Thread: Black screen - but probably because of faulty PCB connection

Black screen - but probably because of faulty PCB connection

I have an old Wii, that is both hard- and softmodded (did the hardmod myself way back...). After not having used the Wii in almost a year (but was working fine when I shut it down after a regular gaming session - haven't messed it up in any way), I get a black screen. But the menu sounds are playing. Fiddling a little with the video connector at the back of the Wii and managed to get video on screen, but as soon as I let go of the cable the black screen returned. Tried fiddling a bit more with the cable and again I could get a clear picture that went to black as soon as I let go of the cable (which is a component cable). Then I tried my composite cable. Exact same thing happened, which leads me to believe that it's not the cables, but the video connector on the Wii that has a loose connection to the motherboard somehow. Does this seem reasonable or could it be something else?
    If it's a bad solder joing, I figure I can try to fix it myself - does anyone know how to disassemble the Wii when I need to reach the bottom side of the main PCB and not just the upper side and the DVD drive that is enough for hardmodding?
    Thanks.

WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff

Junior Moderator
    On your harddrive (file name: Bliepo.crazy)
    I am in no way an expert, but definitely sounds like a faulty connection to me.
    Awesome sig picture does not work
    Brick Prevention- Things you should never do | Ignoring advice and bricking | Be a jedi, donate
    Guide: Softmod ANY wii | How to post a system check | Loading and Playing Wii Backup Games from USB HDD (softmod only)
    System Menu X (IOS150, E) | HBC 1.08 (IOS58) | bootmii/boot2v4 | priiloader 0.7 | cIOSX rev21d2x_v6 (main base IOS 57) | cIOS 223 (IOS 37 + 38 merged) | USB Loader GX 2.2

WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    I have seen a guide on how to disassemble a Wii on here before. Not sure where, but Google should get you there.
    I would try to borrow someone's cable to confirm your theory prior to taking it apart. You are probably correct though.

Sent with WiiHacks app, that should explain any typos 8-p

DA KINE WiiHacker
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Warning: Piracy is NOT supported. Word your questions carefully.

Thanks, guys. I will give it a teardown at some point and see if I can fix it.