Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wifi Connection To Be Shut Down In May.

Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    VWA

Nintendo Wifi Connection To Be Shut Down In May.

I wasn't aware it was still active to begin with but Nintendo will soon be shutting down the WFC. For a list of what is affected and all the details check the link below.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/det...Y7bvzOrgBURhzw

If I spelled something wrong, I'll just blame it on auto-correct

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    MK and SSBB? Man, you gotta be kidding me.

"Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time." So Netflix will stop working, too? That'd suck (I don't have an HD TV).

VWA
    From what I read it doesn't say Netflix or Hulu Plus will be affected.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    I think previous user wondered at the language and read it as potentially being subject to change at some future date.

VWA
    It's possible those services will also stop working on the old Wii one day if they go through Nintendo's WFC servers to function, I don't know much about how they work. I think they use their own servers from the publisher though. Again, I don't know the ins and outs of how those particular programs work, so I couldn't say for sure.

Yeah. "At this time" isn't assuring at all. But then again, some people can still play Phantasy Star Online, right?

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    Quote Originally Posted by SNES_Master View Post
    I think they use their own servers from the publisher though. Again, I don't know the ins and outs of how those particular programs work, so I couldn't say for sure.
    Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I do not know. That being said, why I mention the "maybe not" part: My Samsung Blu-Ray player BD-F5700 and others from the same series require connection to the Samsung servers when loading and using the built-in Netflix. Samsung's servers aren't the greatest, and they've gotten a lot of flak about their downtime (which prevents you from using Netflix).

That's quite ridiculous in rather than a direct connection to Netflix servers, Samsung requires their Smart Blu Ray players to connect to their own internal servers. Going from point A to B leaves a lot less to go wrong than an A to B to C solution.

WiiHacks Staff
    Senior Moderator
    Game Master
    I remember seeing a post awhile back as to how Netflix users could access the streaming service from a different region by changing the Netflix IP address on their Wiis. Hopefully that means that N is out of the loop. Same goes for treyarc and the cod series. I have friends I play mw3 with on occasion, and there are always a ton of other people playing.

Either way, I think this is a pretty crappy move by N. Should have seen it coming though with the Wii mini release....

VWA
    Yeah it does suck, but the Wii is a done system now. This may be a way to try and entice people to upgrade to the U.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast