Thread: Wii Not Reading Any Discs

Wii Not Reading Any Discs

I have had Homebrew channel with the backup launcher installed for a few months now and everything was working fine. About a month ago I installed Cioscorp and Starfall so I could run all my back ups through the disc channel and that worked fine also. A few days after that I had to unplug my Wii and I put it in my closet, I took out the SD card and reformatted it to use for something else. I figured I didn't need it anymore since all the applications were saved on the Wii. Today I plugged it in to play a back up game
    and it gave the disc read error in the disc channel then I tried the backup loader and that gave me dvd read error (349). So after that I tried a genuine game that wasn't burned and that didn't work either it gave me the same message. Frustrated I made the mistake of formatting my Wii hoping it would fix the problem but it still doesn't work and now I cant even reinstall the Homebrew Channel since it doesn't read any discs anymore. I cant send it to Nintendo cause my Warranty ran out already.

My Wii is unmodded with firmware 3.4u.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I would recommend buying a new drive, I think your laser must have burnt out.

Modderman can supply you with a new one.
    YES! I finally finished my Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas port for Mac! I'm so happy

May not be your case but my wife was trying to play and she called me I was at the store she said it said error 349 and the originals did not work , I rushed home to find out she was putting the disc in backwards with the label towards the on button.

Thanks for the responses, wish it was a problem with the way I was putting in the disc heh. If it is a problem with the laser do you know why it would burn out I used my Wii for about a few months and the discs I use are Sony Dvd+R.

allow me to share my cents:
    1. error 349 is of media. dvd+r is unlikey a good book for wii to read. it prefers dvd-r as sushi in most consoles.
    2. ur wii console was softmodded. but.....after u formatting the wii, the installed cIOS and IOS were gone. that's, pushing u away from playable. u need to redo "softmod", now.
    3. no need to buy a new dvd-rom atm. keep ur $$ in pocket.
    4. for an unmodded (no mod-chip) wii, backup disc will not be loaded in Disc Channel. it must be load via Launcher/BKup channel.
    5. at 3.4u, installing homebrew channel need a bit more works. u may like to start from this thread : 3.1/3.4 Twlight/Downgrade/StarFall/Gamma Tutorial (credit: EmpororofCanada, nov.28,2008, Recommended FAQ/....)
    http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...html#post72929

goodl luck.
    Last edited by billyhome; 03-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.

The problem was you were using DVD+R discs. They work, but tend to work the laser a bit too much.

I may be wrong, I'm still trying to fully understand this whole DVD business, but I know for sure that you shouldn't use DVD+R discs for backups.

Use DVD-R in the future.
    YES! I finally finished my Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas port for Mac! I'm so happy

the BEST solution is to use authentic nintendo disc in future !