Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Japanese Wii needs updating

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Japanese Wii needs updating

    Okay so I bought a hardmodded japanese wii with firmware 2.0J on eBay. (and I know its hardmodded, because I opened it up to check) It can play some backup games, but a lot are asking for updates, i guess I can't tell cuz its in japanese, but I haven't clicked the OK button, because im afraid it might update which might brick the thing.

    Anyways, I want to know if its true that if you update on a hardmodded wii, it will brick or semi-brick or whatever. Or if you update using an english NTSC game on a japanese NTSC wii. Or does the modchip take care of that? And that there might be some additional steps?? Do I need to soft mod it? Okay I've never hacked anything so Im not really confident with doing this, but I might if it's necessary cause theres no one on this island who I know that can do this.

  2. #2
    Forum Administrator BluPhant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,352
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 720 Posts
    Start by taking a look at Mauifrogs http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...d-any-wii.html thread on softmodding your wii. There is a region change section in there. I dont have personal experience with this, although I'm sure you'll get some additional advice.

    -Blu

    Softmod ANY Wii
    | USB-FAT32 | Error Index | Chat!
    An Introduction To Wii Hacking - MUST READ for all new Wii Hackers
    If I have been of help to you, please click the "Thanks" icon to the left.



  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    my experience is you must update to at least 3.x menu for bbomb methods to work.
    you just need a ntsc/j game that update, can someone confirm mario kart j? you might need to import.

    Anyways, I want to know if its true that if you update on a hardmodded wii, it will brick or semi-brick or whatever. Or if you update using an english NTSC game on a japanese NTSC wii.
    if you update from wrong region I think.

    mine was hardmodded when I had it, but luckily it was 3.2u which was bannerbombable.
    update the ios if you don't like 4.2u and like to stay on 3.2
    Last edited by tmtmac2; 04-07-2011 at 08:12 AM.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BluPhant View Post
    Start by taking a look at Mauifrogs http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...d-any-wii.html thread on softmodding your wii. There is a region change section in there. I dont have personal experience with this, although I'm sure you'll get some additional advice.

    -Blu
    I actually did, I read it. The entire thing. Still a bit confusing though. But I just want to update the firmware for now, I'm fine with the fact that the thing is in jp. but can i use the MMM-16 (whatever that is) disc update to update it and then it'll still work? I mean i'd only do that, and then done? or do I need to do everything in the guide? just to change the region, which isnt really a priority, I just want the discs to work.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmtmac2 View Post
    my experience is you must update to at least 3.x menu for bbomb methods to work.
    you just need a ntsc/j game that update, can someone confirm mario kart j? you might need to import.


    if you update from wrong region I think.

    mine was hardmodded when I had it, but luckily it was 3.2u which was bannerbombable.
    update the ios if you don't like 4.2u and like to stay on 3.2
    but wait, wrong region, you mean like PAL game on a NTSC wii? english on jap is fine?

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    well an NTSC/J game that updates is guaranteed, PAL is Eur.

    not sure if ntsc will be fine, but as mentioned, ntsc/j is guaranteed.

    which isnt really a priority, I just want the discs to work.
    you need homebrew for the discs to work, neogamma/geckos,
    and to install homebrew, you need the exploits, ie: bannerbomb,
    and to do that, you must atleast 3.3/2x (i think), is the easiest path for your homebrew.
    because afaik, even twihack needs 3.3x SM, but you have bannerbomb, so that's easier.
    Last edited by tmtmac2; 04-08-2011 at 04:41 AM.

  7. #7
    WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    skellinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE United States
    Posts
    6,066
    Thanks
    827
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,757 Posts
    There is a section in the guide for you. It looks like you have 2 choices on methods of softmodding. If you follow the guide exactly as Mauifrog instructs you will have everything you need to play your games. The guide will update you to sm4.1 and update all of your ios's. It has region specific instructions, be sure to pay attention to them. You can also change the region if you like. Be sure to read an follow instructions though. If you have any questions, post them in the guide.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmtmac2 View Post
    you need homebrew for the discs to work, neogamma/geckos,
    and to install homebrew, you need the exploits, ie: bannerbomb,
    and to do that, you must atleast 3.3/2x (i think), is the easiest path for your homebrew.
    because afaik, even twihack needs 3.3x SM, but you have bannerbomb, so that's easier.
    lol please go easy on me, i'm new to this

    what you're trying to say is that my discs won't work without homebrew? then how come some of my games do work? like super paper mario, nfs carbon, TMNT.. but other games like trauma center 2nd opinion loads but gives a disc error? i dont get it

  9. #9
    Senior Member Shift_Lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The City of Rain
    Posts
    5,932
    Thanks
    1,320
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Use the guide suggested......

    Did I come off like a jerk?? Read more here


    [/spoiler]

  10. #10
    WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Forum Administrator
    IRC AOP
    skellinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE United States
    Posts
    6,066
    Thanks
    827
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raykyogrou0 View Post
    lol please go easy on me, i'm new to this

    what you're trying to say is that my discs won't work without homebrew? then how come some of my games do work? like super paper mario, nfs carbon, TMNT.. but other games like trauma center 2nd opinion loads but gives a disc error? i dont get it

    I don't know much about hardmods, but I think that the chips are able to be updated. If you know what kind of chip it is, someone in the hardmod section would be able to point you in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •