Page 1 of 436 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!

Retired WiiHacks Staff ShadowSonic2's Avatar

Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!

This guide is outdated has been superceded with the Softmod Any Wii guide. Keeping it here for historical purposes only.
    [Spoiler=Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!]

Tested and Working. Updated as at 24th April 2011 Anything done to your console is at your own RISK!

Mod Pack: DOWNLOAD

[spoiler=Preparation]
    If you're not on 4.2, Do NOT Update, instead use this tutorial

This is for people stuck on 4.2 with no cIOS. Make sure your sd card is formatted to FAT32 or FAT16 and your Wii is connected to the net through Wi-Fi (although it should be possible to do offline), then download this pack (might need to wait 5 seconds and skip the ad), Unzip the pack and place the files and folders onto the root of your sd card. A 2GB SD Card is recommended. SanDisk works well, you can find them here. Your sd card should like this:
    X:\apps\
    X:\00000001\
    X:\wad\
    X:\private\
    X:\boot.elf
    X:\hacks_hash.ini
    X:\IOS36-64-v3608.wad
    X:\IOS36-64-v3351.wad
    X:\IOS15-64-v1032.wad
    X:\IOS15-64-v523.wad
    X:\IOS15-64-v257.wad
    X:\mmmconfig.txt
    [/spoiler]

TAKE OUT ALL GAMECUBE MEMORY CARDS AND CONTROLLERS BEFORE PROCEEDING
    MAKE SURE TO HAVE MORE THAN 350+ BLOCKS FREE ON THE WII!

Chapter 1 - Hacking Your Wii
    [spoiler=Click Me To Start!]
    Step 1 - Installing Homebrew Channel and Bootmii

a. On your wii's main menu, click the SD Menu icon. Afterwards, insert the SD Card into the Wii. A Pop up saying Load boot.dol/elf? should appear. Select Yes.

b. The Hackmii Installer should now run. Make sure to install Homebrew Channel and Bootmii as an IOS and/or boot2. Always install it as boot2 if your wii can.

Step 2 - Backup Your Wii's NAND

It is highly recommended to make a NAND Backup with bootmii as it can save you from 99% of bricks. That is, if you can install bootmii as boot2. You'll need a SD Card with atleast 550 MB free on it. Also note bootmii can be picky about SD Cards so its best to avoid generic ones. The 2gb Sandisk MicroSD with an Adapter is recommended.

a) Place the SD Card into your wii and power it on. If bootmii was installed as boot2, the bootmii screen should automatically appear, if it was installed as an IOS, then you'll have to go to homebrew channel, press 'home' on your wiimote then select 'Load Bootmii'

b) Navigate using the power/reset/eject buttons on the front of your console and select the icon with the gears on it. If the console buttons don't work, you'll have to use a gamecube controller.

c) Now select the icon that has an arrow pointing to a SD Card but from the chip. Then follow the on-screen instructions to backup your NAND.

d) In 10 - 15 minutes, the NAND Backup should be complete. You may have gotten a few bad blocks but any number of bad blocks under 80 is normal and fine. Once all is done, you can exit bootmii.

e) Remove the SD Card from your wii and insert into your PC, backup the 'bootmii' folder, the 'NAND.bin' file and 'key.bin' file from your sd card onto a safe place on your PC. Once these files/folders are on your PC, delete them from your SD Card. If you do not and bootmii as boot2 is installed, it will load everytime!

If you were to ever brick, just copy the bootmii folder and 'NAND.bin' from your PC onto the root of your SD Card. Then repeat parts a, b & c but this time selecting the icon that points to the chip. While bootmii/boot2 can save you from full bricks, bootmii/IOS cannot! It is not recommended to use bootmii as an IOS to restore your NAND!

Step 3 - Restoring The Bug Into IOS36
    a) Load and Homebrew Channel and run MMM.
    b) Choose "Install and Patch iOS36"
    c) Select "Express Mode"
    d) Done. Press Any Button to Continue.

Step 4 - Installing Priiloader (Brick Protection and System Hacks)
    a) Load Homebrew Channel and run Priiloader v0.6 installer.

b) Press + on the wiimote to install.

c) Your wii should reboot into Priiloader after the installation (If it doesn't, power off your Wii and hold reset on the console while turning it on). Go to System Menu Hacks and enable 'Block Disc Updates' and any other hacks you would like, select 'Save Settings' when finish. Press B on the wiimote to go back to the main menu, next go to Settings and use the d-pad to set Autoboot: System Menu. Then select Save Settings. Press B to go back to the main menu. If you get any problems, look here

d) In the main menu, select homebrew channel to load the homebrew channel and proceed with Step 5.

Step 5 - Installing cIOS and Channels
    a) Launch Homebrew Channel and Load MMM.
    b) Go to "Load another IOS" Select IOS236 and Press A
    c) Select "WAD Manager"
    d) Press '1' on the WiiMote then 'A'.
    e) This will install all cIOS and WADs.
    f) Do NOT power the Wii during installation, ensure this finishes with no errors.

Once done, you'll have all the necessary cIOS and Backup Launchers.

