Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Steam Wii Backup Games To Console?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Lightbulb Steam Wii Backup Games To Console?

    I know with PSP because of limited storage you could have your system connect over wifi or USB to your computer and you could use your computer as a storage, and if you were feeling really bawlsy you could even open up the streaming port and try from off the LAN.

    So I was wondering if there is anything out there yet for Wii that would allow the storage of the game to remain on your computer and then stream it over to the Wii?
    If there is nothing yet, I am quite surprised :O, but maybe it wouldn't be reasonable? : \

    I'm not sure if with the PSP version if it allowed the game to just request what part of the game it needed and then it would load it, or if it would actually stream and allow you to play while it loaded/cached the copy onto the PSP.

    It just gets annoying jumping back and forth with the USB when 16 GB doesn't even hold you over, in reality the USB needs to hold everything : (, but it's much more reasonable to have it on the computer and stream since the home computer can hold so much more : ) storage wise.

    I know it's possible to stream music/video, there are plenty of guides out there on well known sites, but what about games?

    Maybe it was the custom homebrew on the PSP that allowed you to switch between the game and their special menu that allowed this to happen, and maybe that's not possible with the Wii? Or nobody has yet tried? Or it's not possible.

    But I'm hoping someone can say "yes that does exist"

  2. #2
    WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff

    Junior Moderator
    Bliepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On your harddrive (file name: Bliepo.crazy)
    Posts
    1,581
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked 391 Times in 312 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    It doesn't exist.
    Awesome sig picture does not work
    Brick Prevention- Things you should never do | Ignoring advice and bricking | Be a jedi, donate
    Guide: Softmod ANY wii | How to post a system check | Loading and Playing Wii Backup Games from USB HDD (softmod only)
    System Menu X (IOS150, E) | HBC 1.08 (IOS58) | bootmii/boot2v4 | priiloader 0.7 | cIOSX rev21d2x_v6 (main base IOS 57) | cIOS 223 (IOS 37 + 38 merged) | USB Loader GX 2.2

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any recommended learning sources?
    To learn/introduce homebrew programming for the Wii?

    I found this but it seems a bit dated?
    Devkitppc setup (Windows) - WiiBrew

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    nightstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Repatriated to WH
    Posts
    18,463
    Thanks
    1,840
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 3,622 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS_AE View Post
    It just gets annoying jumping back and forth with the USB when 16 GB doesn't even hold you over, in reality the USB needs to hold everything : (, but it's much more reasonable to have it on the computer and stream since the home computer can hold so much more : ) storage wise.
    Know why there's no such thing? Learn what a USB thumb drive is, and what the difference is between it and a USB hard drive... that's why you won't see this.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstah View Post
    Know why there's no such thing? Learn what a USB thumb drive is, and what the difference is between it and a USB hard drive... that's why you won't see this.
    I know what a flash drive/thumb drive is and an external USB hard drive is as well as their differences. I was just looking for the cheap alternative which would be to use what I already have, but I figured I would ask before purchasing an external HDD which can cost just about as much as a Wii itself

    Now I know for sure something like this doesn't exist, I am new to the scene and was just wondering since I could only find one relevant topic to this on the forums.

    It's still to say such a thing is may be possible though, if no body has yet tried to create something like this.

  6. #6
    New Member Faria1st's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ USA
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    It sounds like you are having an issue with space and don't want to buy an external HDD. There are alternatives. I have all my wbfs and Wii iso files in a shared folder on my PC. I use a Wode jukebox that is connected to my and PC via usb to Ethernet, to play the games on my Wii directly from my PC. Completely disregard all of this if it isn't relative to what you actually need.

  7. 1 User Says Thank You Faria1st For This Useful Post


  8. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Faria1st View Post
    It sounds like you are having an issue with space and don't want to buy an external HDD. There are alternatives. I have all my wbfs and Wii iso files in a shared folder on my PC. I use a Wode jukebox that is connected to my and PC via usb to Ethernet, to play the games on my Wii directly from my PC. Completely disregard all of this if it isn't relative to what you actually need.
    Pretty interesting device though, thanks for opening my eyes to that possibility as well.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    WiiHacks Staff
    Forum Administrator
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    nightstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Repatriated to WH
    Posts
    18,463
    Thanks
    1,840
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 3,622 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS_AE View Post
    I was just looking for the cheap alternative which would be to use what I already have, but I figured I would ask before purchasing an external HDD which can cost just about as much as a Wii itself
    $40 refurb job here guaranteed to be compatible. Hardly what I'd call "as much as the Wii itself"...

    That's a 320gb WD My Passport Essential USB 2.0 drive...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •