[Tutorial] Manually patch NSMB with hex editor
How to manually patch the NSMB using WiiScrubber 1.4 and a hex editor.
I had to do this because my patched main.dol was wrong and caused it to black screen when loading it on usb loader. Everything on the net was for the PAL version. After fixing it, no more black screen. Use this to verify you have a good patched game.
If you have a patched game, look for 4E 80 00 20. If it's at 0x1ab750 you got the pal patched version. If it's at 0x001AB610 you got the NTSC patched version. Don't see 4E 80 00 20 at those locations, then the game is not patched and won't run in any loader. Find out which version it is and use the corresponding fix below. (Note: 4E 80 00 20 is used in multiple location within the code. Just focus on either 0x1ab750 or 0x001AB610)
First get a hex editor. I'm using "Free Hex Editor Neo" and can be downloaded here Free Hex Editor Neo Download Page.
Of course get WiiScrubber 1.4 and an unpatched NSMB.
so "Here we go" - quote from Mario Mario.
1. In the WiiScrubber 1.4 directory, run MakeKeyBin.
2. Enter 42 and click generate. (must do this or else you will get a bad image message when loading WiiScrubber 1.4)
3. Load WiiScrubber.
4. Click Load ISO and select the NSMB unpatched ISO. If you get bad, make sure you redo step 1 and 2. If you still get bad, well then it's a bad iso and will never run.
5. Click the plus sign for "Partition:1 - Data (0) (New SUPER MARIO BROS. wII)
6. Right click Main.dol and extract.
7. Run Free Hex Editor Neo or any other hex editor.
8. File -> Open and select the main.dol you just extracted.
9. Click Edit -> Go to offset or press CTRL + G
10. Enter 0x001AB610 for NTSC (0x1ab750 for PAL) and click ok. The default "Hexadecimal" and "Absolute offset" is correct.
11. 94 will be hightlighted.
12. Look at that and the next 3 boxes. It reads 94 21 FF D0. (If it reads 4E 80 00 20 then it's already a patched iso) (if it reads something else, are you sure you got the NSMB iso?)
13. Change it to 4E 80 00 20. (94 to 4e, 21 to 80, FF to 00, D0 to 20) [These are the number 0]
Note: Pal users also change it to 4E 80 00 20.
14. Save it.
15. Go back to WiiScrubber.
16. Replace Main.dol with the one you just modified. (Right Click Main.dol and click replace)
17. Click the x at the top right to close Wii Scrubber.
Congrats, you manually patched the NSMB game.
Last edited by jtan0980; 11-23-2009 at 02:26 PM.
6 Users Say Thank You to jtan0980 For This Useful Post
Or... you could just do this which takes 10 seconds
2 Users Say Thank You to mattjjjj0 For This Useful Post
Originally Posted by jtan0980
I can confirm the PAL offset at 0x1ab750 = 94 21 FF D0.
I have changed as per NTSC (to 4E 80 00 20) and am testing now..
Thanks for the info jtan0980!
Also, given WiiUR.exe (Update Remover) no longer works, whats the easiest way to hex out the update (I assume deleting the update partition will only cause problems?)
Last edited by Draxxx; 11-23-2009 at 04:00 AM.
okay where do i get neogamma
Thanks. I've updated my post accordingly.
Originally Posted by Draxxx
It can be downloaded at this post http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-games/28...ario-bros.html
Originally Posted by timdogg69er
I have no clue how to remove the updates. I tend to make 1:1 backups and leave them in. It's more of a hassle to remove them then it's worth. Also, leaving them in ensures I have the correct IOS/files installed on my system to play the game.
Originally Posted by Draxxx