Warning - Possible Full Brick after Downgrade to 3.2 from 4.0+ System Menu.
A recent spate of low-level Bricks has prompted me to investigate a problem that seems to occur when Wii users downgrade their system from System Menu 4.0+ to the System Menu 3.2 and then accept any disc update to 3.4.
- IOS50 v4889 is the current 3.4 System Menu and is required to boot a 3.4 Wii.
- IOS50 v5120 is installed at 4.0 or above, this is a stub or empty IOS.
- When we downgrade to 3.2 we leave the stub IOS50 v5120 intact on our system.
- When we update using a 3.4 disc this IOS50 v5120 stub is ignored as it has a higher version than the normal one on the disc.
The result = Full Brick, Black Screen, No System Menu, No Recovery Menu, No Preloader.
The only fixes for the brick -
- Bootmii as boot2 and a re-install of System Menu.
- Send the Wii to Nintendo for very expensive repair.
We can prevent this.
Install IOS50 v4889.wad to your Wii using Wad manager just in case the system is updated.
IOS50 v4889.wad is available on any 3.4 update disc (Use Wiiscrubber), or download the following which is taken from Grand Slam Tennis IOS50 v4889.wad