Thread: Clean(?), updated, BannerBricked Wii - HELP!

Clean(?), updated, BannerBricked Wii - HELP!

I recently gave my mother-in-law my old Wii this past Christmas, and I believe it is banner bricked. Let me begin by saying it is a launch Wii that I waited outside in the freezing rain for, and it was softmodded for many years before I gave it to her. I never had any problems with it, and it always worked great for me. In December I attempted to remove all of the "hacks" that were on it. This included the HBC, Twilight Hack, .WADs, and other random things that I would never be able to remember (last time I used the Wii was years ago). So, unfortunately there is no way for me to recall every little modification I made to the Wii (at the time I didn't even fully understand everything I was modding in the first place).

When I removed all of these modifications, I didn't really look into it all the much. I believe I used BootMii to uninstall whatever it is that BootMii uninstalls, deleted the WADs/Channels/Twilight Hack/HBC, and did a system reformat (I know this was probably a bad idea). By the way, I always left my Wii at System Menu 3.2(U? I'm in North America). I did some research and decided it was probably okay for me to do all this, and then update the Wii to the newest system menu (4.3?). I gave the Wii away at Christmas, and it was used on Christmas Day and over the next few days my sister-in-law bought Just Dance 3 to play at home. She did a disc update and everything worked fine for months.

A few weeks ago she called and said the Wii started with an error. I brought it back home to check it out and I believe it is a banner brick. The Wii starts up to the Health and Safety screen, and when I press A it gives the "System Files are corrupt" message. Is there anything I can do to fix my old Wii? If it helps at all, I have one of the new black Wiis that were bundled with NSMB (I didn't realize it didn't have Gamecube ports. Infuriating).

DA KINE WiiHacker
    When the wii boots, hold + - at the health screen and press A. If the wii boots into the menu, run the hackmii installer via letterbomb and install bootmii as boot2 (chapter 1 of the softmod any wii guide, skip HBC). Then go back to the system menu and in the settings to a format of the system menu.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Warning: Piracy is NOT supported. Word your questions carefully.

I tried entering M. Mode earlier, and when I press A (or if I just hold + - until it changes screens) it always brings me to the "System Files are corrupt" screen. I'll try again in the morning and check for any more replies. I appreciate the help, but I'm afraid tonight I can't access the system menu at all.

DA KINE WiiHacker
    If you can't get into maintenance mode you will need to install a mod chip to fix it.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Warning: Piracy is NOT supported. Word your questions carefully.

Ah, that is disappointing. Do you have any recommendations on which to buy? I'm looking at mod-chip.com and they have DuoWii for $8. Is there anything I need to know about Wii model or System Menu compatibility?