Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got a Wii to play on a monitor?

Anybody got a Wii to play on a monitor?

Did a bit of searching on this site but could not find much on this subject.

My other half loves watching soaps and practically hogs the telly all night while I surf away on my puter.

So to help keep both of us happy, is it possible to get a Wii to play on a TFT monitor and has anybody successfully done this?

I have a Samsung 226BW monitor with DVI and VGA connections

I also have a USB TV card, would this be of any use?

I've read a few forum threads but so far they are all just hear say and no replies from people who have actually succeeded with good results.

Cheers

I don't think it matters what kind of monitor you use as long as you can feed it a composite/svideo/component signal. You will have to positition the light bar in a decent spot. Of course you could use the candle trick and not use the light bar

Quote Originally Posted by at90s2313 View Post
    I don't think it matters what kind of monitor you use as long as you can feed it a composite/svideo/component signal.

May I ask if you have been successful in getting your Wii to work on a monitor?

Well since you have a tv card... I also have usb and a pci tv card. What I used to do is I connected it to a dvd/vcr player so i could plug in my console. I used a windvr to view it on.
    Last edited by arkkostik; 01-25-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the lemming View Post
    May I ask if you have been successful in getting your Wii to work on a monitor?
    Yep... several of them. You just have to be able to feed a signal to it. I have run it thru a TV card that had composite inputs, not as pretty as a TV but it worked. I also fed the svideo signal straight into the Compaq 18" LCD PC monitor since it has svideo inputs (dual input monitor w/ dual vga and DVI too). It would work with CRT type PC monitors too if you can feed the signal to it.

My LCD tv is also a monitor and it works with that. Remember a LCD PC monitor is not all that different than a new LCD type tv. The main difference is the "TV" has tuners built into it. I have also seen numerous youtube videos where the Wii is running off a PC monitor.

If you need assistance lemme know....

This is the Compaq monitor I used. I got it free for working on a PC.
    Code:
    http://www.ciao.com/Compaq_TFT_8030__15458853
    Last edited by at90s2313; 01-26-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Yep... several of them. You just have to be able to feed a signal to it. I have run it thru a TV card that had composite inputs, not as pretty as a TV but it worked.

If you need assistance lemme know....

This is the Compaq monitor I used. I got it free for working on a PC.
    Code:
    http://www.ciao.com/Compaq_TFT_8030__15458853

Hello

May I ask what you mean by 'not pretty' when you said that you managed to get a signal through your PCI TV card?

Was the image on the monitor poor quality as to render the exercise just academic and spoiled the game play?

I only have a USB TV card and a Graphics Card with two DVI slots.

However my Laptop does have an S-Video connection to it but only a 15 inch display.

Quote Originally Posted by the lemming View Post
    Hello

May I ask what you mean by 'not pretty' when you said that you managed to get a signal through your PCI TV card?

Was the image on the monitor poor quality as to render the exercise just academic and spoiled the game play?

I only have a USB TV card and a Graphics Card with two DVI slots.

However my Laptop does have an S-Video connection to it but only a 15 inch display.
    Well I can't vouche for any particular capture card except the one I have, V7700 Deluxe. It is really a video card with SVIDEO/RCA IN and OUT as well as vga out. The card is probably 8 years old so it is not up to snuff when it comes to PC gaming.
    Code:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/video-excursion-asus-v7700-deluxe,223-2.html
    The quality of the input is probably equal to a crt TV but certainly not as sweet as todays LCD tvs. On my card with Svideo the whites and light colors that are bright are a bit over saturated but not horrible. I am sure newer cards are better. I used the card for about 5 years feeding one of my satellite boxes to it so I could watch tv on that PC either full screen or in a window while working on the computer.

That laptop is more than likely svideo OUT not in..... Not an option for the Wii.
    Last edited by at90s2313; 01-27-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: forgot to code a link

You can alway get a cable converter, It should do the trick. Quick search on ebay and i came up with the below.

VGA to S-VIDEO / RCA CONVERTER CABLE ADAPTER FOR PC TV - eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Jovanah View Post
    You can alway get a cable converter, It should do the trick. Quick search on ebay and i came up with the below.

VGA to S-VIDEO / RCA CONVERTER CABLE ADAPTER FOR PC TV - eBay
    What you need is different. That cable is vga->svideo/rca not svideo/rca->vga

That just converts a PC to be able to connect to a VCR, DVD recorder or older TV set. You can't easily convert from Svideo to VGA (without a box or capture card) which is opposite of what that ebay cable does. You need something like this.

Code:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/GrandTec_Video_console_Video_to_VGA_Converter_SVideo_GVC_1000/q/loc/101/10402821.html
    Which is pointless if the poster already has a PC capture card that handles either rca or svideo. It just does the same thing as a capture card, but outside of the PC.

If you are really into building one yourself there are schematics out there to do so.

Code:
    http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=2183

What you need is different. That cable is vga->svideo/rca not svideo/rca->vga

That just converts a PC to be able to connect to a VCR, DVD recorder or older TV set. You can't easily convert from Svideo to VGA (without a box or capture card) which is opposite of what that ebay cable does.

Oh i thought it would still work because the connects look right. oo well
    what about a Component -> VGA would that do the trick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast