Softmodded Wii, 4.2u, USB loader GX, USB drive... No luck.
Alright, so i've read through a rediculous amount of this thread, and tried alot of things. I'm going to start at the beginning and try to walk through everything i've tested.
First off, i've got version 4.2U of the Wii, and it's an American bought Wii (NTSC, right?). I was having issues with the disc loading giving out, so I came to this wonderful site as a work around. I completely soft-modded my Wii using Shadowsonic's guide from the recommended guides section HERE. Since then i've had plenty of success playing both NSMB Wii, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 from USB, using USB Loader GX. Monster Hunter Tri however gives me the exact issue that was discussed here (loads fine, hit new game, black screen, nasty sound). These are the steps I followed.
1) Downloaded Hermes cIOS 222 v4 program from this thread.
2) Installed Custom IOS 223, selected use IOS 38 merged with IOS 37.(First selecting to install it using IOS 249)
3) Tried running the game with USB loader GX, using IOS 223. Result: Game no longer runs at all, immediately get a black screen, no sound.
4) Browsed forums further, found that someone with the same issue was told to ensure they had IOS55 (v5197) installed.
5) Checked my Wii, I currently have IOS 55 installed, however I have a different version (v54??, It's uninstalled, no idea what version it was now).
6) Installed IOS55 v5197, attempted running the game, same issue. Black screen, no sound.
7) Attempted updating USB Loader GX, the update option in USB loader GX shows that I have the latest version.
8) Installed IOS 222 as 38 merged with 37 and attempted running with IOS 222. No dice.
9) Went back over these steps, repeating them to ensure no mistakes were made. No dice.
I've attempted version game load options (Force NTSC, 002 fix, etc etc) and am still playing aroung with options as I type this. Any advice?
TL;DR - I followed the initial instructions in this guide, only to get a black screen after selecting the game from USB Loader GX. After reading the first like 20 pages of this thread and testing everything within', i've become relatively frustrated, and decided to simply ask. Help?
EDIT/UPDATE - I've downloaded CFG USB loader to try with, as some people have reported success there where USB Loader GX failed. When loading with IOS 223 or 222 I get this message
IOS(223) nload ...
Base: IOS38 nload v4 ..
Nothing appears beyond this point. The disc light on my Wii turns on when the second line appears, and that's as far as it goes. I hope this extra info helps.
EDIT/UPDATE 2 - Updated my cIOS from rev14 to rev 17, since davepm stated a few times it's the most stable version currently, and the one his guide was intended for. No change. Still a black screen when i run the game with IOS 222/223, and running with 249 gives me the game until I hit new game. Then the sound kicks in. My other games still work fine though.
EDIT/UPDATE 3 - It's now the next day. Went back through the suggested steps for the third time with a fresh mind (Figured I must be doing something wrong) and still no go. I notice that the disc drive light turns on when I attempt to run the game, at which point i get a black screen. No other game does that when I load, in fact, I just tried out FF:CC The Crystal Bearers, which I downloaded last night. That's running fine.
I refuse to give up on this after spending this long at it... Any help would be appreciated.
EDIT/UPDATE 4 - This has quickly become the place to go to log changes. Noticed that Hermes IOS 222 installer was installed from SD card when I selected 223 with 38 merged with 37. Loaded Hermes, ejected the SD card to force internet update, and it did just that. Ran MH3 Tri using USB loader GX and IOS 223, and I get the splash screen followed by "Checking MH3 data" followed by a black screen and a freeze. Put back in the SD card and back to square one, not even getting as far as checking the data. Just the black screen. Did a little more screwing around, realized that the reason it;s loading with no SD card is because it is loading with 249 rather then 222 or 223. Cant save settings, so its forced this way. Not even getting to the title screen with 249 now, so I think i have something else screwed up... Help please?