Homebrew Channel Freezes at Startup
EDIT: Doesn't freeze at Homebrew Channel; actually freezes before, at bootmii startup.
Well, I started my little adventure into hacking my Wii using this tutorial, Bannerbomb - WiiBrew
The reason for this is I somehow managed to buy a SDHC card instead of an SD, and that was the first guide I found that said that would work. The problem I'm having is that when I first start the Homebrew Channel (the dark backdrop and four gray icons after the initial screen) my system freezes. Or, at least, my Wiimote becomes unresponsive.
The steps I took were, as stated in the wiki (in addition, I updated to 4.2, which is starting to seem like a bad idea):
1. If your SD card has a private directory with saved channels, rename it temporarily, e.g. to "privateold". Having other saved channels on the same card will screw it up. (You can skip this step if you don't have any channels on the SD card. Saves are fine.)
2. Copy the Bannerbomb "private" folder to the root of your SD card.
3. Take your Wii executable, name it "boot.dol" or "boot.elf" if it isn't already, and save it in the root directory of your SD card.
4. Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
5.* For Bannerbomb v2: Go to the SD Card Menu on the main System Menu screen
6. A message should appear asking to "load boot.dol/.elf". If it freezes or does not appear, download the next .zip file from the Bannerbomb website and start over.
7. The homebrew on your SD card will load. Enjoy!...
The problem being Step 7 didn't go so smoothly.
Next step as far as I know is following the recommended tutorial on these forums (http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...tem-menus.html), but it's not mentioned whether my SDHC card will work (kind of assuming it won't), and to top it all off, for some reason I'm running Vista which I'm just now finding out is notorious for having driver issues with SD/SDHC cards, so it's slow going for something that may not even work.
In the meantime, my Wii's not exactly virgin, and with any luck will have that tutorial's whosits on it before long, but as far as I know, it's currently devoid of homebrew... anything.
Anyway, now that I've got my little bastard child of a vent and plea for help out, has anyone else seen this problem? Ideally I'd like to get Brawl+ up and running for the family gathering surrounding Thanksgiving, but I suppose the worst case scenario is that I end up getting a shiny new SD card a few days, instead.
Any help would be appreciated, and for the record, I couldn't find anything directly related to this problem. Assuming this is a known problem conveniently solved in that other tutorial, then nevermind. I'm sort of getting ahead of myself, but hey, I wasn't doing much anyway.