Xbox 360 still on top while the Wii continues to fall
The August 2010 U.S. retail videogame sales results are in, and we got the numbers! According to the data gathered by the NPD Group, the Xbox 360 continues to lead the hardware charts, posting another impressive numbers for the second month in throw, while EA's annual football showcase, Madden NFL 11, leads the software side.
The Xbox 360 moved 356,700 units last month and is expected to dominate the charts once again with the impending release of Halo: Reach next week. The PS3 on the other hand sold 226,000 units in August, posting a five percent increase, and for the thirteenth straight month, showed a significant growth as compared to its sales one year ago while the PSP continues to dive down below. Meanwhile, on the Nintendo's side, things are not looking very bright as the Wii saw its lowest month of hardware sales since launch, selling only 244,300 units and the DS selling fourteen percent fewer systems as compared to the other month.
U.S. hardware sales for the month of August:
1. Xbox 360: 356,700
2. Nintendo DS: 342,700
3. Wii: 244,300
4. PlayStation 3: 226,000
5. PlayStation Portable: 79,400
On the software side, EA's Madden 11 dominated the charts, posting a combined 1,814,400 units between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game while Take-Two's crime drama sequel, Mafia II, debuted at the fourth spot.
U.S. retail game sales for August:
1. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, 360) 920,800
2. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, PS3) 893,600
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) 124,600
4. Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, 360) 121,600
5. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS) 110,400
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, Wii)
7. Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, PS3)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, 360)
9. NCAA Football 11 (Electronic Arts, 360)
10. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)