Thread: Recovering from brick

Recovering from brick

Hey guys

New to the this whole thing, been trying to get gamma working for days so I did the stupid thing of reinstalling ios60patched. That bricked the system menu, luckily I had preloader installed and had access to HBC + wad manager and everything else, even network features.

I managed to reinstall system menu thanks to the file dogeggs provided and since I'm on a newer wii I don't have bootmii on boot2, so preloader is my only backup source. Now that I've installed the SM, preloader is gone and I know that I have to ask here before I do anything stupid

To get preloader back, do I reinstall ios 60 patched and then install preloader? What if it bricks? I followed this guide by dogeggs to softmod my wii. Now that the SM is back, it's pretty much the same as it was before. HBC, Gamma etc, just no preloader.

I think I've made this thread much longer than it should be, simple question is how do I get preloader back, now that I've got a fresh system menu. I've only got one shot at it because if it bricks I have no other to get to HBC! I've gotta find someone near me that wants to trade wii's or something...really want one of the older ones

Edit: Oh also, now that I've got a fresh system menu (4.1E) I'm assuming that the wads I've installed for cios are no longer installed? (The 4 wads that are featured in dogeggs guide)

So basically, am I looking at starting his guide again, but from Step 2 (Trucha bug restorer to do the whole IOS 35/15 thing, install cios38, install IOS 60 patched, then install preloader) is that what I should be doing?

Seriously gotta buy a modchip since I'm on the new wii..or trade this one for one of the older models so I can install bootmii. Since I no longer have preloader and a fresh system menu, is it safe to just delete HBC and pass the wii off to someone else?
    Last edited by Musti; 09-18-2009 at 06:41 PM.

For anyone ever in the same boat as me, I continued the guide from step 2. Preloader is now back on the wii and everything is fine

Must go buy a 16GB USB drive tomorrow or something!