Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Trucha signed / scrubbed difference? How to tell?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Trucha signed / scrubbed difference? How to tell?

    I have a DriveKey installed and I have downloaded a few game backup ISOs. So far I have burnt:

    Mario Kart - FAIL
    Wii Winter Sports 2008 - FAIL
    Monster Trux Arenas - Works

    I use Verbatim DVD-Rs and never have problems burning stuff. I think this is because I am running Firmware 3.3E and I am encountering this blocked Trucha thing?

    1: What is a Trucha signed game?

    2: What is a scrubbed game?

    3: How can I tell if my ISO is scrubbed or trucha signed or an original? (all my ISOs appear large around 4.5gb which says to me they are more likely to be originals?)

    4: Where can I get an original ISO download? Do they even exist? Does such a thing exist as a Wii ISO backup that is NOT trucha signed?

    5: Is the only way to get such games to work to downgrade my firmware?

    6: If above is yes, then what implications are there to staying on 3.2? Does this not mean that I can't ever play any newer games that require say formware 4?

    7: As I am on firmware 3.3E, is downgrading only possible using the Twighlight Hack or can I use a Homebrew ISO image on a disc?


    I really really appreciate the help. I have searched but I just don;t find the answers and get even more confused, as a lot of threads/posts/guides assume you know all this trucha stuff, what a wad is, that you already have homebrew installed etc.

    Ta guys

  2. #2
    Junior Member Prarieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Ok I can answer a few of these.

    scrubbed games are compressed versions of the games. because all games have to be 4.3gb (somewere in there) and not all games are that big they fill in space to make them that big with useless information, scrubbing them is taking that info out. That is laymans terms, do some searching on here there are some really good threads explaining it properly. If your game is below 4.0 gb its likely scrubbed.


    The games that have not worked for you are they out of region games? What happens when you put them into the wii? What are your settings set to in your drivekey menu(especially your update setting)?

    When looking for ISOs if they are 4.2gb or bigger they are likely untouched, most times it will say on torrent sites if the torrent has been scrubbed, but size is the main hint.

    To get scrubbed games to work you will need to downgrade, or do softmods. I have not done either and there are not many titles that I can not find, just instead of downloading a 2 gb file I have to download a 4.5gb file.

    If you download to 3.2 firmware new games may not work until you go to a current firmware, as I said there hasn't been a game yet that I couldn't find a full iso of. Except Tiger Woods 10 and that only came out a couple days ago.

    Ok enough from me for now, post back if you have more questions.

  3. 1 User Says Thank You Prarieboy For This Useful Post


  4. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prarieboy View Post
    Ok I can answer a few of these.

    scrubbed games are compressed versions of the games. because all games have to be 4.3gb (somewere in there) and not all games are that big they fill in space to make them that big with useless information, scrubbing them is taking that info out. That is laymans terms, do some searching on here there are some really good threads explaining it properly. If your game is below 4.0 gb its likely scrubbed.


    The games that have not worked for you are they out of region games? What happens when you put them into the wii? What are your settings set to in your drivekey menu(especially your update setting)?

    When looking for ISOs if they are 4.2gb or bigger they are likely untouched, most times it will say on torrent sites if the torrent has been scrubbed, but size is the main hint.

    To get scrubbed games to work you will need to downgrade, or do softmods. I have not done either and there are not many titles that I can not find, just instead of downloading a 2 gb file I have to download a 4.5gb file.

    If you download to 3.2 firmware new games may not work until you go to a current firmware, as I said there hasn't been a game yet that I couldn't find a full iso of. Except Tiger Woods 10 and that only came out a couple days ago.

    Ok enough from me for now, post back if you have more questions.

    I can't thankyou enough for a welcoming/friendly and swift reply. I have tried other forums to be absolutely flamed and told to read the FAQ and noob guides. Well yeah I have been for the past month Anyway...

    Mario Kart:
    This is about 4.3gb ISO and I'm sure the torrent even said it was an original. I have my DriveKey options set to block updates on import, but the Mario download is a PAL iso, and my Wii is a PAL iso. The first time I loaded the game ever, it didn't appear as Mario but as a software update. I ran the update and during the update it just said something about the files are corrupt.
    I nearly stained my trousers as I thought I had a dodgey firmware update and it bricked it. but it didn't. I rebooted the Wii and from that point on, the game showed up in Wii Menu as Mario kart and when I clicked it it loads the first menu and the button to hit start. I hit start and then it comes up with the white "attach the wrist strap" screen, and then I hit "A" and I get a black screen saying there has been an error and to turn off the Wii.

    Wii Winter Sports 2008:
    Never worked. As soon as you put the disc in, it tries to load it and it doesnt even show in wii menu. It just gives a black screen saying there has been an error and to turn the Wii off and on.

