Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: WBFS 3.0 to HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    WBFS 3.0 to HD

    I am confused on this one. With WBFS I can put ISO on to a USB stick (kingston 2.0) and put in wii and play no problem but that same ISO on to my HHD (WD My Book 2T) and I get black screen when trying to load then goes back to wii menu. I have looked and all the posts I see says that it did not work either way but in my situation I only have a problem with my HHD. I used WBFS to format this hard drive and use the usb loader gx to put games on the hard drive no problem playing or backing up. The only problem is putting ISOs on my hard drive through WBFS and playing them with usb loader gx. Is there anyone else having this problem? Is there something wrong with my hard drive? Do I not have the right settings on WBFS and putting the ISO on the wrong part of the hard drive?

    Hard drive is FAT32
    loader is usb loader gx
    wii is 4.2u
    WBFS is 3.0
    HHD is WD My Book 2T
    OS is Windows XP

    thanks

  2. #2
    WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Senior Moderator
    Pob3008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    6,834
    Thanks
    918
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    I am confused on this one. With WBFS I can put ISO on to a USB stick (kingston 2.0) and put in wii and play no problem but that same ISO on to my HHD (WD My Book 2T) and I get black screen when trying to load then goes back to wii menu. I have looked and all the posts I see says that it did not work either way but in my situation I only have a problem with my HHD. I used WBFS to format this hard drive and use the usb loader gx to put games on the hard drive no problem playing or backing up. The only problem is putting ISOs on my hard drive through WBFS and playing them with usb loader gx. Is there anyone else having this problem? Is there something wrong with my hard drive? Do I not have the right settings on WBFS and putting the ISO on the wrong part of the hard drive?

    Hard drive is FAT32
    loader is usb loader gx
    wii is 4.2u
    WBFS is 3.0
    HHD is WD My Book 2T
    OS is Windows XP

    thanks
    Your hard drive is compatible, have you formatted it to wbfs, if so maybe you may have to make multiple partions because i believe the wii only capable of 500g.
    Last edited by Pob3008; 01-30-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: revise

  3. #3
    Member lfc4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    878
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 368 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pob3008 View Post
    Your hard drive is compatible, have you formatted it to wbfs, if so maybe you will have to make multiple partions because the wii only capable of 500g.
    There are no limits on disk size for the Wii, only a 500 game limit on what the USB Loaders can handle.

    And there is no need to format it to WBFS if the OP doesn't wish to.

    Is it all one partition?

    If it is all FAT32 then try putting some HBC apps on (copy the SD Card to it) and try loading HBC from the USB HDD and see if your Wii is talking to your USB HDD first.
    Please remember your manners - say Thank You if someone helped , it doesn't hurt

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As soon as I get home I will try, I think I made the whole hd one partition. I will try to put the homebrew programs on the hd and see if the wii will see them. When I attach the hd to the computer it asks me to format and I do not but I try to open the drive and it will not let me (this means its all one partition right?). How will I put the homebrew programs on the hard drive if I can not open the drive? Yes the hard drive has been formatted to WBFS. If I back up the wii game with the wii and usb loader gx they play fine but if I load the wii game with WBFS usb loader gx sees the game but will not load it (just get black screen for about 1 min then the wii menu loads back up).

    I am using WBFS 3.0 64x
    thinking of updating to WBFS 3.0.1 RTWx86

    any thoughts?
    Last edited by Schlep; 01-30-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: update

  5. #5
    WiiHacks Staff
    Only Site Donators Can PM Staff
    Senior Moderator
    Pob3008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    6,834
    Thanks
    918
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    As soon as I get home I will try, I think I made the whole hd one partition. I will try to put the homebrew programs on the hd and see if the wii will see them. When I attach the hd to the computer it asks me to format and I do not but I try to open the drive and it will not let me (this means its all one partition right?). How will I put the homebrew programs on the hard drive if I can not open the drive? Yes the hard drive has been formatted to WBFS. If I back up the wii game with the wii and usb loader gx they play fine but if I load the wii game with WBFS usb loader gx sees the game but will not load it (just get black screen for about 1 min then the wii menu loads back up).

    I am using WBFS 3.0 64x
    thinking of updating to WBFS 3.0.1 RTWx86

    any thoughts?
    Also, make sure the hd is plugged in the outer usb port of your wii.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well tried it and nothing. The usb cord is plugged in correct usb slot. I have tried putting the game on the usb stick then transfering it to the hard drive but no luck. right now I am unloading all the games on to my computer and try to reformat the hard drive to see if that helps. I am not sure how to put the homebrew apps on the hard drive after it is formated for WBFS. When I reformat it I am going to use fat32 and partition it so I can put the apps on it. (well I am hoping to do this). I just can not figure this one out not sure why it will not take a ISO file and put it on my hard drive and work.

  7. #7
    Member lfc4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    878
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 368 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    I am not sure how to put the homebrew apps on the hard drive after it is formated for WBFS. When I reformat it I am going to use fat32 and partition it so I can put the apps on it.
    I think you are confused as to what you wish to achieve here.

    First off, I would make sure the Wii is able to communicate with the USB HDD, and the best way would be to test the drive before adding many games, which as you have found out it time consuming and cumbersome.

    1 step at a time.

    Get the whole drive into 1 partition and formatted to FAT32, copy your SD Card to the USB Drive, plug the drive into the Wii and see if you can load HBC from the USB HDD, then you will know the drive and the Wii are communicating, then you can take it from there.
    Please remember your manners - say Thank You if someone helped , it doesn't hurt

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the response.
    I believe that the HD is communicating but just to make sure I am formatting the whole HD to FAT32 and then I am going to put the files that are on my SD card on my HD to see if they communicate, then Im going to partition my hard drive so I keep FAT32 as primary then the rest as NTFS and use WBFS to format the NTFS so that is where the games are to be kept. From there we will see if I can put downloaded games on the hard drive and USB Loader GX will play them. Hopefully after all this I will be able to.

    Right now I am trying to format the HD to FAT32 (2TB takes a long time).

  9. #9
    Member lfc4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    878
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 368 Times in 311 Posts
    If you remove the partitions, create a new partition, then do a quickformat to FAT32, it will take less than 2 mins.

    You could leave the whole lot in FAT32, it will do your Wii Games, USB Launchers, HBC Apps, WiiWare and can do backup to any PC files (less then 4GB though).

    There is no real reason to go to WBFS if you don't wish to, most USB Loaders do FAT32:

    USB Loader Releases - WikiTemp

    So let's get it going in FAT32 mode first & foremost though, when formatted do the SD Card to USB Disk copy and take it from there.
    Please remember your manners - say Thank You if someone helped , it doesn't hurt

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wii and hdd are not communicating. I used EASEUS and created partitions (1 510MB FAT32, and 2 NTFS slit the rest of 2TB) I put all the programs on the SD card on the FAT32 section of the hard drive and opened homebrew and there was nothing there I am asuming that means HDD and wii are not communicating. What am I doing wrong?

    FAT32 is primary
    1 NTFS is primary
    1 NTFS is Logical

    something is wrong this HDD is compatible but will not communicate with my wii 4.2u any help will be appriciated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •