It's looking like my Wii's laser or disc drive are one the way out so I did some looking around and found Wii Drive Chip Database which tells me this about my Wii:
DVD drive and chipset features
Your drive most likely has the following chipset:
- There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).
- And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-DMS.
The following data is used to calculate and estimate the drive chip:
- LU3192XXXX GC2-D2C (v1) (1 entries)
- LU3190XXXX GC2-D2C (v1) (1 entries) Derv: 84735
- LU3188XXXX GC2-D2C (v1) (1 entries) Derv: 192627
- LU3187XXXX GC2-DMS (1 entries)
This leads me to my questions, as it appears I'll have to replace the drive myself cause no places nearby do it.
1) Is it safe to, and would it be simpler to replace just the laser or the whole drive?
2) It appears I should go with the GC2-D2C (v1) as its a 75% chance that's what I already have, but what if on that unlikely 25% chance I end up having a GC2-DMS? I guess what I'm trying to ask is will either of those 2 choices work in my Wii or do I need to open it up to be certain what I should get?
3) My Wii is one of the older ones that is GameCube compatible, should that bear any effect on which drive I need or do both the choices recommended play GC discs?
I'm trying to learn what I can about all this stuff and I'd rather salvage this Wii than have to buy another one if it's at all possible. The assistance is greatly appreciated and I think this will be a good learning experience
p.s. I think my laser got screwed up from using a burned backup I made of my Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 disc...Nowhere on the "Softmod ANY Wii" guide did I see "just cause you can use burned games, doesn't mean you should". I guess that's what I get for trying to preserve my favorite game lol.