Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Brickproof

  1. #1
    New Member BigCol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Brickproof

    I havent been on the wii scene for very long but I have managed to softmod my wii, unbrick a semi bricked wii. Is it possible to make a wii brick proof?? I am on 3.2 firmware but is it safe to upgrade to 4.0 and not end up with a brick? I have installed preloader. What about bootmii and AnyRegionChanger?? Will these be of help?? Thanks in advance guys

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    From what I have been able to find out and install on my own wii. Bootmii is the safest way to go only if it is installed as boot2, and you have a back up of you nand. This way it will boot before anything else and will give you the option to reinstall you corrupted nand if something happened. Just run the hackmii installer and it will tell you if bootmii can be installed as boot2. It may come up as and IOS install, in this case you already have the second most protection preloader.

  3. #3
    New Member BigCol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phonic1469 View Post
    From what I have been able to find out and install on my own wii. Bootmii is the safest way to go only if it is installed as boot2, and you have a back up of you nand. This way it will boot before anything else and will give you the option to reinstall you corrupted nand if something happened. Just run the hackmii installer and it will tell you if bootmii can be installed as boot2. It may come up as and IOS install, in this case you already have the second most protection preloader.
    Ive installed bootii aswell as preloader but the only way I could install bootmii was from the preloader menu install/loadmfile option. When I go into the bootmii menu, how do you scroll through the options? My wiimote doesnt seem to work. Can anyone help me with this?? Also, how do you back up your nand???? Thanks in advancde guys

  4. #4
    Junior Member Jasons34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 455 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    The easiest way to run through bootmii is using the gamecube controller. If you dont have a gamecube controller, the other way is to use the eject button on your console, though I never used it and heard its a pain. Simply just use your gamecube controller. Make sure you you have all your bootmii files on a seperate sd card than your HBC stuff. I say this (and so do many other people) because as long as that bootmii files sdcard is in your wii, it will always boot to bootmii. What I did was get a Sandisk 2 GB sd card, put the installation files on that card, popped that card in and installed bootmii, then backed up all my nand files onto that card. I have that card put away and if I ever brick my wii, simply pop that card in and your good to go. If you have a wii that was bought before november of last year, you want to install as boot2. If you have bought it after november of last year, you need to install as IOS. I have heard there are some problems with the IOS way. I have mine installed as boot2 and it installed perfectly fine. To back up your nand files, you need to go to the settings icon that look like gears. Inside that go to the option that shows the arrow pointing away from the chip. That will save your nand onto your sd card. Now if you ever brick your wii, you go back into the gears setting and then click on the option of the arrow pointing to the chip. Simple as that.

  5. #5
    New Member BigCol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
    The easiest way to run through bootmii is using the gamecube controller. If you dont have a gamecube controller, the other way is to use the eject button on your console, though I never used it and heard its a pain. Simply just use your gamecube controller. Make sure you you have all your bootmii files on a seperate sd card than your HBC stuff. I say this (and so do many other people) because as long as that bootmii files sdcard is in your wii, it will always boot to bootmii. What I did was get a Sandisk 2 GB sd card, put the installation files on that card, popped that card in and installed bootmii, then backed up all my nand files onto that card. I have that card put away and if I ever brick my wii, simply pop that card in and your good to go. If you have a wii that was bought before november of last year, you want to install as boot2. If you have bought it after november of last year, you need to install as IOS. I have heard there are some problems with the IOS way. I have mine installed as boot2 and it installed perfectly fine. To back up your nand files, you need to go to the settings icon that look like gears. Inside that go to the option that shows the arrow pointing away from the chip. That will save your nand onto your sd card. Now if you ever brick your wii, you go back into the gears setting and then click on the option of the arrow pointing to the chip. Simple as that.
    When I installed the bootmii through the preloader, I did see the option to install as boot2. I can redo everything and start again. When you say put the bootmii installation files on a seperate sd card, what do you mean exactly? The hackmii installer? Is that what you mean? And its ok to back my nand up on the same card as the bootmii files?? Im just really coming to terms with the wii and as you have probably guessed by now, Im noob of the highest order. BTW, I have a nand dumper on my homebrew channel, what is this used for??? Thanks once again

  6. #6
    New Member BigCol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    When I installed the bootmii through the preloader, I did see the option to install as boot2. I can redo everything and start again. When you say put the bootmii installation files on a seperate sd card, what do you mean exactly? The hackmii installer? Is that what you mean? And its ok to back my nand up on the same card as the bootmii files?? Im just really coming to terms with the wii and as you have probably guessed by now, Im noob of the highest order. BTW, I have a nand dumper on my homebrew channel, what is this used for??? Thanks once again
    Any help on this would be appreciated!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •