Watching BBC iPlayer outside the UK
Here's my first attempt at a tutorial to give something back after all the help I've had on modding the Wii - big thanks to all on WiiHacks
The BBC iPlayer is Geo-IP protected so to view it from outside the UK you will need to connect through a proxy with a UK IP address.
Nb This guide is based on a softmodded Wii with 4.2E firmware
- Modded Wii with Homebrew & a wad manager installed
- Good internet connection (& good signal if you connect the Wii via wifi)
- BBC iPlayer channel (google "BBCiPlayer.wad.rar")
- Fast & reliable access via proxy server with UK IP address*
- In Homebrew - Use Wad Manager to install BBCiPlayer.wad
- From Wii System menu go to >Wii options - Wii settings #2 - Internet - Connection settings - Connection 1 - Change setup #4 - Use - Advanced settings - Proxy server.
- Enter a UK proxy IP address (format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
- >Port 4040
- >Advanced settings - Username and password - Yes (if you've signed up for a private proxy) - enter your details - Confirm
- Go back to System menu and start your newly installed BBC iPlayer channel
All the above worked flawlessly first time and the video is smooth with no freezes at all (To test it I used the paying identity cloaker subscription service which has 10 day minimum charge of 5€).
*I haven't tried them but free proxies like Vidalia/Tor will probably not be fast or reliable enough for smooth streaming but please share any free methods/proxies found to work.
UPDATE: I tried this with another UK proxy & it didn't work - on the PC I had to input two ports 808 & 1080 to make it work but the Wii couldn't connect with either of these ports :(
In the UK - To use BBC iPlayer on the Wii you just need to go to the shopping channel and download the iPlayer channel which is a free download, so you don't need this tutorial.
(TV Licence comment removed & answered below - Thanks Robbobnbill)