Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Black screen when loading all homebrew ("simplistic mod", worked before)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unhappy Black screen when loading all homebrew ("simplistic mod", worked before)

    Hi all,

    I followed all the steps to mod my newly purchased Wii by updating to the 4.2 firmware and modifying the firmware using this guide:

    Modify any Wii 4.2 & below - GBAtemp.net

    I finished modding, it was working great, I was running a bunch of homebrew. But then I'm not sure what happened. After I tried installing USBLoader_GX and ran it, I got a black screen. I am now unable to run any homebrew.

    I can load The Homebrew Channel and it shows all of the apps on my SD card, but when I try to load an app, a status bar flashes briefly on the screen and then it goes black. The remote loses connection, and the only way to get back to the system is by doing a hard reset.

    I have tried formatting my SD card multiple times (with both FAT and FAT32) and copying my apps back, but I'm still getting the black screen. I cannot boot directly from the SD card either, I get the black screen with that too. I can't run any homebrew apps except for BootMii.

    In BootMii, the SysMenu info says "4.2U boot1? boot2v4" and the NAND FS usage is 61.8%. This is a brand new unit I am modding, I had to install BootMii as IOS. If I press home while in the Homebrew Channel the numbers at the top are 1.0.6 and below that IOS 61 v21.29.

    Anyone know what the problem could be? I'm thinking it could be a bad SD card, in which case I was going to return it to Best Buy. But maybe it is a software issue I can fix... Should I try restoring the NAND backup I made?

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I exchanged my SD card for a new one, but am still getting the black screen when trying to load homebrew. The last option I can think of is to restore my NAND from the backup, however since my BootMii is installed as IOS, I am getting the following message when I select the option:

    "BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it"

    I can still go ahead and do this by pressing 4 buttons at once, but I am really hesitant to. Can anyone think of any other options before I try this?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, since BootMii is installed as IOS, I need a GameCube controller to continue with the NAND restore. This is bullshit, I had to buy one off eBay to even attempt this. Was this really necessary, BootMii coders? I mean, thanks for the great app and all, but Jesus.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Similar issue

    I picked up another Wii last week to hack for my little sister to give to her for Christmas (LU65 running 3.8?) did the " New 3.1-4.1 Softmod for ANY Wii " including going to 4.1U and cIOScorp 3.5. Everything was working fine until I did an Homebrew Channel update (1.0.6?) then the dang thing turned upside down. I found this post - " Tutorial:How to Run HackMii Installer with cIOSCorp Installed " As soon as I installed the IOS36-64-v1042.wad (Step 1 from the above tutorial) all homebrew stopped working. If I try to run hackmii/bannerbomb I get a black screen. The Homebrew Channel is still there but if I try to run any homebrew I get a black screen. Priloader and bootmii work, but can't run any of the WAD managers as they just open to a black screen. Here's what works/don't for me:
    Don't work - goes to a black screen
    hackmii/bannerbomb
    game backups
    any homebrew

    What does works
    Retail games
    Homebrew Channel (upsidedown, though)
    Priiloader
    Bootmii

    Any help would be most appreciated!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedBoB View Post
    I picked up another Wii last week to hack for my little sister to give to her for Christmas (LU65 running 3.8?) did the " New 3.1-4.1 Softmod for ANY Wii " including going to 4.1U and cIOScorp 3.5. Everything was working fine until I did an Homebrew Channel update (1.0.6?) then the dang thing turned upside down. I found this post - " Tutorial:How to Run HackMii Installer with cIOSCorp Installed " As soon as I installed the IOS36-64-v1042.wad (Step 1 from the above tutorial) all homebrew stopped working. If I try to run hackmii/bannerbomb I get a black screen. The Homebrew Channel is still there but if I try to run any homebrew I get a black screen. Priloader and bootmii work, but can't run any of the WAD managers as they just open to a black screen. Here's what works/don't for me:
    Don't work - goes to a black screen
    hackmii/bannerbomb
    game backups
    any homebrew

    What does works
    Retail games
    Homebrew Channel (upsidedown, though)
    Priiloader
    Bootmii

    Any help would be most appreciated!
    This is exactly my situation. In fact, now that you mention it, I also installed IOS36-64-v1042.wad which was supposedly required for USBLoaderGX, and that is when I started having the same problems! If you figure out a way to solve this, please post in this thread!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Will do! I've been working on this all weekend with no luck, though. I might just return the Wii if I can't figure it out (since I only purchased it last week.) I'd rather fix it and not risk getting a new Wii that might not play backups from DVD-R. The older the Wii the better!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedBoB View Post
    Will do! I've been working on this all weekend with no luck, though. I might just return the Wii if I can't figure it out (since I only purchased it last week.) I'd rather fix it and not risk getting a new Wii that might not play backups from DVD-R. The older the Wii the better!
    Did you backup your NAND to SD card with BootMii before modding your cIOS? If so, you might want to try restoring the NAND from the SD card in BootMii. If you installed BootMii on the IOS though (like me) you will need a GameCube controller to get it to bypass the warnings and restore the NAND.

    I bought my Wii on Saturday, and if this doesn't work I'm going to try to exchange it too. BTW, is there a way to tell if mine will play DVD-R backups? (I doubt it will since I just bought it new from Best Buy)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi, I just got the same situation as you two. My wii was bought 3 days ago (LU 76 4.1u). The HBC apps work great before I tried to install USB-loader-GX. Right after I installed IOS36-64-v1042.wad , all homebrew stopped working and gave black screen if I try to load them. I cann't even start the hackmii installer directly from SD card. Anything we can do about it beside returning the wii?? Any help is appreciated!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntipop View Post
    Did you backup your NAND to SD card with BootMii before modding your cIOS? If so, you might want to try restoring the NAND from the SD card in BootMii. If you installed BootMii on the IOS though (like me) you will need a GameCube controller to get it to bypass the warnings and restore the NAND.

    I bought my Wii on Saturday, and if this doesn't work I'm going to try to exchange it too. BTW, is there a way to tell if mine will play DVD-R backups? (I doubt it will since I just bought it new from Best Buy)

    I had to install BootMii on the IOS like you (any one with a newish Wii will hafta do this) but it's currently not recommended to restore NAND if you have this setup as it could brick your Wii even worse. Yeah, I hafta use a GC controller when navigating in bootmii like youse.

    I found this info elsewhere on Wiihacks, but not sure where:
    "2009 Wii Serial numbers after LU3884XXXX and LEH2676XXXX have probably got the new D3-2 chip that prevents playing backup DVD's"

    Just have it in my notes.
    Last edited by NakedBoB; 11-29-2009 at 07:07 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedBoB View Post
    I had to install BootMii on the IOS like you (any one with a newish Wii will hafta do this) but it's currently not recommended to restore NAND if you have this setup as it could brick your Wii even worse. Yeah, I hafta use a GC controller when navigating in bootmii like youse.

    I found this info elsewhere on Wiihacks, but not sure where:
    "2009 Wii Serial numbers after LU3884XXXX and LEH2676XXXX have probably got the new D3-2 chip that prevents playing backup DVD's"

    Just have it in my notes.
    Well, restoring NAND is really the only option I have left to try. If I do nothing it's not going to fix itself and there doesn't seem to be any hope for this situation forthcoming. If I restore the NAND and it gets bricked worse, oh well... I was going to return it anyway.

    The only thing about returning it that I'm not sure of is... do they hook it up to a TV and see if it's really not working? In that case, it would appear to be functional and also there is The Homebrew Channel which is evidence that it is modded. Is there any way to get rid of THC if I decided to return it?

    Thanks for the info about serial numbers. Mine starts LU7154 so it definitely won't play backups.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •