Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Stay with v3.2U or update to v4.1U

  1. #1
    New Member ctantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Stay with v3.2U or update to v4.1U

    Now I'm running cIOS38Rev14, Neogamma R6, and SystemMenu v3.2U. I'm planning to install USB Loader GX too. Is it better to stay with v3.2U or update to v4.1U. What are the advantages and disadvantages with softmod I've done.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by ctantra; 07-29-2009 at 07:02 PM.

  2. #2
    New Member Cressida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctantra View Post
    Now I'm running cIOS38Rev14, Neogamma R6, and SystemMenu v3.2U. I'm planning to install USB Loader GX too. Is it better to stay with v3.2U or update to v4.1U. What are the advantages and disadvantages with softmod I've done.

    Thanks.
    It is personal preference, but there are still many people that believe 3.2 is better version because it was before Nintendo stated patching Truncha.

    If it aint broke don't try and fix it, and risk any possibility of Bricking.

    I have 3.2E with R14, Preloader 0.29, Bootmii as IOS (Sob), Running channels, GB B/U, 03 B/U, GX Loader/ Forwarder 1.0 Latest, Every thing I have tried works so far.
    GOOD MEN SLEEP SOUNDLY
    AT NIGHT,
    KNOWING THAT ROUGH MEN
    STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF IF THEY DON'T INSTALL IOS 38, 53, 55.

    Press at the bottom right of the post if this response was of any assistance.

  3. 1 User Says Thank You Cressida For This Useful Post


  4. #3
    New Member ctantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks for your quick reply.

    Still want to know the disadvantages and advantages though.

  5. #4
    New Member Cressida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctantra View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply.

    Still want to know the disadvantages and advantages though.
    Everyone will have their opinion, but 3.2 is considered to still be the most compatable, and a lot of serious Softmodders would not use anything else, until the later versions have more exposure.

    The exception is LU64/65 which can only be taken down as far as 3.4 without bricking.

    Search and make your own decision.
    GOOD MEN SLEEP SOUNDLY
    AT NIGHT,
    KNOWING THAT ROUGH MEN
    STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF IF THEY DON'T INSTALL IOS 38, 53, 55.

    Press at the bottom right of the post if this response was of any assistance.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would also like to understand if there is a difference in functionality.

    Some of the posts in other threads seemed to imply that only the new system menu 4.0 lets you run VC wads straight from the SD card instead of having to install them (mount them?) to the system menu.

    I would be the first to admit I have no clue.

    Through a whole lot of searching on five sites and some trial and error I was able to install the HBC, get the necessary CIOS and IOS wads, and then update system menu to 3.2U without using the updaters that require internet access to the Wii.

    But now the question is whether it makes sense to update to 4.0 with a chipped Wii, or stand pat with 3.2?

    Potentially revelant information:

    I do have BootMii installed but no Preloader, I have to admit that I have seen enough Preloader or BootMii threads to not know if Preloader brings anything extra to the table - but I did gather from the threads that they can both be on the same machine.

    So is there any rational reason to update to 4.0? Does it make it easier to play or use items directly on the SD cards without "installing" them? Or do I have no clue what I am doing and should just chalk much of the success to this point to blind luck?

    The big on the fence for right now is whether I need to update 4.0+ or stand pat with 3.2.

    Thoughts?

  7. #6
    New Member Cressida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TWiSM View Post
    I would also like to understand if there is a difference in functionality.

    Some of the posts in other threads seemed to imply that only the new system menu 4.0 lets you run VC wads straight from the SD card instead of having to install them (mount them?) to the system menu.

    I would be the first to admit I have no clue.

    Through a whole lot of searching on five sites and some trial and error I was able to install the HBC, get the necessary CIOS and IOS wads, and then update system menu to 3.2U without using the updaters that require internet access to the Wii.

    But now the question is whether it makes sense to update to 4.0 with a chipped Wii, or stand pat with 3.2?

    Potentially revelant information:

    I do have BootMii installed but no Preloader, I have to admit that I have seen enough Preloader or BootMii threads to not know if Preloader brings anything extra to the table - but I did gather from the threads that they can both be on the same machine.

    So is there any rational reason to update to 4.0? Does it make it easier to play or use items directly on the SD cards without "installing" them? Or do I have no clue what I am doing and should just chalk much of the success to this point to blind luck?

    The big on the fence for right now is whether I need to update 4.0+ or stand pat with 3.2.

    Thoughts?
    If you have Bootmii installed as CIOS, you need preloader to get to HB channel if you lose menu.

    If you have read many of the tutes, they are written by Dogeggs, he still favours 3.2, the next revision should give the SD menu Like in 4.0.

    It really depends on how much you want to play with HB.

    It is better that you research and make your own decision.
    GOOD MEN SLEEP SOUNDLY
    AT NIGHT,
    KNOWING THAT ROUGH MEN
    STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF IF THEY DON'T INSTALL IOS 38, 53, 55.

    Press at the bottom right of the post if this response was of any assistance.

  8. 1 User Says Thank You Cressida For This Useful Post


  9. #7
    Senior Member WiiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,953
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    I agree with Cressida, if it aint broke don't fix it. I have 3.2E with R14, Preloader 0.29. Unless there is a good reason, none so far, I'm sticking with as is. Dogeggs rules for me.

  10. 1 User Says Thank You WiiJohn For This Useful Post


  11. #8
    Banned Banned Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,826
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 221 Times in 193 Posts
    the only reason id upgrade would be for the sd loding, but i barely ever play WW/VC games anyway. stick with 3.2. basically everything works on it.

    i mean, eventually it will get so old that we will have to update but i agreee with wiijohn. "if it aint broke don't fix it" great quote.

  12. 1 User Says Thank You Banned Guy For This Useful Post


  13. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks.

    That saves me a great deal of frustration I am sure.

    Since there should be no issue with whether or not newer games run on it, I am going to stand fast with 3.2.

    I appreciate the help and assistance.

    One week ago CIOS and IOSs were a total mystery, and I did not even know where to start. All I knew is that certain games were not working.

    While I still just have barely gotten my feet wet - My Wii is playing everything, HBC is installed, VC games are working, and I might even be able to get games running off an external drive once it comes in the mail.

    I appreciate that so many of you are so great in helping others fix their problems, and patient with a lot of us that are a little apprehensive about what to do when we have seen so many stories of people bricking their consoles.

    Thanks again, you guys rock.

  14. #10
    New Member Cressida's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThetaSigma View Post
    the only reason id upgrade would be for the sd loding, but i barely ever play WW/VC games anyway. stick with 3.2. basically everything works on it.

    i mean, eventually it will get so old that we will have to update but i agreee with wiijohn. "if it aint broke don't fix it" great quote.
    Why thank you Theta.
    GOOD MEN SLEEP SOUNDLY
    AT NIGHT,
    KNOWING THAT ROUGH MEN
    STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF IF THEY DON'T INSTALL IOS 38, 53, 55.

    Press at the bottom right of the post if this response was of any assistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •