Thread: Salutations everyone! new user here with a quick IOS question.

Salutations everyone! new user here with a quick IOS question.

Hi everyone! I'm new to these forums and pretty much the wii homebrew scene, so please be gentle if I sound like a complete noob.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading lately on the IOS aspect of the wii. From what I understand, cIOS installation requires an existing IOS on the wii as a base. At least this is what I think based on trying to install Hermes' cIOS 222 and 223. However, what I would like to know is why is this so, i.e., why must the cIOS 222 installation use IOSXX or IOSXX merged with IOSXX as a base?

Also, what difference does it make if I use one option as opposed to another, for instance if I chose to install cIOS 222 using IOS36 as a base as opposed to using IOS38 merged with 36?

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

IOSs are primarily generated and installed in the Wii console by Ninty. It's required to run generic/official games. If IOSs are unexpectedly, or mistakenly, deleted, u'll be honored with a lovely ivory brick with Wii labelled.

CIOSs are coded by hackers for applications based on homebrew channel (the platform). It's required to improve {against generic IOS}ur game fun with backups, usb-loader,.....etc. These're being updated, installed and applied fm time to time.

as a new player on IOS/cIOS update/installation, suggest to pay attention on the order / sequence on each of the wad files. Potential risk of overlook is, again, brick-o-ivory.
    Last edited by billyhome; 10-22-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks billy! I understand that IOSs and cIOSs can co-exist on the wii and that the regular wii games will choose whichever they need at run time. I also understand that using a loader to run backups allows me to choose which cIOS I would like to use to run the game (if it's 249, 222 or 223).

I have also read on the differences between using the different cIOSs (that 222 and 223 can be used for games like RB and GH) but what about if I installed 222 with IOS36 instead of IOS38 merged with 36, will this affect my running of backups? or will this have no effect whatsoever?