A homebrew port of MAME, the popular arcade emulator, to the Nintendo Wii console.
Source and Downlaod - sdl mame wii v0.5 - Downloads - sdl-mame-wii - Project Hosting on Google Code
WiiBrew - SDL MAME Wii - WiiBrew
Quote the readme
This is a port of MAME for the Wii. Unlike the previous SDL MAME for the Wii,
this is not based on Wii Linux. Please note that although many games work well
with the emulator, others may not work at all.
* Lots of ROMs are supported, but not all of them. If you don't see the ROM in the list in the emulator, then support for that ROM isn't included. This is to keep the size of the emulator low enough to run effectively on the Wii. A list of all the ones that are can be found here: http://www.toadking.com/wiimame-0.4.txt
* Just because a ROM is supported does not mean it will run. Even games for early boards like CPS-1 can fail to run due to RAM limitations. If the emulator suddenly kicks you out to the Homebrew Channel, look in the MAME folder (sd:/mame/) for a file called errors.txt. If it says something about failing to allocate space, then odds are the ROM can't run on the Wii. The emulator might also crash outright and leave you with a code dump if RAM runs out.
* Because the Wii is not a strong console, some games will be slow. Frameskipping is enabled by default to make games playable.
* The joystick on GameCube controllers can't be used.
* The default controller mapping is unsuitable for lightgun games, but there is currently no way to make seperate mappings for lightgun and non-lightgun games. If you wish to change the configuration for lightgun games, replace the default.cfg file in mame/cfg with the default-lg.cfg file included.
* On older TVs, the edges of the screen can be cut off. To fix this, in mame.ini, look for the option "safe area" and set the value to something around 0.8 and 0.95. It will vary depending on your TV.
0.5 - March 26, 2010
* Downgraded to MAME 0.134u4 due to issues with some ROMs not working
* SDL no longer used for video; FPS is increased
* WiiMote Sensor support more stable
* Fixed default font being too small; the custom font has been removed
0.4 - November 24, 2009
* Upgraded MAME to 0.135
* Added WiiMote Sensor support
* Stereo support fixed
* Game list now shows up to 150 ROMs instead of just 15
* Changed USB/SD detection (Tries USB first, then falls back to SD)
0.3.1 - November 3, 2009
* Upgraded libfat to 1.0.6, hopefully this fixes the SD card corruption bug
* Added USB support (Start SDL MAME Wii from a USB drive to enable it)
* Fixed "Unexpected option gl_lib queried" error log
* Fixed Nunchuck control mapping
* Switched Buttons 1 and 2 around (by public demand)
* Fixed support for some games (including Donkey Kong and Frogger)
* Moved errors.txt and ui.bdf files into /mame/
0.3 - October 29, 2009
* Added support for many more ROMs
* Fatal errors are now logged in errors.txt
* More default control changes
0.2 - October 27, 2009
* Fixed rom selection bug
* Changes to the layout of the configuration files to make it more like other Wii homebrew
All content found at WiiBrew
How well does this work because I've never tried it and its good to see some progress being made.
I think I want to try this. I checked the list of compatible games, there's alot of my arcade favorites from the '80's. I will probably give it a go this weekend.
This is interesting, I've had mame on my pc for a few years so I have the roms. I think I'll also have to give it a try. Maybe only first with a few on SD then if everything goes ok adding it to my usb.
Be nice when they get this perfected. I never even messed with it because I heard it was still full of bugs and had load times of up to 5 minutes.
I got me some roms and decided to give it a try. But for some reason I got a message about renaming the roms, and I gave it a quick look over but just couldn't figure it out. Perhaps a little more time invested and things may work out.
gave it a try before (then rating it 2 stars >.<), just fired up this latest build and I'm just happy it runs The Simpsons arcade game nicely. I think I'll just use emu for the old Konami beat 'em-ups. Thanks for the share. Fairly easy to setup, too.