I am getting ready to go out today and pick up a Wii specifically for the purposes of soft-modding. I am wanting to use emulators, homebrew, and all that other good stuff, and I was wanting some advice.
1) any suggestions on which model to pickup? should I get a new one (the black model with the bundle stuff inside), or a used one (older model I assume)?
2) What equipment will I need for soft-modding - I know there is some mentioned in the different tutorials on the forums, but I was wondering if there is one that just lists equipment that you might need (things like SD card, USB drive etc)
3) This question relates to the one before it. I really have no interest in playing backup disks on my Wii. If I do want to play a backup Wii game, I have no problem utilizing a USB drive. Any suggestions as to which kind to get and to which size?
Thank you all in advance.
1. The newer post-2009 wiis cannot play disc backups while the older ones can. Also, the older ones have boot2 which means that if you ever get bricked after softmodding, you have more protection. I would recommend getting an older wii which has boot2 as even though the ability to play disc backups doesn't matter, the extra brick protection is worth it. I have a boot2 wii.
2. You will definitely need an SD card (don't get an SDHC card as they have lower compatibility - SD are best) to softmod your wii. After that, if you want to USB load (the better option) then you will need a USB device, preferably a HDD. As for the size, why not buy a 1 TB HDD as they are cheap nowadays. If you use the FAT32 method (which I recommend) you can use your HDD for other files too, so it does not have to be dedicated to the wii.
3. Pretty much what I said above, a 1 TB is great as you get the best value. Each wii game is 4 GB or less (with the exception of SSBB @ 7GB) thanks to compression. Also, before buying, make sure it is compatible by checking our list of compatible HDDs (search it, you should find it).
Sorry, it is much harder to post links when I'm using the iPhone app
Let me know if you need more info
buy a 1TB for storing your Wii games ?
how much money you can affort to buy retail game discs and how many hours you can affort to copy it into hard disk ?
btw, wouldn't you encourage people to be pirate ?
Some of us have kids that scratch things.... so backups via USB is a great idea... very well said isoguyOriginally Posted by billyhome
Sent from my X2 using WiiHacks
OK I went and picked up all the equipment that I needed for the mod job, and it would appear that I am afflicted with 2 Wii motion plus controllers that are incompatable with the homebrew install software, and presumably with the other homebrew stuff as well.
I seem to remember hearing the clerk tell me that the new Wii's do not work with non Wii motion plus controllers. Is this true?
OK, so suggestions on where I go from here?
I was reading the tutorials on the site and one part said that I could get an older Wii remote and get the Wii motion plus addon for it and that would work.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, and thank you in advance for the answers to this one.
As far as I know, some of the wii remotes with built in motionplus work while some do not. As for the original controllers, they will definitely work.
I am pretty sure that the latest remotes (i.e. What you got) will not work when softmodding. I am not an expert on this so I guess you should wait for a more experienced person to post here
@Billy In my 2nd answer I stated that the HDD can be used for other purposes. So you do not have 1 TB just for wii games, you have 1 TB of storage that you can put some wii games on while using it for other stuff too.
@emuhack Thanks for the moral support mate!