Thread: Feel like a n00b - any advice on this - wbfs2fat- usb loader probs - syscheck inc'

Question Feel like a n00b - any advice on this - wbfs2fat- usb loader probs - syscheck inc'

Hey folks, as I posted a few weeks ago I used wbfs2fat to convert my wbfs partition - went flawlessly (so I thought).

Before you break out the stick on me, yes I followed my own sig advice and have been trying to get this to work for a week now, so I don't think it counts as spoon feeding.

Old WBFS was working on wiiflow v1.1 with no problems. Thought IOS and wiiflow update would be in order so I followed the Softmod ANY Wii guide and installed using Chapter 3 part 1 (all wads installed ok to IOS 249) and Chapter 3 final part (extracting everything to a fresh format SD sandisk 2gb).

Checked that the drive is primary and active, loaded the drive using backup manager and everything is there.

Wiiflow files updating the wiiflow guide. Wiiflow worked first time around, I moved all relevant wiiflow stuff to the USB fat32 partition. Wiiflow could not see anything but would load if the files were moved back to the SD card (sandisk 2gb as always). I then changed the theme to a custom one that I had created using the carbonik theme 2+ years ago....with everything running off SD card and...the wii hung.

Since then wiiflow will not recognise that there is even USB1 (which is the primary fat32 partion and active) but still picks up the other 3 partitions and tells me no games installed.

From Softmod ANY Wii guide Chapter 3 final part I then installed CFG Loader forwader and USB Loader GX forwader as well as WiiflowR25 Channel (thanks Baboo77) - NONE of these work.

Wiiflow will not work even from HBC : tried r304-222 and r304-249; CFG Loader forwader and USB Loader GX forwader WILL work if loaded from HBC but not via forwaders.

The drive is a seagate 1TB freeagent that is on the compatability list (plus it's worked for god knows how long already, I do realise from googling that I don't have IOS 58 which I will get now, via NUS if required

I would like to get wiiflow working on IOS 222 if possible, with the fat32 (I did do a backup before starting the wbfs2fat conversion so may be able to restore as a final resort, other wise its re-ripping everything from scratch!)

So....

1) Did I do something wrong in the update of the softmod?
    2) Why do loaders work from HBC but not forwarders? CFG Loader forwader and USB Loader GX forwader now workin. See UPDATE1.0 below
    3) Why in the heck was wiiflow so hot the first time round and now won't give me the time of day?(like THAT'S the first time something like this has happened...but the less said about that the better....LOL)
    4) Even when it did work, why would wiiflow refuse to recognise the HDD as a suitable location for data, covers etc?
    5) Why does wiiflow not even recognise the partition when it picked everything up on the virgin install? (wii backup manager still sees everything as being there and the drive is primary and active)

Sorry for the long post but that should stop any replies asking for more info (if anyone bothered to read this far) but I'm hoping putting all the info and symptoms and things I've already tried in one post may help someone else along the line.

Anything else I should look at? (It's been a LOOOONG time but I don't remember any stubs before...should I worry.....updating is fully blocked btw)

Nearly forgot.... Sys Check and thanks in advance and I really need to find time to get back into this and make a few, sometimes, helpful comments...if only I could get a job that let me to do this all day!!!

Spoiler

UPDATE1.0 : added IOS 58 via this post download

CFG Loader forwader and USB Loader GX forwader now working!! but no joy with wiiflow sob, sob (that's me crying, not cussing...honest guv!)

But I'd STILL love wiiflow (running on fat32 IOS222 IF possible) . . . . . I have read 'somewhere' that doing an on-the fly-conversion to NTFS would fix this but..... Unless I read it confirmed here, I'd take that with a kilo of salt.

UPDATE2.0 : Should I have done any updates using base 222/223...just an idea...and a few more...

Can I get everything 'cosher' using the nand backup done using the original hacks (on a seperate skandisk 2.0 gb)?

Wiiflow will now not even recognise a freshly formatted fat32 that has had one game loaded via wii backupmanager from the original ISO (yeah ISO not IOS before you slap me). WILL KEEP PLUGGING AWAY.

UPDATE3.0 : Just deleted and replaced r304-249 files on SD and wiiflow is picking everything up from the fat32...didn't even have to tell it where to look..(I remember from v1.1 that you had wiiflow_249 and wiiflow_222 extracted from the zip and then deleted _*** to leave wiiflow as the foldername....have I been that stupid?..what the heck is going on... have I lost it completely?) At least the stupid mistakes info is in one place. Off to see what happens if I move those files to the HDD....

Anyone help me to get this working on IOS222??? (slowly coming back but still feeling dumb)

UPDATE4.0 : Just realised.....and downloaded Baboo77 wads for R25 channels for 222 and 249..
    I suppose if I use the correct files for 222 this might work....keep you all posted when I get round to it (hopefully tomorrow) repeat - (slowly coming back but still feeling dumb) - As long as it ain't bricked, it's a process of logical elimination, problems only arise when I'm the BRICK!
    Last edited by bigjat69; 05-02-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: UPDATE4.0
    Thank me or Spank me but leave some feedback

P.S. if you mean thanks hit the 'thanks' button

If you really mean thanks donate

Click here> USE IT - How2 get the best 'Search' Results<No Excuses!!

Please do NOT spoonfeed, Teach 'em how to search & survive

Failure is the path of least persistence

4.1E:HBC:Bootmii(IOS):Priiloader v0.3(r32):cIOSrev14:IOS60-patched:WAD Mngr 1.4:Wiiflow 1.1 Full:Wii Shop and IOS61 Installer update:iPlayer:SEAGATE 1TB FreeAgent USB HDD

Well a great post, With all the info, an Interesting read. At least you understand where your trying to get to. Just a thought, Could it simply be a config file error.Or maybe you need 222 with a specific base [38][56][57] . I am not a big fan of Wiiflow, as there seem to be a lot of people fighting with their setups. I use CFG & GX. But I do know config files need to be correct, ( past experience ) like yourself, GGGRRR why wont it see my Drive, Covers, Theme ETC:
    Keep posting as I'm intrigued to find the outcome. I'm also PAL E Running HB on IOS58, I'm at work atm I will post a syscheck tomorrow for you to see what I have on my console.
    [SPOILER]
    ...runs on IOS58 (rev 6175).

Region: PAL
    System Menu 4.1E (v450)
    Priiloader installed
    Drive date: 2007.02.13
    Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS58
    Hollywood v0x11
    Console ID: 48889685
    Boot2 v3
    Found 167 titles.
    Found 48 IOS on this console. 3 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS9 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
    IOS11 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS12 (rev 11): No Patches
    IOS13 (rev 15): No Patches
    IOS14 (rev 262): No Patches
    IOS15 (rev 523): No Patches
    IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug ES Identify Flash Access NAND Access
    IOS17 (rev 517): No Patches
    IOS20 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS21 (rev 522): No Patches
    IOS22 (rev 777): No Patches
    IOS28 (rev 1292): No Patches
    IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS31 (rev 3088): No Patches
    IOS33 (rev 2832): No Patches
    IOS34 (rev 3087): No Patches
    IOS35 (rev 1040): Trucha Bug ES Identify Flash Access NAND Access
    IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
    IOS37 (rev 3869): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS38 (rev 3867): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
    IOS46 (rev 3350): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
    IOS53 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug
    IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS56 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS57 (rev 5918): No Patches
    IOS58 (rev 6175): USB 2.0
    IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS61 (rev 5661): No Patches
    IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
    IOS202[60] (rev 65535 Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS222[38] (rev 65535 Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS223[38] (rev 65535 Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS224[57] (rev 65535 Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS236 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
    IOS245[37] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS246[38] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
    IOS247[53] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS248[55] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS249[56] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS250[57] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS251[58] (rev 21007 Info: d2x-v7alpha5): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
    BC v5
    MIOS v65535

Report generated on 2012/05/07.
    http://syscheck.softwii.de/FOYGN1dC

[/SPOILER]
    Last edited by Grandpa1959; 05-07-2012 at 09:30 AM.

