Bought a broken Wii console (knowingly)
What I found out:
1. Upon powering up, no banner. Black screen
2. No Preloader/BootMii installed from the previous owner
3. Upon pressing the power button, the DVD drive flashes once only - so no BootMii recovery
3. Got the generic GC controller for the d-pad trick (SaveMiiFrii?) Did not work. However I was able to get this to work on my other Wii
4. Disassembled the DVD drive and tested it on a working Wii - DVD works fine
I checked with the previous owner and confirmed that the system menu was corrupted during some hack process. Unfortunately he did not have Preloader / SaveMii installed prior to getting bricked.
My question is, even the SaveMiiFrii does not work, can I get a DriveKey / Wasabi DX, enable autoboot with the working Wii, and use it to unbrick the bricked one? Not sure if the Drivekey / Wasabi DX with autoboot only works with Semi-Bricked Wii or they would work for the black-screened Wiis.
If not, I still get a good-working DVD drive out of it.. :D