Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Not reading discs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unhappy Not reading discs

    I just finished installing a D2PRO modchip using the alternate points (https://www.quantronics.com.au/esupp...temid=47&nav=0).

    After reassembling I put in an original wii disc to make sure it read correctly, but no such luck. The system tries to read it and then puts an error on the screen.

    I thought maybe I screwed up with the chip and one of the points are not making proper contact even though they seem to be, so I removed the power wire from the D2Pro, which I thought would disable the chip so it would be the same as having it not installed at all, but there was no change.

    When I turn the Wii on the chip LED turns on for a second and then goes out. I'm not sure what the LED is supposed to do or mean.

    Anyone have an idea as to what I screwed up? The only thing that makes sense to me right now is that one of the wires is not making proper contact with the dvd circuit board which prevents a game from loading regardless if the chip has its power source or not. I just hate to redo what already took so much time when that might not even be the cause.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bridged solder joint on the pin/via legs? Get a jewelers loop and look really closely at the solder connections.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I looked very closely at the legs on the actual D2C chip and none of the legs are bridged for sure. I originally tried doing the install by soldering directly to the legs but decided after the 2nd wire to do the alternate. I made sure to remove any solder with desoldering braid.

    I have attached the diagram that I used to install. These directions do not require solder to the chip legs at all.

    Thanks for your input so far, I need to get this thing working, my wife would probably kill me if I had to buy another dvd drive.

    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Alright I completely removed the modchip and the wii works fine. Bad solder connection to the alternate points? Wires too long? The wires are about 12-inches which shouldn't matter but I'm new to soldering consoles.

    Any tips on doing the standard install to the D2C chip legs? Put a small amount of flux on the leg and a small amount of solder on the wire tip and touch them with a soldering iron for a second?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    After completely removing the modchip I have no reinstalled it using the standard install diagram v1.1 posted on d2pro.com. I have checked and rechecked all soldering connections and they are pristine on the chip legs with no bridging.

    When inserting an original disc (super mario galaxy, have not tried any duplicates), no status lights light up on the chip and the drive fails to read the disc. This is the same condition I was experiencing previously with the alternate install (which I now know was a good install). The only conclusion I can reach is that the chip I have received is faulty. I have tried with the region mode enabled and disabled (when enabled all optional region wires were connected and JP1 was bridged on the chip; when disabled all wires were disconnected from the chip and JP1 was un-bridged).

    I bought this chip from foundmy .com. Is there a known bad batch of these chips? Should I contact Foundmy directly?

  6. #6
    Admin / Super Mod ModderMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    GVR
    Posts
    8,841
    Thanks
    758
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by novacoke View Post
    After completely removing the modchip I have no reinstalled it using the standard install diagram v1.1 posted on d2pro.com. I have checked and rechecked all soldering connections and they are pristine on the chip legs with no bridging.

    When inserting an original disc (super mario galaxy, have not tried any duplicates), no status lights light up on the chip and the drive fails to read the disc. This is the same condition I was experiencing previously with the alternate install (which I now know was a good install). The only conclusion I can reach is that the chip I have received is faulty. I have tried with the region mode enabled and disabled (when enabled all optional region wires were connected and JP1 was bridged on the chip; when disabled all wires were disconnected from the chip and JP1 was un-bridged).

    I bought this chip from foundmy .com. Is there a known bad batch of these chips? Should I contact Foundmy directly?

    try shorting out the "4X" black diode right next to the ground pad....

    Wiihacks Super Mod / Admin

  7. #7
    Junior Member wakra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile

    try getting it in a modding shop and they will know the problem.
    what is your dvd drive if it is d2c it should work fine.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ModderMan View Post
    try shorting out the "4X" black diode right next to the ground pad....
    Just short it out by bridging both sides with wire or remove the diode and bridge it? What is doing this supposed to do? Thanks for your input!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wakra View Post
    try getting it in a modding shop and they will know the problem.
    what is your dvd drive if it is d2c it should work fine.
    At this point I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew where one was around here... Western Michigan
    Last edited by novacoke; 04-10-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •