Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Wii Shop Channel v21 Update

Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    VWA

[Guide] Wii Shop Channel v21 Update

Updating the Shop Channel:

The Wii Shop Channel is a great thing to have, possibly the biggest selling point to why the Wii sold so well. You can purchase many great games and apps, most notably some of the best NES, SNES and Sega Genesis games! The Shop Channel has been given a number of updates in it's history and from time to time we have been greeted with a message telling us to update our Wii's to use the Shop Channel. No Wii Homebrew user wants to, nor should they ever, update their Wii. Luckily there is a way around this. It is possible to update only the Shop Channel allowing you to once again access your Shop Channel account as well as buy whatever new games you see and want.

There are 2 ways to go about updating your Shop Channel, neither provides any benefit over the other aside from possible convenience so choose which ever method you wish to attempt below. Instructions are in the spoilers.

[SPOILER="Online Method (Multi-Mod Manager 13.4)"]
    1) Download Multi-Mod Manager 13.4 from here, extract it and copy or cut the MMM folder to your apps folder (as explained in the supplied read me file).

2) Load the Homebrew Channel and open Multi-Mod Manager 13.4

3) Go to "Load another IOS". Choose IOS-236 and press A. You'll be returned to MMM's main menu which should now display IOS 236 as the selected IOS as shown below.

IMG_2060.jpg

4) Go to "Manage Wii Channels"

5) Press right until it says Shop Channel then press down and press right to select your region, as shown below.

IMG_2057.jpg

6) Press A and wait....this might take a few minutes. If you do it right the end result will look like this:

IMG_2058.jpg

7) Press Home, then Home again and one last time to exit to the Wii menu. Load the Shop Channel and enjoy buying WiiWare games, Channels, and your favorite classic games again while still having your Softmod 100% intact.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Offline Method (All Wad Manager Programs)"]If the online method is not working for you or there is some other reason you are unable to do it via online connection, then you will only be able to update the Shop Channel offline by installing the appropriate wad file. Luckily this wad has been available for some time now, simply follow these directions to install your updated Shop Channel.

1) Download the Shop Channel v21 wad from here and extract it to the wad folder on your SD card.

2) Load your favorite Wad Manager program.

3) Go to "WAD Manager" and navigate to "Shopping-Channel-NUS-v21.wad". Press A to install it, be sure to read any & all prompts/warnings.

4) Once the program has finished installing the wad, you should see a message telling you if it succeeded or not. If it failed to install try loading IOS 236 first then start again from step 1.

5) Launch the Shop Channel from the Wii menu and enjoy buying your favorite classic games and WiiWare titles [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="IOS 62 Installation/Explanation"]IOS 62 is used solely by the Wii U Transfer Tool and nothing else. That being said if do not have a Wii U and you don't plan to get one you don't really need this. If you're undecided on whether or not you want a Wii U, well, it won't hurt to install this just in case

So as I said, this is not used by any other aspects of the Wii aside from the Wii U Transfer Tool. This section of the guide will teach you how to install this IOS but I will not delve into the process of actually using the aforementioned transfer tool. There are already directions on operating this channel out there and I currently have no desire to transfer my data to my Wii U (maybe in the future when the Wii U is hacked). Let's get started.

1) Download and extract this. Place the IOS62-64-v6430.wad in your SD cards wad folder.

2) Turn on your Wii and load the Homebrew Channel. From here launch your favorite WAD manager program (any one of them should do, for this guide I use Multi-Mod Manager).

3) Go to "Load another IOS". Choose IOS-236 and press A. You'll be returned to MMM's main menu which should now display IOS 236 as the selected IOS as shown below.

IMG_2060.jpg

4) Scroll down to "WAD Manager", press A, then look for IOS62-64-v6430.wad and press A on it.

5) You should see a screen confirming your action and the item you selected. Make sure IOS62-64-v6430.wad is the displayed item, if it is press A to install it.

That's it, IOS 62 is now installed. You can get the Wii U Transfer Tool from the Shop Channel and transfer your data to your Wii U. Please keep in mind that once transferred to the Wii U the data will be removed from the original system...IT IS A ONE WAY TRANSFER![/SPOILER]

If your new to the Wii and not sure what to get in the Shop Channel I have provided some recommendations (in no particular order) in the spoiler below. These are my favorite games I've noticed are available from the Shop Channel and you may enjoy them too.

[SPOILER="Recommendations"]Super Mario World (SNES)
    Final Fight (SNES)
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
    Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
    The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past (SNES)
    The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
    Sin and Punishment (Nintendo 64)
    Super Mario Bros (NES)
    Kirby Superstar (SNES)[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Troubleshooting"]
    If you're getting Error 002 when you enter the Shop Channel that means your IOS 56 is outdated (or missing somehow). Download and install the latest version from here. Enter the Shop Channel again and it should load now.[/SPOILER]

VWA
    Ok, guide is now ready to go

As always, if you need any help or have a suggestion feel free to comment.

When I load Multi-Mod Manager 13.4 my control disconnects. I wait a while and multi-mod does this strange matrix like thing. Then it goes to a black screen.

WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Dr. House @ Wiihacks
    Siids:

Just how many places are you gonna post about this anyway?

I am also trying the offline method. After loading the wad manger looked for Shopping-Channel-NUS-v21.wad and cant find it. I found shop channel v21 <dir>.

VWA
    You downloaded the attachment in that part of the guide right? I did upload the shop channel wad.

Edit: I just double checked, the wad is definitely in that download, so again, did you download the Shop Channel 21 file I linked?

I did download from that link and found it with the wad manager. I was using the shop update file from media fire before and that why couldnt find it. I am on step 5 now and launched the shop channel from the wii menu. There is a user agreement there. I thought that wasn't suppose to be there

VWA
    It's not supposed to be. It wasn't there the few times I've done this, but accept the user agreement anyway.

I did that. I initially didn't want to do that. I was reading the user agreement and it said that it does random unannounced updates. I did not want to deal with that. For some reason after accepting the user agreement it turned on the WiiConnect24. So i turned that off. Is there any way Nintendo updates can get through

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast