Mysterious Brick: Went Bad Over Time - Good Drive, Wifi and Bluetooth - Still Dead??
I don't usually post (solve most problems on my own with available forum and net resources), but this here is a stumper.
Been having problems with my softmodded bootmii on boot2 wii for a while. Started not booting sometimes (black screen) and would need to reset. Got progressively worse and worse, to the point where it would only boot on days it felt like it (or if I stood there and powered off and on 20-50 times). Now it's gotten to the point where it seems it wont boot at all (or would take way more time to stand there and cycle power than I'm sanely willing to contribute).
Having read about wifi and bluetooth modules needing to be functional to boot (and bad ones being the cause of most hardware bricks), and having "theoretically" isolated the issue to the wifi board (via savemiifrii), I ordered a replacement, popped open wii, installed it, and still no dice.
So, not to be outdone, and knowing the disc drive on this system had been out for ages, I finally borrowed a fully working wii; disc drive reads discs, remotes sync, and wifi connects. I took the disc drive, wifi, and bluetooth from the working wii, popped them in mine, and LOW AND BEHOLD -- still nothing. unresponsive black screen. dumbfounded.
- On the times of no boot, I am strangely not even able get to bootmii ...ie, it too worked sporadically until null, as the title screen.
- Even on black screen (no boot), everything lights up and spins (power light, fan, disk drive and light, and tv flickers (but no title screen)
- I am able to turn on the wii with the wiimote (so assuming bluetooth connections are in order)
- 2 "states" of black screen: one where I could still sync the remote (and turn off the wii with it) and reset button was operational, and one where there was no response at all, and I had to hold down the power button or unplug (the state I seem to be stuck in now).
- I've tried two different inputs on my tv (which work otherwise), and two different av cables (which work otherwise; one component one composite) -- same deal.
- when I was last getting "good" black screens, and was able to check, I did a savemiifrii and it did show the 4.3 USA at the bottom.
- I assume it is not a software brick, as it would work fine occasionally, and the black screen prevents even boot2 bootmii from loading.
So fellas, oh royal wiizards...
Is there any hope for this wii? (with all my precious save data and mii profiles on it... and it's "coveted" boot2 motherboard)