Purchased a wii already modded.
I've got a few questions.
1) I just purchased a already modded wii from a guy I can no longer get a hold of (weird) and I want to find out what chip I have in it, is there any easy way to find out without opening it?
2) I was given 25 copied games with it. is there any way I can tell what origin they are from? (NTSC, JAP, PAL) I want to go online but im affraid of being bricked if they are not NTSC.
3) Is the only way of getting bricked is if you try and update a wrong region?
4) last and final question I've thought about starting to mod wiis and thought of buying a chip called the wii kit to use. has anyone heard of this chip? and if so the negatives / positives of it.
thanks for your time guys.
1) Cool, but not unless you open it. You can do some trial and error though. If you goto wiikey.cn and download the iso firmware and burn it and open it with a dvd-r and it works, then you have a wiikey. But your pretty much on your own without being able to open it and look.
Originally Posted by Born2dub
2) You probably wont be able to figure it out unless you notice things like the word Color spelled Colour, or if everything is in japanse. you might be able to find the region code out by putting the disc into your computer and using burning software to figure it out, maybe even making an iso of it and looking at the settings that it has. it will say what region code it is.
3) The only way to brick is to update with the wrong firmware region. just use the dashboard update in your wii settings menu to keep your firmware up to date. you can also brick it if you solder wrong points together, like the power to the main information channel or something stupid.
4) The wiikit is a knock off of a wii key, with less support and has a problem with booting backups on the first time Here is a table of the chips out now
Compare Wii ModCips : Nintendo Wii [MOD]
that page seems to sum up the best chips.