 3 different external hard drives, and 2 different thumb drives with no success. I have made sure to mark said partitions as active and primary with no formatting, also tried fat/fat32 with no success. At this point, I think I am facing something other than a hardware compatibility issue, as I verified 3 out of the 5 hardware IDs I was using were in the list marked as "working". I cant really be too specific as to all the IOS stuff I have tried, as I still dont have a firm grasp on how it exactly works, but, I have tried the 4.0NoCIOSfix, but was greeted with "you must be a pirate, bye" message, tried cIOS36_rev9, tried this walk through - http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...d-any-wii.html (was not able to install IOS60 or NeoGamma r8b7), and probably a handful of other things I can't remember.

At this point, im looking for some help on getting things straightened out so I can load from a USB drive. I am on 4.1u on the wii.

Any one might be willing to throw me a bone? Do I need to go back to 3.4 or a different firmware on my wii?

Thanks, and sorry for the lengthy post as a noob. Flame away, just looking for some help

Thanks
    smb is calling me

Thanks
    Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,453 Posts
    Had a quick read through and the only thing that I notice is that your inability to install wads leads me to believe you do not have cIOS installed, or if you do then it's not working properly.

Try TBR http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...0-4-1-wii.html

You should then be good to go.
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
    Had a quick read through and the only thing that I notice is that your inability to install wads leads me to believe you do not have cIOS installed, or if you do then it's not working properly.

Try TBR http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...0-4-1-wii.html

You should then be good to go.
    Thanks, I forgot to mention that above. I ran through the TBR yesterday amongst all the other stuff I tried. I could try it again and see if I get any different results. What do you think about downgrading from 4.1u? I ran the update from the SMB disc when I got my hands on it, so maybe there is something in that update that is affecting things?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,453 Posts
    If you succeeded in installing TBR you would be able to install wads. I wouldn't have thought that NSMB update would have affected IOS249, that's more a 4.2 thing...but you never know. I'm sur you aren't the only one who has updated using NSMB.
    Not really doing much Wii stuff these days.