Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendont Guide - USB Loading GameCube Games On Wii U (And Wii)

Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    VWA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,004 Posts

Nintendont Guide - USB Loading GameCube Games On Wii U (And Wii)

Intro:

Whether your old Wii's disc drive died out or you bought a Wii U, you may find yourself wanting to be able to play your old GameCube favorites. Sadly Nintendo has not added GCN games to the Virtual Console service and who knows if they ever will. That's where the power of Homebrew comes in. Thanks to the very talented homebrew developers out there, playing GCN games on a Family Wii or Wii U, both of which are incapable or reading GCN discs and have no GCN controller or memory card ports, is now possible. This guide will get you running GCN games from a USB hard drive in no time. As many of you may, or may not know, there are other ways to play GCN games on your Wii or Wii U as well. I thought I should detail them and list their key differences.

Dios Mios/Lite: Original Wii only, Requires installation on the system NAND, does not support audio streaming which is an issue for some games, requires a GCN compatible system for controls.

Devolution: Wii and Wii U Compatible, No installation required, supports audio streaming, requires one time verification of GCN discs due to anti-piracy measures, requires functioning disc drive (for said verification), requires a GCN compatible Wii (verifying GCN discs).

Nintendont: Wii and Wii U Compatible, No installation required, supports audio streaming, does not require a GCN compatible system, does not require a functioning disc drive.

All three apps work well and will definitely get the job done. Which ever one you choose and prefer will be up to you, you can find a link to my Devolution guide in my signature if you want to check that out. Personally I recommend Devolution and Nintendont in tandem with each other if your system has a functioning GCN compatible disc drive. On the chance you run into issues with a game in one app, you never know, it may work perfect in the other. Now without further adieu, I present the guide!

Part 1: Preparation

You will obviously need to mod your Wii or Wii U's vWii before doing this. I have linked the respective guides below in the requirements list. *BE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE CORRECT SOFTMOD GUIDE FOR YOUR SYSTEM! YOU WILL BRICK IF YOU USE THE WRONG GUIDE!*

Aside from the obvious files which will be linked below, you'll also need the following. If it says optional, don't worry about it, it's a convenience item and you can go without it.

1. A modded Wii (Softmod ANY Wii Guide) or Wii U system (Virtual Wii (Wii Mode) Softmod for Wii U Guide)
    2. An SD card and/or a USB device with at least 2gb of free space
    3. Compatible controller(s) such as a Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro, Wii U Pro Controller, or a PS3 Controller.
    4. An emulated memory card [Instructions in guide] (Only needed if you can't/don't want to use a real one)
    5. Retail GCN discs and the means to rip them (Optional; DO NOT ASK/OFFER WHERE TO DOWNLOAD GAMES)
    6. GCN Memory Card (Needed for importing your saves to Nintendont, otherwise optional)

Once you have all that it's time to get things going.

Part 2: Backing Up Your GameCube Games

If you have the means to create backups for the GCN discs you own as mentioned above, this section will guide you on how to do so. Please note that although the method below requires you to have access to a softmodded GCN compatible Wii system, there are other ways to rip your GCN discs as well. If you do not have the means of backing up your games I'm afraid you'll be on your own for that due to our anti-piracy rules. That said please refrain from asking for and offering ways to obtain downloads for games. Such comments will be ignored or, if need be, deleted.

Download and extract this: CleanRip.zip

Put the SD card in your Wii and turn the system on. Launch the Homebrew Channel and load CleanRip.

Read the disclaimer and press A, then select USB, select FAT (If your USB drive is not FAT32 STOP right here, format it to FAT32 with a cluster size of 32kb using this guide. Do not continue until you have done this, CleanRip can write to NTFS but your USB loaders will not load the GCN games unless your USB drive is FAT32, has a 32kb cluster size and is marked as primary and active), you'll now be asked to "insert a FAT32/NTFS formatted device". Make sure you have your device plugged into slot 0 (if your system is laying down it will be the bottom port, standing up and looking from behind it will be the one on the right). Press A again and choose yes to download the redump.org files, they are used to verify your games dumped properly.

Last step, insert your GameCube game disc, press A and wait...once it's done (make sure it completes 100%) you're good to go onto the next step.

Part 3: Using Nintendont

Now that you've got your games ripped it's time to start setting things up for Nintendont. Nintendont can be used as either a standalone app or in conjunction with your favorite USB loader. For this guide I will show you how to use it as a standalone app via the Homebrew Channel or with USB Loader GX integration. Nintendont is also capable of loading GCN ISOs from SD cards as well, however this guide is written with USB devices in mind. They give better value when you consider the space you get for the price you pay.

Download and extract this: Nintendont.rar. Now cut/copy and paste the Nintendont folder to SD/apps.

Please click the spoiler for your desired method below to continue the guide.

This is the easiest way to do it. If you're new to Homebrew and are looking for the quick and easy way, choose this method.

Nintendont Standalone App

This way is more for the people who know what they're doing. It's not necessarily difficult but it does require more effort.

USB Loader GX + Nintendont

Part 4: Nintendont Settings

Nintendont has a variety of settings to play with. For the most part you should leave them on their defaults and not mess with them but there are a few that will be important to know about, so I will detail them as best as I can here. Since the two apps list the settings differently I have placed them in specific spoilers. Click one for your desired method.

