Info on the latest 3.3 update. It is strongly recommended that you don't update, as you will lose a lot of homebrew/hacking features on your Wii. And there is currently no way to downgrade from it!
Updated all IOSes, and IOS51
Released: 23rd October 2008
* This blocks new installations of anything fakesigned, that is, Homebrew Channel (both new installs and updates), wads (legal and illegal), Starfall, cIOS, anything that installs IOSes secretly like AnyRegion Changer or AnyTitle Deleter, xyzzy and DVDX (used for apps which have DVD support). This list is not exhaustive, but please add to it if you think of anything else.
* This also blocks access to /dev/flash. This means raw nand dumping utilities no longer work.
* If something is already installed then it isn't affected, like Homebrew Channel, etc.
* The homebrew developers are already planning how to work around this update.
* You currently need this update to access the Wii Shop Channel.
* If you already have the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, and aren't planning to install anything big that will affect your Wii, then you are most likely unaffected. Normal everyday apps such as Homebrew Browser are completely unaffected as long as you already have the Homebrew Channel.
* It updates all IOSes with the fakesigning bug, and adds IOS51.
The unofficial Homebrew Helper. Ask me how!
thanks for the load of info
helpss a tonn
Alright i think I'll do the update.
I ALREADY have this stuff:
DVDx on CIOS249
wiigator's ISO loader
I'll test everything.
Ok... Here is what works and doesn't work for me. I have a USA console WITHOUT a modchip.
Everything is previously installed
HBC --- WORKS
wad manager --- FAIL
wiigator's ISO loader --- WORKS
Playing DVD's with MPlayer --- FAIL <-- took way too long
Oh well, no more free wads... maybe until someone finds a way around it...
Thanks very much Chris that was very brave and generous of you to carry out that testing.
Did i just read "Support USB Hard Drive" !!??
Must install this!!
So if I already used AnyRegion Changer to change a few settings, will this upgrade reset them all, or would they remain the same, but impossible to change back?