    Monster Trux Arena:
    Very bizare this. This was the only disc that during IMG burn verify gave an error! I burnt at 16X speed as well like a noob, and then thought well this is very unlikely to work....put it in the Wii and hey presto no problems what so ever. Loads straight up. The only one that works.

    Now I'm confused completely, as it sounds like stuff should be working and it isn't. Is it possible I have a dodgey DriveKey, given that I am having issues with returning to the Wii Menu when I quit a game when Auto Boot feature is enabled? (see my other thread a few down).

    Thanks for the help again.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,692
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 396 Times in 369 Posts
    reburn ur MarioKart_pal with ImgBurn at 2X speed.

    Wii Winter Sprots 2008: similiar

    Monster Trux Arena: the key--> 16Xdisc be burnt at2X speed

  6. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What I'm saying is, I accidentally burnt the Monster Trux one at 16x speed and it worked. I agree that I should have used a slower speed, 4x or 2x. I will try that again, but with one of the Mario kart rips, i'm sure I already tried 2x speed. I will try again tonight and see what happens. I did see something about an update on Super mario Squash Brothers or something, that this game might need? What is that all about?

  7. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Update:

    Bought some more Verbatim DVD-Rs and this time ensured I burnt using book type set to DVD-ROM and speed set to 4x..... Mario kart now works! Awesome. I can't believe how fussy it is. I had no idea write speed would affect it so much. For me, 1x and 2x do not work, and I literally have to set it to 4x to get it to work. Anyway, only thin I have noticed is that sometimes the load times seem to take longer than I expected, but since I am new to the Wii, I can't say for sure if this would be the same with an original copy of Mario Kart anyway.

    Right, thread can be closed.

    Thanks for your help. Now I just need to fix my auto boot "return to wii menu black screen" problem.

  8. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Changing booktype to DVD-ROM is only relevant for DVD+R media, though...

    Apparently it varies a lot how much trouble people have with the burn speed and media brands. I have tested a number of different DVD-R media (including different versions of Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media) as well as DVD+R (booktype set to DVD-ROM), with different burn speeds (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x). In total I have tested around 150 discs on 40 different games, and I have not had one single bad burn! But again, some other users have reported a lot of problems with this.

    AFAIK the issue has nothing to do with the DriveKey chip as such - it is a general issue relating to the burning of media on your PC and the sensitivity of the Wii DVD drive. So the problem should be the same for all users of modchips, whichever brand.

    Wrt load times, check out this interesting thread from ther WiiNewz forum: GMODZ/MADMODS Drivespeed Test 6x vs 3x - WiiNewz - Wii modchip & hacking community

  9. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Cons, I'm happy for now that everything is stable and seems to work. Seems the Wii really is very picky with media and burns. What is interesting, is that I used Verbatim different batch from before that I never have problems with for video recordings (printable versions) and these were the problem discs. Switched to new style verbatim batch non printable, and these are the ones that are now working.

  10. #9
    Junior Member Prarieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoNS View Post
    Changing booktype to DVD-ROM is only relevant for DVD+R media, though...

    Apparently it varies a lot how much trouble people have with the burn speed and media brands. I have tested a number of different DVD-R media (including different versions of Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media) as well as DVD+R (booktype set to DVD-ROM), with different burn speeds (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x). In total I have tested around 150 discs on 40 different games, and I have not had one single bad burn! But again, some other users have reported a lot of problems with this.

    AFAIK the issue has nothing to do with the DriveKey chip as such - it is a general issue relating to the burning of media on your PC and the sensitivity of the Wii DVD drive. So the problem should be the same for all users of modchips, whichever brand.

    Wrt load times, check out this interesting thread from ther WiiNewz forum: GMODZ/MADMODS Drivespeed Test 6x vs 3x - WiiNewz - Wii modchip & hacking community
    Cons:

    I think the problem is more in their burner than it is in the media used. I also have not had a bad burn on alot of different kinds of discs, most of them are recommended that we not use.

  11. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
    Seems the Wii really is very picky with media and burns. What is interesting, is that I used Verbatim different batch from before that I never have problems with for video recordings (printable versions) and these were the problem discs. Switched to new style verbatim batch non printable, and these are the ones that are now working.
    Yeah, strange. Again, apparently it differs a lot from user to user. I have a batch of printable Verbatim DVD-Rs and a batch of normal, non-printable Verbatim DVD-Rs in use right now, and both of them work flawlessly with my Wii (as well as for DVD movies, PS2 games etc.).

    Quote Originally Posted by Prarieboy View Post
    I think the problem is more in their burner than it is in the media used. I also have not had a bad burn on alot of different kinds of discs, most of them are recommended that we not use.
    I think you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •