Added instructions and downloads for d2x for vWii.
The following information is to help people understand the differences in d2x cIOS that started with v10. For your own safety, DO NOT just randomly start installing different versions to your Wii U vWii! Remember, there is no brick protection available yet!
How to choose the d2x distribution fitting your needs
Starting from v10 there are 2 branches of the cios.
Branch Pros Cons d2x - Higher compatibility for nand emulation. - 1 usb port supported.
- Non plug&play usb devices, meaning that you MUST connect them before starting the game/usbloader.
d2x-alt - 2 usb ports supported.
- Fully plug&play usb devices, meaning that you can connect them when the game asks for them.
- Lower compatibility for nand emulation.
Each branch has 2 editions, one for real Wii and the other one for Virtual Wii inside a WiiU. So there are a total of 4 distribution files. In this thread, we will only be including the versions for the vWii.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Never install a vWii edition on a real Wii and vice versa.
Notes regarding HDD compatibility:
As has been experienced since the birth of d2x, different revisions can either help or cause problems. Generally speaking, newer versions are better. However, bugs can appear in any version, especially in beta versions. This is exactly why we do not always include the latest versions of d2x in our softmod guides here at WiiHacks.
Some of these bugs can include but are not limited to:
-Black screens when loading games
-HDD compatibility problems
Before changing cIOS for any of the above reasons, please confirm that you have followed the instructions in Pob's FAT32 Guide or NTFS Guide for formatting your HDD and loading your games.
Also please note that changing your cIOS revision does not guarantee your drive will work! As newer cIOS are released they will be posted here for your use. Now, on to the instructions!
Following these instructions will simply overwrite any existing revision of d2x that is currently on your vWii - no need to uninstall anything.
- Download d2x cIOS Installer v2.2 and extract directly to your SD card.
- Download one of the below files and extract directly to your sd/apps/d2x cIOS Installer v2.2 folder. Overwrite files if asked.
- Insert your SD card into your console
- Launch the Homebrew Channel
- Select d2x cIOS Installer and press A to load
- At the top of the screen you will see the word Welcome highlighted in green. Press any button to continue
- At the top of the screen you will see the words Working IOS highlighted in green. Press A to continue
- At the top of the screen you will see the words CIOS Settings highlighted in green.
- You will see a > next to Select cIOS. Press the right dpad to change this setting to the d2x revision you are going to install.
- Press down and Select cIOS base should say 56
- Press down again and Select cIOS slot should say 249
- Press A to install, cIOS 249 installs
- Press A to continue
- Now you are back at the CIOS SETTINGS screen again. This time press down to go to Select cIOS base, and press right to change the base to 57
- Press down and then right again to change the cIOS slot to 250
- Press A to install, cIOS 250 installs
- Back at the CIOS SETTINGS screen again. Press down to go to Select cIOS base, and press right to change the base to 58
- Press down and then right again to change the cIOS slot to 251
- Press A to install, cIOS 251 installs.
- Press B to exit.
- You have now successfully installed a different revision of d2x to your vWii! Hopefully this will solve some of your problems!
don't know which d2x files to download
Follow the guide for Wii (Softmod Any Wii guide) or Wii U (vWii modding guide) -- both guides are in my signature. Both guides will have the files we recommend you use for each individual system.
Quick question. Is d2x-alt just for two different USB storage devices, or two USB ports in general? For example, if I want to play one of the Skylander games with my daughter and load it from the HDD as opposed to disc, I need one USB port for the Skylander portal. On my current Wii, I can load the game from a USB loader and use the second USB port for the portal. Do I need d2x-alt to do that on the Wii U?
I cant with 100% certainty tell you Skylanders will work on the non-alt version since I dont have that game, but as the description details, with the alt version you can do all your plugging and unplugging in real time, where as with the non alt version everything needs to be plugged in prior to starting your loader.
Hello all, When playing backed up wii games via an external HDD on my Wii U, the graphics are not as clean as they are on the wii. Basically the lines are a little jagged...maybe 90% graphics quality..playable, but not that great looking... Is that normal? Does anyone else see the same thing? I have the discs but not with me at the moment, so I cannot check to see how they look when playing form the discs....Thanks!
Just an off the wall question on this… but will the ModPak.zip & IOS Update.zip work with this version of the Wii? I am just asking because it’s so close to the original Wii. I personally like my launchers as channels instead of having to go through Homebrew each time. I have to download the patch for my USB because all that I get is black screens when I try to open my disk images… but I don’t know ifthe older Wii mods work with this. Has anyone experimented with this? Just because I am curious.
Mod Pack should work with any Wii that can be modded. I've used it with my launch model Wii, and we've had a ton of people use it on the later model Wiis as well.
The only Wii it can't be used on is the Wii Mini, since it can't be modded in the first place.