I think that's where the brain maxed out, which IOSs merged with which bases etc...... the guides have got easier but my understanding has seemed to slip as to why we do certain things for certain reasons....will keep you (all) posted as per the developments (p.s. there where no config files present the first time wiiflow picked everything up, I think there is a link to one of my posts from many moons ago in the troubleshooting section of wiiflow guide....hence why I had to check everything bfore asking the relevant questions). Out of the loop for some time, the names have changed but at least the spirit of this forum is still there! We WILL get to the bottom of this. Thanks for saying it was a great post...it may be if we can help those having the same problems.

Very nice to 'meet' you sir! (p.s. you may not be a fan, but, when wiiflow works, it works like a boss!! Hope you can try it out once we get it to play ball....(balding but not too old for a meme...lol))
    Last edited by bigjat69; 05-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.

4.1E:HBC:Bootmii(IOS):Priiloader v0.3(r32):cIOSrev14:IOS60-patched:WAD Mngr 1.4:Wiiflow 1.1 Full:Wii Shop and IOS61 Installer update:iPlayer:SEAGATE 1TB FreeAgent USB HDD

Angry Finally got it sorted -- somewhere in here -- solutio

Well, this was truly a nightmare. Wonder if anyone will even bother to read the things I checked in the spoiler? May not be 'light' reading, but maybe some newer users could see this as an example of what you have to go through in order to sort problems out for yourself when you can't find a solution by googling or the the search function on the site.

SORRY GUYS...LAPTOP WENT A BIT KAPPUTT!!

[spoiler=This was hard work and repitition involved - boring but might give you an idea of how to fix things]
    extract [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root] to usb root (not inside the wbfs folder)

safely remove and attach SD card and HDD to wii

Load homebrew channel and Run wad manager to try and install forwader from the usb hdd...opps ret-1 error mounting USB device and ret-2 error mounting USB 2.0 device (also get errors trying to mount both geko ports but that is no suprise).

Shut down wii

ok... copied carbonik-Nforwarder58-WFBJ from [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root]/wad into wad folder on SD card...now able to install the forwarder channel(base=249;NAND emulation=Disable)

Shut down wii and restart. Load forwader channel. Channel loads!! BUT no games found....options are 'Install game' or 'Select Partition'. Click on 'Select Partition' and "FAT1" and then 'Back'...still no games found! Lets try again, click on 'Select Partition' and "Fat2" and then 'Back'.........still no games found!

OK, power down Wii and remove HDD and SD card and hook up to PC.

Checking files, There is new folder inside SD>apps called wiiflow, and there is a file in SD>apps>wiiflow called wiiflow.ini with todays date and time as last modified......Hmmm something has happened here!

Lets see whats on the HDD by looking at last modified fields....

HDD>wad folder....nothing new

HDD>apps>wiiflow folder....nothing new

HDD>wiiflow folder....nothing new

OK, lets open this new wiiflow.ini from SD>apps>wiiflow in WORDPAD...

important bits (line 23 onwards) are

dir_bca=sd:/wiiflow/codes
    dir_box_covers=sd:/wiiflow/boxcovers
    dir_cache=sd:/wiiflow/cache
    dir_cheat=sd:/wiiflow/codes
    dir_fanart=sd:/wiiflow/fanart
    dir_flat_covers=sd:/wiiflow/covers
    dir_music=sd:/wiiflow/music
    dir_themes=sd:/wiiflow/themes
    dir_trailers=sd:/wiiflow/trailers
    dir_txtcheat=sd:/wiiflow/txtcodes
    dir_wip=sd:/wiiflow/codes

It seems that although all documentation says that wiiflow will look at the USB if nothing is detected on SD (fom installation section B on the wiiflow settings guide) but this is not happening on base 249 (already knew this from googleisation efforts for nearly a week, and that's why additional post is HERE (that did make me feel stupid but, my stupidity was redeemed to some extent), for some reason this is NOT occuring with wiiflow on base 249 if FAT32 partion is used, it is looking at the SD for ALL information.

Lets close the wiiflow.ini and back it up to another location....(on my desktop for ease).

Now from the wiiflow tutorial, if we want it to add personalised music we need to install it to a location on the SD or the HDD and have paths read "SD:\wiiflow\music or USB:\wiiflow\music", well my problem is that wiiflow is looking at the SD for everything, games covers sounds etc and saying "Sorry, nothing here mate!" well let's edit that wiiflow.ini(inside SD:/apps/wiiflow) and replace references to sd: with USB: using WORDPAD - save and again hook everything up to the wii.

(Load forwader channel. Channel loads!! Oops exeption (DSI) and stack dump and code dump....What The Hey...never had this before! ...power off from power button and try again....and get same result....... what the HECK has happened NOW?!)

OK, power off the Wii and attach HDD and SD card to pc (yeah, again!)
    Looking at the HDD there are no new files (confirmed with a search using modified date as today's date)
    let's edit that wiiflow.ini(inside SD:/apps/wiiflow) and MAKE SURE REFERENCES TO USB ARE IN LOWERCASE i.e. dir_bca=usb:/wiiflow/codes and NOT dir_bca=USB:/wiiflow/codes!!!

Safely remove and hook everything up to the wii.

Load forwader Channel...Oops exeption (DSI) and stack dump and code dump....AGAIN!!

OK, lets take [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root]/wiiflow and copy this to to the root of the sd card, safely remove everything and hook up sd cad and HDD to the Wii, yet again....

Oops exeption (DSI) and stack dump and code dump....Re-install the channel forwarder via WAD Mangager.... try the channel again and Oops exeption (DSI) and stack dump and code dump....

Out of ideas, I want clean slate to figure out where the problem is.

OK, deleted the following: (using SHIFT+DEl so nothing goes to the trash can/recycle bin)

sd:/apps/wiiflow
    sd:/wad/carbonik-Nforwarder58-WFBJ.wad
    sd:/wiiflow (whole folder)

deleted the following: (using SHIFT+DEl so nothing goes to the trash can/recycle bin)
    HDD:/apps/wiiflow
    HDD:/carbonik-Nforwarder58-WFBJ.wad
    HDD:/wiiflow (whole folder)

extract [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root] to the sd card.

Merge folders or replace files if asked. In theory the only wiiflow files are now on the sd card.

Safely remove and hook everything up to the wii and run the forwarder channel....

Load forwader channel. Channel loads!! BUT no games found....options are 'Install game' or 'Select Partition'. Click on 'Select Partition' and "FAT1" and then 'Back'...still no games found.

Click on 'Select Partition' and "FAT2" and then 'Back'...still no games found.

Shutdown the Wii and remove HDD and SD card,

Connect HDD to PC and load the disk with wi backup manager...all games are seen.

copy contents of [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root] onto the HDD fat32 partition

Connect everything back to the wii

Load forwader channel. Channel loads!! BUT no games found....options are 'Install game' or 'Select Partition'. Click on 'Select Partition' and "FAT1" and then 'Back'...still no games found.

Click on 'Select Partition' and "FAT2" and then 'Back'...still no games found.

Delete forwader channel and reinstall using wad manager. (this time without HDD connected)

Start channel, asked to plug in a HDD, HDD plugged in, spins up, screen still frozen, keep reset pressed until system reloads, start channel....still no games found.

Delete all folders (apps/wad/wiiflow from SD card) extract [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root] to SD card from rar file using winrar

Start channel, no games found.

Format SD card, extract [2742-249 WiiFlow + Forwarder_ Extract to USB or SD Root] to SD card from rar file using winrar.

this time right-click the sd card in my computer and eject

Connect to wii and try again.

same result ...no games found

6******extracting app pack APP-PACK-V2.01.zip to sd card directly using winrar, asked to overwrite wiiflow files!....(6****** as in apps\wiiflow\boot.dol) hmmmm...allowing the overwrite and going to delete wiiflow.ini from sd>apps>wiiflow

Try again, make sure to eject sd card.

Boot up .....EVERYTHING FREAKING WORKS!!

Straight into choose a game!!!!!

Now still not sure where everything is so using wiiflow to download all missing covers!!! HAPPY DAYS!!!

All 71 files downloaded and my covers are in place!!

One last thing.....(Cloumbo style...LOL) I don't know where the covers are being downloaded and where the system is looking for them. Ideally I want everything coming from the HDD so lets power down the wii and hook up the sd card and HDD to the PC to find out.....

....once all is hooked up.....LETS NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN........backup the contents of the SD card to a suitable location... on my desktop (where I can find the blooming thing if needed!!!)

OK, backup done, lets have a poke around inside sd>wiiflow;

Number of folders looks bigger at first sight but, sorting by date modified, no folders modified since 2010!

BUT!!! when where files modified?

Looking inside SD>wiiflow>covers.. oh blimey...todays date on everything! ... so that's where the covers downloaded to!

Looking inside SD>wiiflow>box covers...oh blimey again...todays date on everything! ...so that's where the boxcovers downloaded to!

Looking inside SD>apps>wiiflow; there is a wiiflow.ini newly created (sure I just deleted them all).

Section of interest =

data_on_usb=no
    dir_altdol=sd:/wiiflow/codes/alt_dols
    dir_bca=sd:/wiiflow/codes/bca
    dir_cheat=sd:/wiiflow/codes/gct
    dir_languages=sd:/wiiflow/languages
    dir_screenshot=sd:/wiiflow/screenshots
    dir_settings=sd:/wiiflow/settings
    dir_txtcheat=sd:/wiiflow/codes
    dir_wdm=sd:/wiiflow/codes/wdm
    dir_wip=sd:/wiiflow/codes/wip
    dump_gamelist=no
    exit_to=0
    favorites_on_startup=no
    hidechannelsbutton=no
    keep_png=yes
    language=0
    last_cf_mode=1
    max_fsaa=3
    music_fade_rate=8
    parent_code=
    partition=FAT1

Let's CUT and PASTE sd/wiiflow folder onto the HDD..

BUT wiiflow.ini on the SD card is telling us where to look! Lets open SD>apps>wiiflow.ini in wordpad and edit the paths.....Lets tell it that the data is on the USB and what paths to follow!

wiiflow.inni on the sd card(SD>apps>wiiflow.ini) opened in word pad and edited from:

data_on_usb=no
    dir_altdol=sd:/wiiflow/codes/alt_dols
    dir_bca=sd:/wiiflow/codes/bca
    dir_cheat=sd:/wiiflow/codes/gct
    dir_languages=sd:/wiiflow/languages
    dir_screenshot=sd:/wiiflow/screenshots
    dir_settings=sd:/wiiflow/settings
    dir_txtcheat=sd:/wiiflow/codes
    dir_wdm=sd:/wiiflow/codes/wdm
    dir_wip=sd:/wiiflow/codes/wip

TO:

data_on_usb=yes
    dir_altdol=usb:/wiiflow/codes/alt_dols
    dir_bca=usb:/wiiflow/codes/bca
    dir_box_covers=usb:/wiiflow/boxcovers
    dir_cache=usb:/wiiflow/cache
    dir_cheat=usb:/wiiflow/codes/gct
    dir_fanart=usb:/wiiflow/fanart
    dir_flat_covers=usb:/wiiflow/covers
    dir_languages=usb:/wiiflow/languages
    dir_music=usb:/wiiflow/music
    dir_screenshot=usb:/wiiflow/screenshots
    dir_settings=usb:/wiiflow/settings
    dir_themes=usb:/wiiflow/themes
    dir_trailers=usb:/wiiflow/trailers
    dir_txtcheat=usb:/wiiflow/codes
    dir_wdm=usb:/wiiflow/codes/wdm
    dir_wip=usb:/wiiflow/codes/wip

Safely remove everything and run on wii.......

all games load in wii flow with covers!!! SORTED! Or so I think.......

SOME GAMES DO NOT PLAY WHEN LOADED, EITHER NEEDS CHANGING IN SETTINGS FOR THAT GAME (WHICH ios TO LOAD) OR PLAY WITH OTHER SETTINGS IN WIIFLOW

I need to check if I am allowed to upload direct links, or the original authors want changes made.....

I did this with the help of searching online, so there is NO reason why noone else can, if the original authors and third parties allow it, I will write up a tutorial to make things easy.

[/spoiler]

Sunmitting fix to Forum>WiiHacks Tutorials>Submit Articles / Tutorials> wbfs2fat, wiiflow, fat32 fix
    Last edited by bigjat69; 05-11-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Finish the blooming post!

Fix added to fat32 guide

Don't know if/when post would be approved for tutorial section (arguably a fix rather than a tutorial guide)

So have added post to fat32 guide (unfortunately wiiflow installation guide thread is closed).