Congratulations, Enjoy your Softmodded Wii, also remember to check out the extra things below and Follow Me on Twitter (Click Here).
    [/spoiler]

Chapter 2 - Updating Your Wii
    [spoiler=(Optional) Chapter 2 - Updating Your Wii]
    Not required but handy. This updates all of the iOS on your Wii. Remember, any power failures during this installation can result in a PERMANENT BRICK unless you have BootMii/Boot2!
    1.REQUIRED: Re-format or erase your SD Card! Backup all the files on it before you do this to safe place on your computer!
    2. Download this pack and unzip it.
    3. Place the files and folders onto the root of your SD Card. Your SD Card should look like this;
    X:/apps/
    X:/wad/
    X:/mmmconfig.txt

4. Start Homebrew Channel and load Multi-Mod Manager (MMM)
    5. Select the "WAD Manager" option.
    6. Press '1' on the WiiMote then Press 'A'.
    7. It should now begin installing all the .wads
    8. Once its done successfully, exit.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler=EXTRA STUFF]

Prepare your NTFS USB HDD for USB Loading - here

Install the new cIOScorp 4.0/DarkCORP 1.0 for DVDR loading through Disc Channel - (works on all wiis except D3-2) - Download - make sure you read the readme!

Use your Wii as a media player with MPlayer CE & DVDX

Install custom MIOS for Gamecube Backups - here

Get some emulators for all your old favourites (better than vc except for N64)

DVD-R

You need to use either Verbatim DVD-R or Ritek G05 DVD-R for your games, most other discs won't work. Have a look at our disc section for more info.

Also note, if your console came with 4.2, there's a chance you'll have a D3-2 Drive which will not load DVDR Backups.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Credits]
    Credit to: Team Twizzers, Tona, Marc, Comex, WiiPower, Hermes & Waninkoko
    Special Thanks to DogEggs (The Entire 'Extra Stuff' Section is all his)
    Special Thanks to s0ur (For ALOT of Testing!)
    Special Thanks to nightstah (Spotted ALOT of Typos and threw in many ideas)
    Special Thanks to Krank (More error-spotting)
    Special Thanks to mauifrog (cIOS wads)
    Special Thanks to robgee789 (Banner)
    [/spoiler]

If you're looking for an External Hard Drive for USB Loading (better than Disc Loading by far), check out Amazon.com

Donate
    We're collecting donations to help cover the cost of the servers and website for Homebrew Repo

OR if you don't want to donate, click this link before shopping at Amazon to Support:
    Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

-If this did or did not work please leave feedback.

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE SOLVED BY SEARCHING

[/SPOILER]
    Last edited by BluPhant; 04-06-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Hmm i just found out about it... We need feedback on this... From where i see it you can just run cios38rev14 from cboot 2... anyone works it out pls tell

That's why i'm waiting before i move it to the tutorial section. I was thinking about doing something like this this morning then when i researched, the person used a slightly different method to what i had in mind.

I'll thank you....... if it works =D

This time i made sure....

I'm gonna help you

Wiihacks IRC
    MK:1333-5496-0297
    Brawl: 2406-5287-1013

what does he delete ios249 for? and what ios does the wadmanager run on? hardly makes sense to me...

Wad manager runs of off the bootmii IOS. Not sure why he uninstalled cause i'm pretty sure that the stub wouldn't have anything preventing it from being overwritten. If anyone can confirm wether the stub IOS249 can simply be overwritten or not, i'd make the necessary changes.

so, out of the SD card, you dont need any ios to use to get it working??? select, no ios reload and just works? interesting

Quote Originally Posted by messie View Post
    what does he delete ios249 for? and what ios does the wadmanager run on? hardly makes sense to me...
    IOS249 is being deleted because it is useless on an already upgraded 4.2 wii.

As for what IOS wad manager is running from, it looks like it is being booted via bootmii, im not positive this would work, but it's worth a try for someone.
    Wii Specs:
    4.1E PAL BootMii as BOOT2,Preloader
    cIOSCORP v3.5 ,IOS 249,Latest cMIOS and cIOS

Cioscorp v3.4 : DOWNLOAD

TECHNOM8T's Ultimate SystemMenu Archive

TECHNOM8T's Ultimate cIOS & IOS Archive

TECHNOM8T's Ultimate cMIOS & MIOS Archive

actually guys ove GBA temp say it works...
    now where is jamie when you need him??

Quote Originally Posted by messie View Post
    actually guys ove GBA temp say it works...
    now where is jamie when you need him??
    Last i herd from him was a PM , he bricked one of his Wii's :-((
    Wii Specs:
    4.1E PAL BootMii as BOOT2,Preloader
    cIOSCORP v3.5 ,IOS 249,Latest cMIOS and cIOS

Cioscorp v3.4 : DOWNLOAD

TECHNOM8T's Ultimate SystemMenu Archive

TECHNOM8T's Ultimate cIOS & IOS Archive

TECHNOM8T's Ultimate cMIOS & MIOS Archive

Page 1 of 436 1231151101 ... LastLast