Thread: Help with Wii Someone Else Modded

Thanks

Question Help with Wii Someone Else Modded

So as you can tell by my post count, I'm very new to this, but I have been reading quite a few posts here, particularly the general FAQ's and such for the new members. My situation is that I'm experiencing issues with USB Loader GX v2.3 not recognizing my HDD. Trying to troubleshoot is a pain because I didn't put in the work and thought process that went behind installing everything the first time, so I'm trying to figure out everything at once. Long story short - should I:

a) pursue trying to fix this issue, or
    b) restart and try to learn everything as I go instead of being dropped in the deep end?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    What hard drive do you have? How is it formatted?

Easy questions to start troubleshooting.

Thanks
    I have a 250 GB WD My Passport (should be fine) formatted completely to FAT, although I would like to partition it before it's all said and done with. I've been reading guide after guide, but I can't figure out how to format my HDD to WBFS so that I can add ISO's using WBFS for Mac OS X.
    Last edited by Hotsauce; 03-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    I have a 250 GB WD My Passport (should be fine) formatted completely to FAT, although I would like to partition it before it's all said and done with. I've been reading guide after guide, but I can't figure out how to format my HDD to WBFS so that I can add ISO's using WBFS for Mac OS X.
    After work when im sitting infront of my imac, I'll let you know what to do.

Thanks
    Ahh you're the best! Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 753 Posts
    There is no good reason to make a WBFS partition @ this point. It's outdated and unnecessary. Even with a mac, you can still transfer games over. Take a look at the Fat32 guide.

-Blu

Softmod ANY Wii
    | USB-FAT32 | Error Index | Chat!
    An Introduction To Wii Hacking - MUST READ for all new Wii Hackers
    If I have been of help to you, please click the "Thanks" icon to the left.

Thanks
    My review of mac apps using Mac OS 10.7
    Note: There are a few java based apps. I do not support Java and do not have it installed.
    WBFS for MacOS X
    Version: 1.2
    Link: http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-custom-s...tml#post206677
    What it does do: Lists games on a wbfs formatted volume. You can add and extract iso's from the volume.
    What it does not do: It says you can "format connected drive". However, you can only format a volume that is already formatted as wbfs. You can not format a different type of volume to wbfs. It's basically pointless unless you want to remove all your games from your wbfs drive. Cover Art viewer does not work. It also does not handle wbfs files. This app has a simple and sweet gui, but is basically useless.

Witgui
    Version: 1.1.2(4)
    Link: Witgui | the Wii conversion tool for Mac
    What it does do: You can view and batch rename iso and wbfs files. You can also convert a file from iso to wbfs, or from wbfs to iso- both with the option of splitting large files. Great and simple gui.
    What it does not do: Show details pane only showed artwork for only one game out of my large library of games. It does not allow you to split or join files without converting it to another type of format (talked to dev, feature might be added). Any volumes not supported natively by the mac are not supported. This means that it can not read wbfs volumes.

Wii Backup Fusion
    Version: 1.1
    Link: Wii Backup Fusion / Home / Wii Backup Fusion
    What it does do: Displays information about the files on your computer and your wbfs volume. Allows you to transfer games to your wbfs formatted drive (sync is a better term because it will skip a game if its already on the volume). It will automatically convert a game to the appropriate format onto your wbfs drive (iso or wbfs). Displays a nice iTunes style progress bar for amount of data used on wbfs drive.
    What it does not do: It does not format drives. It also does not support transferring game files to any other type of volume other than wbfs. Gui is kind of odd. It crashes sometimes if you mess with the gui while its transferring games, so just click it and leave it.

WIT: Wiimms ISO Tools
    Link: WIT: Wiimms ISO Tools
    What it is: A bunch of command line tools for the mac pertaining to the wii. Lots of other gui apps rely on these tools.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

What I did
    I used vmware fusion to install WBFS Manager on a winblows xp virtual install to format my drive to wbfs format. I then used Witgui to batch rename my game backups on my computers hard drive. I then use Wii Backup Fusion to send them to my wbfs volume. If your good with the terminal, look try using Wiimms ISO Tools. It will probably be the quicker solution to getting a drive formatted to wbfs format.

WBFS Volume? Seriously?
    I used it because I don't have to worry about splitting large files. Fat32 has a 4 GB file size limit. Also, the actual file size was smaller on a wbfs formatted drive than on my mac's hsf+. It seems like a good file format, just needs more support. You can use a fat32 volume. You just have to convert and split all of your files into wbfs files and put them in /wbfs directory - to my understanding. I have not tried this. Witgui would be a good app for that, but files in wbfs file format would have to be converted to iso and then to split wbfs. This was too much effort than I wanted to do. WBFS worked for me. Its just one solution to the same issue.

I hope I helped. Get your drive situated and let me know how you make out!
    Last edited by tuscanidream; 03-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BluPhant View Post
    There is no good reason to make a WBFS partition @ this point. It's outdated and unnecessary. Even with a mac, you can still transfer games over. Take a look at the Fat32 guide.

-Blu
    That guide is little to no help to a mac user. Sorry man. Wii Backup Fusion doesn't even support transferring files to fat32.