Nintendont Standalone App

USB Loader GX + Nintendont

Part 5: Setting Up An Emulated Memory Card

Nintendont, like Devolution, allows use of an emulated memory card for people who either can't use a real one or don't want to use a real one. However, unlike Devolution, the file type Nintendont uses for its emulated memory card is more universal. This section will instruct you how to use a backup of your real GCN memory card (Note:Part 5a requires you to have access to a softmodded GCN compatible Wii). If for whatever reason that is not an option for you, please skip to Part 5b. Otherwise keep reading Part 5a to learn how to backup and use your existing saves.

Part 5a: Extracting Saves From a GCN Memory Card

Download and extract this: GCMM.zip

Plug your GameCube memory card into slot A and load GCMM v1.4b from the Homebrew Channel. You will be asked to choose either SD or USB (I chose SD but it's up to you if you want to use USB instead). Use A (for SD) or B (for USB) to make your choice and you will now see a screen detailing which buttons preform what functions. In order for Nintendont to read the memory card you need a raw dump, so press B & - (minus) at the same time. Now select the slot your memory card is plugged into by pressing A and wait for the program to work its magic. Once it completes Press A and then Home to exit to the Homebrew Channel. Plug your SD card into your computer, navigate to the "MCBACKUP" folder on the root of the device you used and look inside for a file named something like "1019b_2013_01Jan_09_14-37-17.raw". In order for Nintendont to read this file properly you must rename it first. Navigate to the memory card raw on your SD card or USB drive and rename it to ninmem.raw. Note: If you're doing this guide on an old Wii make sure you remove the GameCube memory card from your Wii before continuing, you only needed it plugged in to rip your save data. Leaving the memory card inserted while trying to use emulated memory may possibly result in corruption.

Part 5b: Creating a New Emulated GCN Memory Card

Creating a blank emulated memory card is very quick and simple. All you need to do is enable Memory Card Emulation via your loaders settings (also set the cards size, 1019 or smaller is recommended), start a game and, if asked, format the card. You'll now have a blank emulated memory card ready for use. If you wish you can have the loader give each game their very own memory card. The purpose to this is if a emulated card corrupts you would only lose data for the card that corrupts and not all your data. In my experience corruption is about as rare as on emulated memory as it is on a real card, but this option is there if you feel safer using it.

To make the loaders use individual cards look for the following settings respectivly.

USB Loader GX: Memory Card Emulation (Set to Individual)

Nintendont Standalone App: Memcard Multi (Set to OFF)

Part 6: Special Thanks

Crediar and the Nintedont Team for Nintendont
    Teudj for Devolution
    USB Loader GX Team for USB Loader GX
    Emu_kidid for CleanRip
    Suloku for GCMM
    WiiHacks Staff for various guides and info that made this guide possible

2. 5 Users Say Thank You to SNES_Master For This Useful Post

VWA
    Thanks
    The guide has been restored! Complete with the latest update for Nintendont. Still need to figure out what to do about replacing the broken spoiler tags.

Anyway, its good to go now. I'll be switching the uploads to mediafire soon as I can but for now this will do.

Thanks
    Thanks, saved to the Wayback machine.

5. 1 User Says Thank You Nes_player4LIFE For This Useful Post

VWA
    Thanks
    Thanks. One more place to keep it if it should ever need to be restored again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My thoughts exactly.

VWA
    Thanks
    So I've really been having lots of fun with Nintendont letting my play GCN games on my Wii U. Even got the official controller adapter so I can use a real GCN controller. Now I'm just playing with general settings on my Wii and USB GX. One such thing I did was setup and enabled full NAND saves and channel emulation so nothing gets written to the vWii memory anymore (hopefully this will prolong the life of the system). Next up, I want to try and split all my saves from my GCN memory card dump into their own files on dedicated emulated memory cards (this is a feature of Nintendonts). Reason being if one save corrupts it won't affect the other game saves. I'll probably post back some results when I give it a shot. I have a feeling I'll need Dolphin to do it.

9. 1 User Says Thank You SNES_Master For This Useful Post

VWA
    Thanks
    So one strange issue I've encountered (not a big issue I guess), is that sharing the hard drive between my Wii and Wii U (Wii is in my bed room, Wii U is in the living room), is troublesome. In most ways it works with no issue, however with Nintendont it seems to have issues with the emulated memory cards. It may/probably is due to my Wii U using a USB HID controller well my old Wii is set to use a real GCN controller. Can't say for sure, but it seems that way. The reason I say this is cause if I tell Nintendont to use a Bluetooth controller on my old Wii it has no problem with the emu-card. I'll play around with it some more and see what happens, but sadly I don't expect it to let me use USB HID on Wii U and native on Wii.

Thanks
    Ustealth doesn't like anything emulated NAND nor MEMCARD. I could almost sware this is the issue. Test with Ustealth disabled. BECareful not to format!

VWA
    Thanks
    I actually haven't been using uStealth lol. I've heard it's very recommended due to the "format your drive warning." Does it have any other benefit besides that?

Thanks
    Nope no other benefits. It does what it need to.
    Anyhow that doesn't solve the issue the does it? HAHA.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast