Which Wii Titles convinced you to buy a Wii?
I have owned 2 Wii's over the last 5 years (my first one died when my cat chew through the AC cable shorting out the whole system!).
I was wondering, with stiff competition from both Sony and Microsoft (as well as a crazy PC gaming scene), which Wii games sold you on buying a Wii?
For me, I've always been a big fan of all in-house Nintendo titles as long as I can remember.
Anything Mario (except those dreadful Mario and Sonic at the Olympics titles) has always been on the top of my fave games lists. My fave Mario Games are (in no particular order):
- Mario Bros. 3 - NES, Absolute definitive Mario classic!
- Super Mario 64 - N64, Mario's first foray into 3D
- Mario Kart 64 - N64- I can't remember how many weekends I wasted playing 24hr marathons with my high school buddies.
- Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube - Mario is way more fun with a water gun!
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii - I know it was first done on DS, but Mario belongs on a bigger screen! I suspect this is the first of many of what I like to call "retro-classic revamps". This gave birth to a "RCR" Donkey Kong Country Returns and I believe the SNES classic DuckTales is coming soon this year :-)
The Legend of Zelda series will always hold a special place in gaming which is occupied by the Final Fantasy series for many other gamers. Using the same formula and elements across the entire series has proven a winning formula which seems to get better with every game. I first fell in love with this series with Link's Awakening on Gameboy. Since then I haven't missed a title and I haven't regretted a purchase. My fave title to date is Ocarina of time followed shortly by Twilight Princess. Can't wait for Majora's Mask on WiiU, and will probably persuade me to buy the console if I don't already own one by the release date.
The Metroid series has not always been a favourite of mine, but the last few games (namely Other M) have been perfect examples of first person shooters done well on Nintendo consoles.
Other honorable mentions are Smash Bros., Goldeneye 007 (on both N64 and Wii) and anything Kirby.
I also like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on Wii. Although it looks like an upscaled PSP game (yet still looks better than most third party games on Wii), I find the controls using the Wiimote and Nunchuck give the game a more authentic "Star Warsy" feel than on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. With Disney's purchase of the Star Wars franchise and upcoming Episodes VII, VIII and IX I bet we'll no-doubtedly see more Star Wars on Nintendo in time to come!
So I've given you my two cents... what games drove you to buy a Wii?