New to this..
Hey guys.. I'm new here. I've read a bunch of posts from the community.. and all I can say is what a great site and bunch of people you all are.
I had my wii chipped about 2 years ago. It has been great to play my backups.
I know the wii is capable of doing so much more than I know. I have so many questions and don't know where to start. I have a chipped wii, no homebrew channel.. nothing else... so any advice.. please consider this fact.
Here is what I hope to accomplish:
1. I'd like to get more games via download if possible, however I've heard a lot of different things about getting games that don't work or that will brick my wii. .. so I have stayed away from it until now. I know it must work for a lot of people, so I 'm sure there are good sources of games out there. Any recommendations of reliable sources would be greatly appreciated.
(I think there are some apps that you put on the wii so it won't get blocked, but again, I don't know when/how to install them)
(I also know that I will need to install the homebrew channel.. need a little help with this too)
2. I have seen some games that are in multiple segments in .rar files. I can download those, but how do I join those back together to get a whole iso file again?
3. I saw a post on scrubbing a game.. saying that it takes junk filler out of the games reducing the size of the download. After downloading the core of the game, you put the junk back in so you can burn the game? I don't know.. interested, but don't know where to go with that.
4. Another thing that is very interesting to me is the CoverFlow app. I would love to see all of the covers while being able to load my games off of a usb hard drive. Any recommendations as to how I can go about this would be great.
5. I'd eventually like to install NES SMS emulators onto the wii too. I have a bunch of roms that I play on my computer, but I heard somewhere that you can play on the wii too.
Sorry this is a long post, but it's why I came to this site. Once I learn from people helping me, I'd be very willing to help others on this site. Thanks.. and happy to be here.
Last edited by eboss0523; 11-03-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Reason: slight change
EMPRESS of ALL
Retired Head Admin
Do NOT PM for Site or Wii Issues
Hello and welcome to the wiihacks community.
I know you are anxious to get started; but, there are a few items to cover before you post your questions or start doing anything to your Wii.
Make sure you read the rules of this site. There are a number of tutorials and guides available to assist you. Many of our new members find the tutorials for softmodding any 3.1-4.1 Wii and any 4.2 Wii particularly useful. Make sure to either look through the site tutorials and guides or use the search function before asking questions. While the moderators, staff, and members of this community are willing to help you, some effort on your part to read, research, and follow the rules is expected. To get the best response to your question(s), post in the associated forum areas. This is very important as inappropriate posting could get you restricted to the reading room or even banned. If, after looking at the tutorials and trying to search, you still need help or just want to post a very basic type of question, go to the http://www.wiihacks.com/wiihacks-newbie-corner/.
Wiihacks also has a chat room on irc://irc.uicn/wiihacks. After reading the irc rules, please feel free to join in the light-hearted chats and activities. While any irc client can connect to #wiihacks on the UICN, ChatZilla, for those with Mozilla’s Firefox browser, is easy to install and use.
If this site and our members have provided substantive help, you can Donate to the forum and get a nice banner under your name and gain access to the donator forums.
To play backup games from an external USB HDD, you should first softmod your Wii. Use the tutorial link that matches your Wii and follow the step-by-step softmod tutorial. The softmod files that you will download are in a compressed archival format called rar; Google for a trial application called WinRar. This same program will extract and combine those game ISOs that were of interest to you. Following a successful softmod, you can prepare your HDD for play by following this tutorial: http://www.wiihacks.com/other-faq-gu...s-usb-hdd.html.
Please note that the Introductions Forum is intended for an introduction to you as a new member. As this is your first post, no problem just post any future questions in the appropriate areas. Welcome and enjoy your stay with us.