Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: newbies guide / terminology explained!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question newbies guide / terminology explained!

    Hi guys, me newbie and been reading around fair a bit but still confused to a lot of the terminology and what they are for.

    So if anyone can give me a brief explanation or redirect me the the right place for the followings would be great!:

    -wii key? whats it for?

    -internet/wifi becarefuls? can modded wii go online?

    -wii update/firmware cautions? how?

    -wiiware?

    -why some games work and some dont, PAL/NTSC? fix?/explain

    -mod-chip firmware?? necessary? where and how


    (Please use the d2b/d2c mods of ones after that for reference if possible.)

    Thanks for help!~
    Last edited by aliguu; 09-12-2008 at 10:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Member Dark Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Trinidad W.I
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by aliguu View Post
    Hi guys, me newbie and been reading around fair a bit but still confused to a lot of the terminology and what they are for.

    So if anyone can give me a brief explanation or redirect me the the right place for the followings would be great!:

    -wii key? whats it for?

    -internet/wifi becarefuls? can modded wii go online?

    -wii update/firmware cautions? how?

    -wiiware?

    -why some games work and some dont, PAL/NTSC? fix?/explain

    -mod-chip firmware?? necessary? where and how


    (Please use the d2b/d2c mods of ones after that for reference if possible.)

    Thanks for help!~
    ok.....I'm trying to put everything for you in a nutshell.
    wiikey: it is designed for all dms,d2a and d2b wiidrive chipsets

    yes the modified wii can go online but be very cautious

    wii firmwares/updates, is just basically little software tweaks for the game to play properly, but cross updating the system (i.e updating the system with a pal update on a ntsc-u system or vice-versa can result in a bricked system)

    wiiware is little utilities for your wii

    why some game will not work cause of multiple reasons, (if your wii is modded and you attempting to play backups and it is not reading, the type of media you are using, what kind of burner and software you use and how you configure your pc)

    now the modified wii can play both ntsc an pal games, for the wii to play pal games on an ntsc systems you need to patch the game iso using region frii for the game to play without the screen rolling or showing in black and white

    now modchip firmware updates is very important for all nex-gen systems cause remember the manufacturers who makes the systems and games will do anything in their power to stop people from modifying their product (in their dreams) so whenever they release a game title with an update or a system update to detect any kind of modifications done to their system the modchip makers will have to work hard to make an update for their chips to cope with these security issues and whatever chip you bought you will get the updates right in the website or you can get them right here. whoooo now that was a mouthful but I hope I answered your questions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi dark thanks alot!!
    these are very good for everything i asked! Am sure many new starter are thankful to you too ^^

    Couple more question for you and or any other pros out there:

    wii update/firmware - is this done via nintendo online? so if they ask me to update i can choose no?
    and so if this is the case how come the officials can not detect my wii if its a NTSC or PAL? its all done online so i thought they can id this?

    wiiware - i suppose its a utility to run 3rd party stuff right? (homebrew games/useful apps etc?)
    this has to do with getting online too? would nintendo need my wii to be latest firmwared?

    Now my wii is NTSC, so if i got a game thats PAL, i need to do that 'region frii'.
    But i have got PAL games that works on my machine without doing this?
    or maybe it was already region frii and i just too noob to know...?! ;p
    Last edited by aliguu; 09-19-2008 at 09:17 PM.

  4. #4
    Member Dark Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Trinidad W.I
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aliguu View Post
    Hi dark thanks alot!!
    these are very good for everything i asked! Am sure many new starter are thankful to you too ^^

    Couple more question for you and or any other pros out there:

    wii update/firmware - is this done via nintendo online? so if they ask me to update i can choose no?
    and so if this is the case how come the officials can not detect my wii if its a NTSC or PAL? its all done online so i thought they can id this?

    wiiware - i suppose its a utility to run 3rd party stuff right? (homebrew games/useful apps etc?)
    this has to do with getting online too? would nintendo need my wii to be latest firmwared?

    Now my wii is NTSC, so if i got a game thats PAL, i need to do that 'region frii'.
    But i have got PAL games that works on my machine without doing this?
    or maybe it was already region frii and i just too noob to know...?! ;p
    hey no problem buddy...just here trying to help everyone.

    to answer your questions again lol:
    no not all the time the update is done online, it can be through the original game disc. If it under beta, be very careful cause you may have to downgrade it using the homebrew channel program called teknoconsolas downgrader.
    and why the nintendo company cannot detect your wii if it is an NTSC cause they don't have time to check your region etc. (I think so)
    yes wiiware is small homebrew apps that can run a few apps (like emulators, ripped games)(beta testing) and yes it may have something to do with online connection too and no your wii don't have to have the latest firmware cause mines still running the 2.x U FW still and running every single game that is out right now. Unless if it is necessary for you to make an app run smoothly.

    yes if your game console is NTSC and you need to run PAL games you need to patch your game cause you don't want to be color blind as it shows in black and white or rolling like a ball (LOL)
    Probably the games you have probably downloaded is already been patched or region free already
    Any more questions my friend?
    Thanks everyone for the great support.
    Hope to hear from you soon, cause i'm getting ready to retire from the modding scene.
    Gonna start a new profession.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes, I have a question for you

    My wii is NTSC - US version. My friend handed to me some games with PAL version. If we want to play it on my machine, what should it be done to play both versions?

    Thx!

  6. #6
    Member Dark Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Trinidad W.I
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike69 View Post
    yes, I have a question for you

    My wii is NTSC - US version. My friend handed to me some games with PAL version. If we want to play it on my machine, what should it be done to play both versions?

    Thx!
    Now first question......is the games original or backups?

    Is you wii modified?

    If so....what chip?

    How old is the wii?
    Thanks everyone for the great support.
    Hope to hear from you soon, cause i'm getting ready to retire from the modding scene.
    Gonna start a new profession.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just bought my wii couple of wks ago. My modchip is wasabi.

    The PAL games he gave to me are backups.

  8. #8
    Member Dark Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Trinidad W.I
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    you'll need to download this program called Wii Update Manager (WUM) for your PAL backups to work.
    Thanks everyone for the great support.
    Hope to hear from you soon, cause i'm getting ready to retire from the modding scene.
    Gonna start a new profession.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WUM is to tell us about ISO, but how can we know that PAL dvd is able to play on our machine? If not, how to make it to playable?? Sorry for a stupid question. If I don't ask, I wouldn't know forever........hehe



    WUM is GNU/GPL software who can help you to :
    - analyse a wii game iso file (or directly the DVD on linux) and tell you :

    which is the region of the game (and other informations)
    which is the region of the update
    if there is a firmware update inside
    if there is a risk to perform this update
    if the update has already been modofied by WUM
    - patch the update of this iso to :

    put an inerte update inside : function Brick Block
    replace by another update : can be use to make tests or unbrick semi-bricked wii
    So using WUM will help you to understand better the iso file you want to play before insert it in your favorite console...

  10. #10
    Member Dark Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Trinidad W.I
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike69 View Post
    WUM is to tell us about ISO, but how can we know that PAL dvd is able to play on our machine? If not, how to make it to playable?? Sorry for a stupid question. If I don't ask, I wouldn't know forever........hehe



    WUM is GNU/GPL software who can help you to :
    - analyse a wii game iso file (or directly the DVD on linux) and tell you :

    which is the region of the game (and other informations)
    which is the region of the update
    if there is a firmware update inside
    if there is a risk to perform this update
    if the update has already been modofied by WUM
    - patch the update of this iso to :

    put an inerte update inside : function Brick Block
    replace by another update : can be use to make tests or unbrick semi-bricked wii
    So using WUM will help you to understand better the iso file you want to play before insert it in your favorite console...
    No questions are not stupid.....
    Ok....let me try to make it easy for you my friend
    How will you know if the PAL dvd game is able to play in your machine?

    two things....if you insert the disc in the system and in the disc channel it shows up and when you enter the channel to play and it asks you for an update. It is working, but it will brick your wii, that is why I said to use the WUM program to remove the update for it to play.

    If you insert the PAL dvd game and it loads in the disc channel and it loads and when you enter the disc channel and start the game and it loads without no update but the screen just rolls or just shows in black and white
    You will definitely need this software (that I forget to mention called Wiu 1.0) to change the region to correct the black and white display or rolling issues.
    Hope this vital info helped you alot
    Thanks everyone for the great support.
    Hope to hear from you soon, cause i'm getting ready to retire from the modding scene.
    Gonna start a new profession.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •