Region Change of v4.2 Wii (SOLVED!)
Findings: Region changing is still very possible in 4.2 without restoration of previous nand dump.
Basically, it works just like region changing always did with AnyRegion Changer. The difference is that you have to let it semi-brick in AnyRegion Changer, because changing the Menu THERE leads to a full-brick (because it installs 3.2x but not it's necessary IOS, which even if it did, doesn't work on Wiis that come with boot2v4 from factory)... so let's go with the semi-brick instead of a full one.
Anyway, credit really goes to sensimillia who had the gonads to try this (it helps having bootmii/boot2 ;)). I've also successfully accomplished this without bootmii/boot2; however, it's still more kosher to use bootmii/boot2 for potentially nand-screwing-up type stunts.
Okay... so, here are the steps. They are thanks to sensimillia and his ability to understand what should have been happening while I was sitting here completely dumb-founded with my thumb up a certain oraface ;) and my eventual experimentation with Dop-IOS MOD (GREAT Program). For Dop-IOS MOD you need a functioning internet connection working on the Wii! If you have a japanese Wii I understand this might be a difficult proposition. I then suggest you refer to elcapitanwii's post on page 5 (post #43) if you can't get internet working.
Trucha Bug Restorer (TBR)
AnyRegion Changer (ARC)
Search each program up at WiiBrew
for reliable links to the latest versions and what-not.
1. create backup of Nand with BOOTMII
2. Download IOS15 v257, IOS15 v523 and IOS36 v3351 with NUSD and place the created wads to the root of the SD Card.
3. Run Trucha bug restorer and:
- Skip IOS reload by pressing "B" when asked to select an IOS to reload.
- Select downgrade IOS15 to v257
- Restart TBR and select IOS15 when asked which IOS to reload (DON'T hit "B" this time)
- Select IOS36 menu and make set the bottom option to match to top 2 above it, then hit "A" at the top to install to slot 36. (also doing this to slot 236 is optional. I prefer to put IOS36 back to normal after this but keep IOS236. the problem is, is that AnyRegion Changer needs IOS36 with trucha bug)
- Restart TBR again and skip IOS reload like before. Then restore IOS15 back to normal (not necessarily required, but let's just do it to be safe)
4. Run ARC and change region, country, etc to the desired region EXCEPT for System Menu then hit "save" (I REPEAT FOR THOSE WHO DON'T LISTEN AND THEN COMPLAIN: DON'T DOWNGRADE TO SYSTEM MENU 3.2!! You probably will mess up your Wii that way =D )
5. Run Dop-IOS MOD and reload IOS36 at the beginning. Navigate to the "System Menu"-Menu and select the desired region, set version to 4.2 (please don't fool around here, especially if you don't know much about the wii) and let it do it's magic.
Optional: Changing the Shop's country.
Before you change the region of the wii, you should go to the shop and delete it's account in the options menu. Now, I don't know japanese, so you'll just have to press buttons and find the settings menu. it should be the last option at that menu though. after you've done have, change the country code for the shop with ARC (country codes can be found at wiibrew's page for ARC) and then reinstall the Shop Channel with Dop-IOS MOD for your region. Magic.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.
Original 1st post from me:
P.S. I know it wasn't covered in this Thread at all really, but from my reading (and experience from actually trying it with Bootmii/IOS just not working properly: possibly due to non-original GC-Controller... but not likely): It is not currently possible to restore a nand image unless Bootmii is installed in boot2. (I know... it sucks... but oh well)
So... First question: I have a 4.2U Wii. I originally had it as a 3.3U. I used the magic of homebrew and made it 4.1E. I then downgraded to 3.3E then converted back over to 3.3U then updated to 4.2U (with Waninkoko's "safe (as it gets in reference to 4.2)" updater).
Now I need (or rather really really want) the Wii to be European again. Is it even possible to change the region now with 4.2 seeing as downgrading isn't an option anymore?
Second Question: I made a backup of my nand when it was 4.1U. Would a restoration 1: be possible and 2: bring me back to 4.1?
Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. Anybody telling me I'm dumb for updating to 4.2 can in all respect suck it and I request that any Mods that see people flaming in that respect please just delete the messages.
P.P.S. I could also explain why I've been switching between EUR and USA, however no one really cares and I don't care to explain. Please just help me and provide me with any information I might not have knowledge about.
Region Change of 4.2J to 4.2U
I have a similar question.
I have a Japanese Wii, and because I can't read any Japanese I managed to click 'yes' when it asked me to upgrade to 4.2.
So, here I am with a 4.2J Wii. Apart from the HBS I have no extra channels or cIOS installed. Worse, I have no NAND backup of anything.
In order to avoid upgrading my Wii by mistake in the future, is there any functional way to change my Wii's region to US or Europe?
Here I found a post that seems to indicate that it's possible but I don't feel very sure
-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --
Thanks a lot