Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: LU39 vs LU72

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    LU39 vs LU72

    For the pros out there..as I'm a newbie.....
    just wondering which one would be easier to softmod. LU39 or a LU72??
    I've got 2 units, but rather start on the easier one. OR is there no difference?
    cheers.

  2. #2
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by harry247 View Post
    For the pros out there..as I'm a newbie.....
    just wondering which one would be easier to softmod. LU39 or a LU72??
    I've got 2 units, but rather start on the easier one. OR is there no difference?
    cheers.
    You need to check the exact serial number, some LU39 and some Lu7 have D3-2.

    Search here, Wii Drive Chip Database

    Both are as easy to softmod, but the D3-2 chip prevents running backup DVD's, but you can use usb loaders.

  3. 1 User Says Thank You WiiJohn For This Useful Post


  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiJohn View Post
    You need to check the exact serial number, some LU39 and some Lu7 have D3-2.
    Search here, Wii Drive Chip Database
    Both are as easy to softmod, but the D3-2 chip prevents running backup DVD's, but you can use usb loaders.
    LU72918 produces
    Your drive most likely has the following chipset:
    * There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip.
    * And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is Combined GC2-D3 with no drive chip.
    * Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).

    LU39791 produces
    Your drive most likely has the following chipset:
    * There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip.
    * And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is .

    I'm new at this..so what's the difference between D2C(v1) and D3-2 and D3-2(v2)???
    Odds are that it's a GC2-D3-2 (v2) so should I go with the LU72918 even though it's a newer unit as it could potentially be a D2C (v1)??

    cheers.

  5. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just bought a Wii at Meijer on Black Friday. I too have the LU72. I'm thinking about hunting around town to see who sells a Wii with a model number that doesn't have the D3-2 issue. Then buy that 2nd Wii and return the 1st Meijer Wii back to the 2nd store.

    Cheers!

    Fulcrum

  6. #5
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by harry247 View Post
    LU72918 produces
    Your drive most likely has the following chipset:
    * There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip.
    * And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is Combined GC2-D3 with no drive chip.
    * Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).

    LU39791 produces
    Your drive most likely has the following chipset:
    * There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip.
    * And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is .

    I'm new at this..so what's the difference between D2C(v1) and D3-2 and D3-2(v2)???
    Odds are that it's a GC2-D3-2 (v2) so should I go with the LU72918 even though it's a newer unit as it could potentially be a D2C (v1)??

    cheers.
    I don't know the actual detail difference between them, but its just the ones with D3-2 cannot play backup DVD-R's. This may not be a problem for some, as obviously they will read original, and USB HDD.
    Personally I never use backup DVD's, but I can see it is limiting.

  7. 1 User Says Thank You WiiJohn For This Useful Post


  8. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you go to the Wii Drive Chip Database, Wii Drive Chip Database, and click on the "Serial Number" column and look at the entries you will notice that the pattern of chips types / colors repeats 3 times. I assume this happens because more than one manufacturing plant makes the Wii for Nintendo.

    This is what I see (the patterns are not perfect, but good enough):

    Set #1 (Manufacturing Plant #1):
    LU####:
    70?? - ????: D3-2
    6675 - 6434: D3
    6419 - 5958: D2E
    5952 - 5944: D2C2
    5943 - 5878: D2E
    5877 - 5818: D2C2
    5818 - 5653: D2C / D2C2
    5652 - 5241: D2C
    5232 - 5098: D2B
    5097 - 5046: DMS
    5036 - 5000: D2A

    Set #2 (Manufacturing Plant #2):
    LU####:
    4003 - 3882: D3-2
    3860 - 3519: D2E
    3518 - 3428: D2C2
    3420 - 3188: D2C
    3186 - 3082: D2B
    3073 - 3001: DMS

    Set #3 (Manufacturing Plant #3):
    LU####:
    1159 - 1116: D3-2
    I did not map past this point

    Unfortunately I bought a LU72 from Meijer as a Christmas gift for my kids on Black Friday. As a result the box is still unopened. So I've been reviewing the list to see what serial numbers are good, and possible locations where to buy a good older unit. I of course would then return the original Wii box to the store. A week ago I found LU39 at walmart. At first I thought I had scored, but I double checked the list, and it too has the D3-2 chip. I have now checked several stores to see who has what, and I have about given up. I think the best stores to go to that could have a Wii with an older serial number would be those stores that you or other people would not normally choose to purchase one from... Radio Shack?

    Cheers!

    Fulcrum

    (Make your own HD Video Projector: www.lumenlab.com)
    (Modify your kids Power Wheels: www.modifiedpowerwheels.com)
    Last edited by fulcrum; 12-13-2009 at 10:43 PM.

  9. #7
    New Member HEROXOOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    475
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Its getting to the point I think places like gamestop or ebgames got called up and had their wii recalled for the chip. It seems like you cannot get a wii that plays dvds anymore. It bites. You would think nintendo would have made wii read dvds on its own time, like ps2 did.

  10. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I finally found an easy chart that shows what chips can read DVD-R back-ups and those that don't. Now it is crystal clear to me.

    WODE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Wii Chips DVD-R Back-up Read.jpg



    I imagine, that other future mods might include a seperate DVD Reader that will allow backed-up DVD-R to be read.
    Last edited by fulcrum; 12-12-2009 at 07:30 AM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
    I finally found an easy chart that shows what chips can read DVD-R back-ups and those that don't. Now it is crystal clear to me.

    WODE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Wii Chips DVD-R Back-up Read.jpg


    I imagine, that other future mods might include a seperate DVD Reader that will allow backed-up DVD-R to be read.

    This chart only relates to the Wode. You would have to check a particilar modchip supplier to what they can cope with.

  12. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The middle column shows the possiblity of modification, without naming the mod that does it. It is the middle column that is the most important to me.

    However, in my quest to figure out the different mods out there, I came across this site that also provided a comparison chart for several different mods. The WODE isn't mentioned though.

    Compare Wii ModCips : Nintendo Wii [MOD]

    Wii Chip Comparison Chart - 3.jpg

    If anyone knows of a website that has a better chart (I'm sure there has to be), please post the link.

    Cheers!

    Fulcrum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •