Hello from Greece! Best Wii site ever and the guides are awesome. Ive just softmod my wii (bought it yesterday) using this guide and after a lot of reading I have a few questions to ask. I have a new wii model (4.3E cant play backup discs and bootmi as IOS).
1) I read the softmod faq and the types of bricking a wii but Im not sure how someone comes with a bricked Wii if he doesnt play with WAD manager. And I want to know that before something happens unintentionally. I mean how(why) can(should) anyone uninstall the system menu? Im thinking if I remove some IOSes from WAD manager. So is there a chance for bricking my Wii if I won't use WAD manager? ( I mean except from official updating, is there a chance for example if playing a backup game from my usb,will it mess with my IOS or wads?Or some other case? I dont mean installing themes and intentionally play with WAD manager)
2) I follow this guide except the installing new shop channel but now after softmoding, the channel ask to update. Is it safe to download in my SD the channel updade from this guide and follow this step and done, or I will also have to repeat the following steps (I ask that in case the channel update mess with the priiloader etc and left me unprotected)
3) If my system memory get full from game saves should I delete the saves one by one or pressing delete system memory doesnt hurt? (I dont know if delete system memory is the same as formating the Wii. If it is the same I guess from the tutorials is not ok to do that.)
4)Is the Wiibrew apps safe ? I mean if I download from homebrew channel some emulators which will install wads should I have a problem?
5)If I want to use my Wii without an SD card will that be a problem if I move all the apps in my Fat32 hd along with my backup games in \WBFS folder?Will this work?
6)If I dont want a channel in my Wii (example news Channel , Weather, Wiimc ) is there a safe way to remove it?
7) Is there any other way except loading at start the priiloader to know that it is there and actually working? (I dont want to do that every time I install an emulator or an app from Wiibrew, thats why Im asking.)
8) I setup my wifi. From now on is the Wii alwyas connected online or it will always ask me before it connects?
So far you ll notice that I might be overprotected but I havent found answers to these questions. Maybe because they are very simple and obvious.
Thanks for any replies and sorry for my poor English! Καλημέρα!
Last edited by popos; 05-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
1. Read this.
2. Why didn't you follow the guide? A new, um version of this specific update is in the works right now. You can do the portion you um, skipped before.
3. Delete saves individually.
4. Should be OK so long as you observe meant for your region (a lot is immaterial, but some may have PAL or NTSC --- too broad a question to answer).
5. We have a FAT32 guide on this, so long as you set up the pathing correctly (that it looks at USB instead of SD).
6. You can delete channels through the Wii menu options.
7. If you power on the Wii and immediately hold the reset button and Priiloader menu comes up --- you're fine. Priiloader doesn't "disappear" unless you do something silly like change your System Menu (which would essentially be you not following the guide)
8. The connection is always connected if powered on (assuming you've fully configured it).
Thank you for your reply.
[QUOTE=nightstah;700671]7. If you power on the Wii and immediately hold the reset button and Priiloader menu comes up --- you're fine. Priiloader doesn't "disappear" unless you do something silly like change your System Menu (which would essentially be you not following the guide)
Yes I know that. I only asked in the case I dont want to check every time with Reset at boot, and if there was another way inside Homebrew.
A pause in speech.What "um" means? (Sorry for my English)
It is perfectly safe to delete those channels. Some of them cannot be deleted from the Wii Menu Options. You will have to use an app called ANY Title Deleter. Be very careful using this app! You can brick your Wii if you delete the wrong thing!Ok. I thought it was not safe after softmod, and there was another way. Ok then.
You dont have to check every time. Once you install it, it is always there and running in the background (Unless like nightstah said, you install a different system menu. That will remove priiloader). There is no way to check it within the Homebrew Channel. The only way to access it is by holding in the reset button at boot.Yes I know that. I only asked in the case I dont want to check every time with Reset at boot, and if there was another way inside Homebrew.
As long as you enabled the "block system updates" hack in priiloader you will not have to worry about your system updating. With this hack enabled, even if you tried to update it would fail.So, is there a chance to download automaticaly a system update without prompt me or something? Or I do not have to worry about this?
Thanks once again. You guys rock!
I had a Japanese Wii (purchased when we lived in Japan) that has letterbomb. I go to the "letter", hit it, and the out of region disk in the Wii will run.
I just put letterbomb on a US wii, I did exactly the same thing except use a different MAC and 4.3U instead of 4.3J. Homebrew and Hackmii were installed "successfully" but when I go to the "letter" and hit it instead of running the disk in the Wii it says "valid elf file" and opens the Hackmii installer. I am using the same SD card, formatted the same way, and reformatted the Wii as well. Am I missing something?
Awesome sig picture does not work
Brick Prevention- Things you should never do | Ignoring advice and bricking | Be a jedi, donate
Guide: Softmod ANY wii | How to post a system check | Loading and Playing Wii Backup Games from USB HDD (softmod only)
System Menu X (IOS150, E) | HBC 1.08 (IOS58) | bootmii/boot2v4 | priiloader 0.7 | cIOSX rev21d2x_v6 (main base IOS 57) | cIOS 223 (IOS 37 + 38 merged) | USB Loader GX 2.2
Thank You, I will try that :-)