Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can you please help a new user with a drivekey2, very appreciated!

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Can you please help a new user with a drivekey2, very appreciated!

    Hello everyone

    Please go easy on me if I am asking redundant questions. I am just a mom who is attempting to mod a Wii for our children. I ordered this product "
    DriveKey v2.0 NSMB (New Mario bros) Fixed" online and it should be here in a few days. I have some game "backups" made already. They have been burned with Verbatim DVD-R on 3X speed as recommended. I have a few questions as I am totally new to modding. I have done some reading and researching but I want to be sure I am doing things right. Here are my concerns:

    1. I have menu 4.3 installed on the Wii. Can I expect any problems with this? I am only using games that are in my region.

    2. If the Wii does any online updates, do I need to worry about this? Does the chip prevent such downloads. Is there a risk if I were to surf online or go to the Wii store?


    3. Does this chip need any updates after I install it. If so, how do I go about this?


    4. Are there any problem games I should know about that don't work with this drivekey? As newer games come out, will I need to update or change anything for them to work?


    5. Is there any other relevant information, or warnings I should know about. The last thing I want to do is brick my children's Wii. I am trying my best to give them some games within my technical abilities


    I very much appreciate your time to reply and help us out!



    Last edited by sweetnlow; 03-25-2011 at 10:44 AM.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetnlow
    Hello everyone

    Please go easy on me if I am asking redundant questions. I am just a mom who is attempting to mod a Wii for our children. I ordered this product " DriveKey v2.0 NSMB (New Mario bros) Fixed" online and it should be here in a few days. I have some game "backups" made already. They have been burned with Verbatim DVD-R on 3X speed as recommended. I have a few questions as I am totally new to modding. I have done some reading and researching but I want to be sure I am doing things right. Here are my concerns:

    1. I have menu 4.3 installed on the Wii. Can I expect any problems with this? I am only using games that are in my region.

    2. If the Wii does any online updates, do I need to worry about this? Does the chip prevent such downloads. Is there a risk if I were to surf online or go to the Wii store?

    3. Does this chip need any updates after I install it. If so, how do I go about this?

    4. Are there any problem games I should know about that don't work with this drivekey? As newer games come out, will I need to update or change anything for them to work?

    5. Is there any other relevant information, or warnings I should know about. The last thing I want to do is brick my children's Wii. I am trying my best to give them some games within my technical abilities

    I very much appreciate your time to reply and help us out!

    Did you ever get a reply to any of this? I just got a new drivekey in the mail, and will install this week. Never done anything like it and I had the same questions you did.

  3. #3
    New Member baierme2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    out for lunch be back in 5mins
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaSean

    Did you ever get a reply to any of this? I just got a new drivekey in the mail, and will install this week. Never done anything like it and I had the same questions you did.
    Use adkprog programmer for updates plus make sure you have your wii softmodded before the install

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    What version is your Wii? If you have the newest red/black Wii with the game that comes with it (either Mario Kart Wii or NSMB), you cannot use the Drivekey on it. That modchip is only working with any Wii version except the newest
    D3-2 drives and D4 drives that you probably have. If you want to install the DK, you have to change the PCB board and probably the DVD drive aswell before installing the DK. Any PCB board will work as long as it's not a D3-2/D4 drive. To check what version of Wii you have, there is a site where you can enter the Wii's serial number (starting with LU/LE) and it will give you the Wii model/version. If you bought the Wii after August/September 2009, there is a good change that you have one of those new Wii with the new boards.

    Also, the DK only reads Wii discs (only in backup format) at 3x instead of 6x, so some games will load slower (ex. Red Steel 2, DKCR, SSBB, etc.) and there is no audiostream for some GC games (backup only).

  5. 1 User Says Thank You Dancsi30 For This Useful Post


  6. #5
    New Member baierme2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    out for lunch be back in 5mins
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancsi30 View Post
    What version is your Wii? If you have the newest red/black Wii with the game that comes with it (either Mario Kart Wii or NSMB), you cannot use the Drivekey on it. That modchip is only working with any Wii version except the newest
    D3-2 drives and D4 drives that you probably have. If you want to install the DK, you have to change the PCB board and probably the DVD drive aswell before installing the DK. Any PCB board will work as long as it's not a D3-2/D4 drive. To check what version of Wii you have, there is a site where you can enter the Wii's serial number (starting with LU/LE) and it will give you the Wii model/version. If you bought the Wii after August/September 2009, there is a good change that you have one of those new Wii with the new boards.

    Also, the DK only reads Wii discs (only in backup format) at 3x instead of 6x, so some games will load slower (ex. Red Steel 2, DKCR, SSBB, etc.) and there is no audiostream for some GC games (backup only).

    your information is xorrect, but if you buy an old wii that is bricked off of ebay you can replace the drive in a color wii (red,black) best wiis to buy are white wiis i have bought about 11 wii's off of ebay any all had older drives plus you can replace the laser in the drive to a higher speed. the drivekey has nothing to due with the read speed. the drivekey just gives the ability to read the dvds .

  7. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You are right about the 1st part but not about the second. The Drivekey, Flatmod and Wasabi DX read all Wii backup discs at 3x because of the ribbon cable that those modchips use for the connection. I bought the Wasabi DX bundle with the V16 clip (to put the chip in Zero mode) 2 weeks ago and when I installed the chip with the ribbon cable (DX mode), the read speed was very slow, I saw the intro video and the game itself lagging (I had a Drivekey before (my gf use it now in her Wii) and the reading speed was slow aswell with some games.). After I upgraded the DX chip to 3.0, i used the clip (no more ribbon cable) and I was able to set the read speed to either 3x or 6x. I loaded DKCR and the reading speed was fast, 3-4 secs when a level loaded or when I choosed the inventory. Same goes with Red Stee 2, the movies/cutscenes and the game itself was way faster when the chip is in Zero mode (with the clip) instead with the ribbon cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by baierme2 View Post
    your information is xorrect, but if you buy an old wii that is bricked off of ebay you can replace the drive in a color wii (red,black) best wiis to buy are white wiis i have bought about 11 wii's off of ebay any all had older drives plus you can replace the laser in the drive to a higher speed. the drivekey has nothing to due with the read speed. the drivekey just gives the ability to read the dvds .

  8. 1 User Says Thank You Dancsi30 For This Useful Post


  9. #7
    New Member baierme2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    out for lunch be back in 5mins
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    zero mode is this in the setting?? or on the dkprog progammer? or chipset like region select? i wasnt able you play with the settings of the drivekey with the new update.
    Last edited by baierme2; 12-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.

  10. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The Drivekey doesn't have Zero mode, it is only available for the Wasabi DX modchip + V16 clip (or if you are lucky, you can buy the Wasabi Zero chip + V16 clip on the net). You insert the clip inside the modchip and you put the clip on the PCB's chipset (only works with Wii with the chipset on it, on newer boards, that chip is removed so you must use the ribbon cable. Or in the case of the epoxy drive, you can either remove the epoxy (at your own risks) or use the ribbon cable. Because the chip (Wasabi DX in this case) is connected directly to the chipset instead of the ribbon cable, the reading speed is faster. You can also solder the Wasabi DX chip with 5 or 6 wires. Either way, you will have the full 6x reading speed + audiostream in GC games. These 2 features are not available on the Drivekey/Flatmod or any other solderless chips that use a ribbon cable.

  11. 1 User Says Thank You Dancsi30 For This Useful Post


  12. #9
    New Member baierme2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    out for lunch be back in 5mins
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Good to know going to archive the information

  13. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    That's why I switched to the Wasabi DX chip + solderless clip, you can update it via DVD so you don't need to buy a USB DK programmer (like the one for Drivekey) for extra $$$. You buy the whole chip bundle + screwdrivers for 45$ + SH and that's it. Nothing else. My DVD drive is also quieter because the chip is connected directly to the clip instead of the ribbon cable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •