Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: soft mod mad

  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjizzle View Post
    Could you just not time the swap correctly or what? The game I used wasnt even on the list. I just went thru what I had looking for an elf file I could replace. The key is to find a game where during boot (and display of the ps2 logo) the laser quickly goes to the outside edge of the disc and then back in. When it barely moves it makes it very difficult to time. I destroyed a few old games before I figured that one out lol
    Its possible.... Your solutions are new to me.

    The other guides I was following were telling me to wait till certain parts of the game, Like for Agent Under Fire, Wait till the 2nd level, (Car chase level) Then, at the load screen, switch the disc then load the file. Metal Gear Solid 3, it was: Wait until you can select Camo, and go into the other Camo mode then as its loading, switch. And need for speed underground 2, well thats easy. From the main Menu and chose to connect to the network, then switch befor it loads. I have't tried switching at the PS2 logo.

    The problem I seem to have is, The Official PS2 discs have a small area around the center ring where the PS2 security info is stored. Its almost like a partitioned harddrive. Since NO blank CD.DVD/Bu-ray has that little area, its impossible to copy the security section. Anyway, every time my PS2 is about to load the .ELF file on my disc, the eye ALWAYS moves back to the Security ring and then my PS freezes up if I am using a copy. The original discs load fine. But I will try timing it as its booting. I might get lucky. If not, I will post it.

  2. #12
    New Member theonetoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPheonixArk View Post
    Its possible.... Your solutions are new to me.

    The other guides I was following were telling me to wait till certain parts of the game, Like for Agent Under Fire, Wait till the 2nd level, (Car chase level) Then, at the load screen, switch the disc then load the file. Metal Gear Solid 3, it was: Wait until you can select Camo, and go into the other Camo mode then as its loading, switch. And need for speed underground 2, well thats easy. From the main Menu and chose to connect to the network, then switch befor it loads. I have't tried switching at the PS2 logo.

    The problem I seem to have is, The Official PS2 discs have a small area around the center ring where the PS2 security info is stored. Its almost like a partitioned harddrive. Since NO blank CD.DVD/Bu-ray has that little area, its impossible to copy the security section. Anyway, every time my PS2 is about to load the .ELF file on my disc, the eye ALWAYS moves back to the Security ring and then my PS freezes up if I am using a copy. The original discs load fine. But I will try timing it as its booting. I might get lucky. If not, I will post it.
    I have the same issue. Thing is I haven't tried with Agent under fire yet as I'm still waiting for it to come in, but I have tried with about three other games. I tried 007 Nightfire, but that freezes on the loading screen after starting the driving level. I tried Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked, but no luck there as it checked the security ring about three times and then I tried Star Wars Battlefront 2 and had the same issue as Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked. The key to softmodding is getting a game that only takes one swap which is why I'm waiting for Agent Under Fire as it seems to be the easiest one.
    My Gaming Platforms

    Spoiler



  3. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theonetoday View Post
    I have the same issue. Thing is I haven't tried with Agent under fire yet as I'm still waiting for it to come in, but I have tried with about three other games. I tried 007 Nightfire, but that freezes on the loading screen after starting the driving level. I tried Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked, but no luck there as it checked the security ring about three times and then I tried Star Wars Battlefront 2 and had the same issue as Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked. The key to softmodding is getting a game that only takes one swap which is why I'm waiting for Agent Under Fire as it seems to be the easiest one.
    Yes, my friend in South Dakota tried to do it with Gameshark, but he didn't realize you needed an older GS (Anything before 2.0). He tried with agent under fire and got it first time. It seems that AUF is like the gateway game. out of all the games people have tried, it seems to be the most successful. Except for me of course. Its just my luck. I have been attempting to time the PS2 Logo swaps, but still nothing yet. I am thinking about asking my friend to try and do it, but I am a little iffy about sending my whole system out of state. I am really hoping to find someone I can send my Mem Card to and just do the files like that.

  4. #14
    New Member theonetoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I don't feel comfortable sending my console or my stuff to other people, I like to know what's done so if I ever need to do it again. Plus I'm doing this for my friends too. As soon as I am soft modded I will hack their mem cards. I will post again with my results for agent under fire

  5. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree. I am the same way. I have been iffy about the whole situation. I am just so tired of staying out countless nights and burning countless DVDs of the 35 + games I have and trying to replace ELF files and it just not working. Question. Is there any one DVD thats better then the other for burning the games? I am using Sony DVD-R 4.7 GB. Is there maybe a compatibility issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by theonetoday View Post
    I don't feel comfortable sending my console or my stuff to other people, I like to know what's done so if I ever need to do it again. Plus I'm doing this for my friends too. As soon as I am soft modded I will hack their mem cards. I will post again with my results for agent under fire

  6. #16
    New Member theonetoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Apparently DVD-R is the best because it wont wear out the laser as fast. Then its DVD+R then DVD RW. 007 actually came in today and it worked like a charm, first try. Problem is now I'm having issues getting my backups to work with esr, but thats another thread. If I were you, I'd get 007 Agent Under Fire. It really is the gateway game.
    My Gaming Platforms

    Spoiler



  7. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 77 Times in 67 Posts
    I was able to mod mine using MGS:3 snake eater just last weekend. It was fun as hell doing it not really knowing what the heck I was doing wondering if I would break the console. Mine is a phat and a from pretty early on. I can post the videos and info that helped me if you want. My major issue was not knowing which button to press in the game...I kept using X but that one is cancel. Once the game was swapped I accidentally started it, it played fine off the backup. I had skip all the cutscenes and find a way to kill myself, I jumped off a cliff. Then I just had to go to the menu and and select camouflague download and was off and running.

    Its rough, PS2 homebrew was never very big and searching the net for all this old info can be tough.

    However I made an ESR patched backup of Sonic Mega Collection and can't get it to work. I am going to try more....but I just ordered a hard drive and network adapter so I can mess with it even more.

  8. #18
    New Member theonetoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Im not sure if this is the issue (i dont own the game) but could it be double sided? If so you need a double sided disc to burn it to
    My Gaming Platforms

    Spoiler



  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 77 Times in 67 Posts

    Arrow

    Mgs3 is single sided. I did see some one else having trouble using it on you tube. They were using a slide card though and I opened mine up to do it.

    Could be case sensitivity. The elf file is case sensitive and you should name your replacement exactly the same as the original one. Also some models you simply can't do it on, there Are ways to identify if your model is hack able. I used a memorex DVD-R. I think I used apache to edit the iso and image burn to rip and burn the backup.

    here is the video I watched to show me how to swap (slide card seemed more difficult to me)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...76q3614eDM3ckQ

    The video is showing how to play ps1 backups but I had no problems doing this for ps2 mgs3. I don't think there is really much timing involved, I simply swapped while at the menu screen of the game. The backup then should play just like the original disc, I was really clumsy doing it too but it worked fine. then you do the game action that triggers the elf file you swapped in to your iso, in mgs3 it's selecting the camouflage download.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 05-29-2013 at 09:18 PM.

  10. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 77 Times in 67 Posts
    Well I burned another ESR backup and it doesn't work either. I have picked games that are in great condition with no smudges or scratches at all. If I boot with the ESR game the thing freezes (I think because it is set to auto boot esr games), If I go to the browser it takes forever to read but if I wait it out it usually reports an error. If I go to the ESR GUI it takes awhile and then reports unknown media.

    Is there some setting I am overlooking? My console reads DVD fine and plays DVD-R movies fine and played MGS3 backup disc fine when I did disc swap. It does have some trouble with audio CD's but plays CD games fine. The audio CD has to be in about perfect condition to play.

    I have one time on each game I think almost got the game to boot....it seemed to be reading and the screen started flashing all sorts of different colors (I may have even seen a boot logo but I am not sure) but then it just hung at a black screen. This took several trys to even get that far.

    Is the flashing color screen a normal thing when booting an ESR backup?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •