Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Rescued Wii Problem - Black Screen when loading a game - No DVD Drive is in the Wii

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Rescued Wii Problem - Black Screen when loading a game - No DVD Drive is in the Wii

    Hello everyone,

    I found a wii on the side of the street that looked a little bashed up, probably been sitting out for 2 - 3 days. I thought i could fix it, so i picked it up (the person also threw out all possible accessories including a controller and all the cables)
    I got home, cracked it open and found a mess inside.

    I took out everything and was left with just the motherboard. I noticed a few inductors were falling off and some were lost. I bought what was needed and soldered everything back on.
    I noticed the DVD drive was destroyed and had no chance of actually reading a disc (I threw it out). The Wifi module was also damaged and was not working; however i bought a 5$ USB-Ethernet adapter (init brand) and internet is working fine.

    The Wii now is just the motherboard with all the cables attached. (i also kept the Fan at the back)

    THE WII BOOTED NORMALLY!!!. DD


    I moved on to the next step which was to softmod my wii since i have no DVD drive to read any discs.

    Wii 4.3U

    I followed a Youtube tutorial and got HBC on my home screen. (Letterbomb)
    I installed all the attached WADS that were included in the tutorial and everything worked fine.

    I then borrowed a HDD full of games from a friend that was using it as his primary Wii HDD.

    I tried loading the HDD with Gx loader, Wiiflow, USB loader.
    All worked fine.

    My games loaded and i can browse through them; however this is where my problem begins.

    As soon as i try to launch a backup the screen turns black (sometimes the wiimote shuts off) and after about 1-2 min i get an error saying "Error, please eject disc and power off your Wii..."


    I looked everywhere for a solution. Nothing will work. I tried about 5 different tutorials all have not been able to boot up the game past the Loader stage.


    I am wondering if it has anything to do with the DVD drive NOT being present. If it is would there be any solution to this without having to buy a new DVD drive?

    Thanks

    ***UPDATE: I tried both NTFS and FAT32 HDD as well, same problem.
    Last edited by matei24; 07-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matei24
    Hello everyone,

    I found a wii on the side of the street that looked a little bashed up, probably been sitting out for 2 - 3 days. I thought i could fix it, so i picked it up (the person also threw out all possible accessories including a controller and all the cables)
    I got home, cracked it open and found a mess inside.

    I took out everything and was left with just the motherboard. I noticed a few inductors were falling off and some were lost. I bought what was needed and soldered everything back on.
    I noticed the DVD drive was destroyed and had no chance of actually reading a disc (I threw it out). The Wifi module was also damaged and was not working; however i bought a 5$ USB-Ethernet adapter (init brand) and internet is working fine.

    The Wii now is just the motherboard with all the cables attached. (i also kept the Fan at the back)

    THE WII BOOTED NORMALLY!!!. DD

    I moved on to the next step which was to softmod my wii since i have no DVD drive to read any discs.

    Wii 4.3U

    I followed a Youtube tutorial and got HBC on my home screen. (Letterbomb)
    I installed all the attached WADS that were included in the tutorial and everything worked fine.

    I then borrowed a HDD full of games from a friend that was using it as his primary Wii HDD.

    I tried loading the HDD with Gx loader, Wiiflow, USB loader.
    All worked fine.

    My games loaded and i can browse through them; however this is where my problem begins.

    As soon as i try to launch a backup the screen turns black (sometimes the wiimote shuts off) and after about 1-2 min i get an error saying "Error, please eject disc and power off your Wii..."

    I looked everywhere for a solution. Nothing will work. I tried about 5 different tutorials all have not been able to boot up the game past the Loader stage.

    I am wondering if it has anything to do with the DVD drive NOT being present. If it is would there be any solution to this without having to buy a new DVD drive?

    Thanks
    I have the same problem,except my wii is fine. Every time I launch a game from gecko os it does the same exact thing, so I need help to but help matei24 first though

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Really... no one knows anything about this...
    How about if i ask the question like this.

    Does the wii do a firmware check on the DVD drive before it loads the games from the HDD? Does it trick the wii into thinking its reading a Game?

    Thanks

    PS: I have done everything properly it still cannot load games.

  4. #4
    Jax
    Jax is offline
    Senior Member
    Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Schenectady,NY
    Posts
    3,664
    Thanks
    3,219
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matei24 View Post
    Really... no one knows anything about this...
    How about if i ask the question like this.

    Does the wii do a firmware check on the DVD drive before it loads the games from the HDD? Does it trick the wii into thinking its reading a Game?

    Thanks

    PS: I have done everything properly it still cannot load games.
    You will need a Wii Drive for the Usb Loaders to work.
    The drive doesn't need to work completely , but does need to be able to, Show the game on the wii disc channel.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    You will need a Wii Drive for the Usb Loaders to work.
    The drive doesn't need to work completely , but does need to be able to, Show the game on the wii disc channel.
    I found a local shop that sells just the DVD drive motherboard.
    Would that suffice?

    They don't sell the actual drive and i cant find any broken wiis for sale.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Spoiler




    I have bought a DVD drive and im still having the same problem.

    Note: I did add the DVD drive after the softmod took place. While i was soft modding the wii had no DVD drive inside. Does the softmodding and upgrading the IOS do anything to the drive?
    Last edited by Jax; 07-30-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added Spoiler...

  7. #7
    Jax
    Jax is offline
    Senior Member
    Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Schenectady,NY
    Posts
    3,664
    Thanks
    3,219
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Have you Tested it to see if it can play/Read the games from the Disc Drive?
    Your system check is fine.
    Soft modding your wii won't do damage to it.(Disc Drive etc.)
    Last edited by Jax; 07-30-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added More.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What i meant was, does it do any changes to the drive firmware while modding.

    I am wondering if the setting in the usb loader might be wrong. I have a fat32 partition and trying to load New Super Mario Bros.

  9. #9
    Jax
    Jax is offline
    Senior Member
    Retired WiiHacks Staff
    Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Schenectady,NY
    Posts
    3,664
    Thanks
    3,219
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,114 Posts
    No.
    Super mario should load up with no problem's at all.
    Look Here for options on Certain GamesUltimate List Of Problematic Games

    Try a Disc to make sure your DD is working.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    the dd does not work to read discs. if i insert a disc inside i get an error to eject the disc and power off the wii. I used to have no drive inside now i bought a broken one that does the job of letting the system know there is a dd. It works to eject and does the noise when booting up the wii, it just wont read any discs. I believe there might be a problem with the laser.

    What does the drive have to do anything with loading from a USB. Just wondering... how can that cause so many problems... Im still thinking its from the loader or perhaps an error in the ios installation (however you said my syscheck was fine)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •