Thread: Question about an experiment - running IOS under a VM

Question about an experiment - running IOS under a VM

hi ya'll, i had an interesting thought....

i noticed that for the WiiU nintendo has released source code for what seems to be the opensource portions of their menu and os....
    i was wondering if anyone has aver thought about taking the IOS / Menu system from either the wii or wiiU and get it up and running under a virtualmachine in virtualbox or something? it would be interesting if this was a possibility. it would also make experimental hacks on the Wii / WiiU easier since there would be no risk of bricking the hardware. you would just simply delet the virtualmachine and re-install the backup VM...
    has anyone ever tried this? did it work?
    - Betzelel

Quote Originally Posted by betzelel View Post
    hi ya'll, i had an interesting thought....

i noticed that for the WiiU nintendo has released source code for what seems to be the opensource portions of their menu and os....
    i was wondering if anyone has aver thought about taking the IOS / Menu system from either the wii or wiiU and get it up and running under a virtualmachine in virtualbox or something? it would be interesting if this was a possibility. it would also make experimental hacks on the Wii / WiiU easier since there would be no risk of bricking the hardware. you would just simply delet the virtualmachine and re-install the backup VM...
    has anyone ever tried this? did it work?
    - Betzelel
    I have no answer to your question, but can I get a link to said source code?
    SM 4.1 (v499) - BootMii/IOS v1.5 - HBC 1.1.2 - Priiloader 0.8b6 - d2x v9(r49) - WiiFlow 4.1.1
    [SPOILER=Must read threads]Thinking About Hacking a Wii? Read This First.
    Brick Prevention
    Softmod ANY Wii (updated 03/30/2013)
    How To Run & Post A System Check[/SPOILER][SPOILER=Helpful threads]USB Compatibility List
    FAT32 Formatting
    WiiFlow Guide
    Troublesome Games And Their Solution
    Error Index[/SPOILER]
    Quote Originally Posted by sven
    [16:26:34] i'm never sarcastic.
    [16:26:41] feel free to quote me on that.

here you go...

Wii U|Wii U本体に含まれるオープンソースソフトウェアについて|Nintendo

it looks like the code they have is upto revision 2.1.0

for virtualbox which in my oppinion is way better then VMware go here:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

- Betzelel

i have attached a txt file which i had to zip. it is a tree ouput of the files which are included in the WiiU opensource files.
    hope this helps :-)

- Betzelel

Please use the Edit function.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jax; 12-28-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Merged Posts...

It's mostly just Web related stuff. An XML parser, WebKit, etc.
    SM 4.1 (v499) - BootMii/IOS v1.5 - HBC 1.1.2 - Priiloader 0.8b6 - d2x v9(r49) - WiiFlow 4.1.1
    [SPOILER=Must read threads]Thinking About Hacking a Wii? Read This First.
    Brick Prevention
    Softmod ANY Wii (updated 03/30/2013)
    How To Run & Post A System Check[/SPOILER][SPOILER=Helpful threads]USB Compatibility List
    FAT32 Formatting
    WiiFlow Guide
    Troublesome Games And Their Solution
    Error Index[/SPOILER]
    Quote Originally Posted by sven
    [16:26:34] i'm never sarcastic.
    [16:26:41] feel free to quote me on that.

i was just reading a post from another site which talked about taking your back up of the NAND and using that in VMware.
    here is the link: Know what we need? A Wii "Virtual Machine" | GBAtemp.net -> The Free Independent Video Game Community: 3DS, NDS, Wii, GBA, PSP, Hacking, Dingoo, PS3, Xbox 360...
    they did not post anything conclusive. but it did see that there is stuff in the dolphin-emu that looks promising.
    also i stumbled upon this post as well: http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-custom-s...uests-too.html
    using wiiflow for running your NAND off a usb hdd. kind of interesting.

- betzelel

maybe if one could use the tools mentioned in the last web article to de-compile the NAND, and then create a virtualmachine and use something like grub as a boot loader for it... maybe that might be a start. one could use Ubuntu to boot the live cd in the VM and create a bootable dos partion in the VM, with fat32 so that way the files can read themselves.... just some ideas.
    - Betzelel